Slant 6 timing help- Torqstorm and Sniper EFI

-
You couldda already have picked up some chicks by now with a carburetor.

To pick up a chicken, follow these steps:

1. Approach Calmly: Chickens can be skittish, so approach them slowly and calmly. Avoid sudden movements or loud noises.
  2. Secure the Wings: Gently place one hand over the chicken’s back, securing its wings against its body. This prevents flapping and helps you maintain control.
  3. Lift with Both Hands: Use your other hand to scoop up the chicken from underneath. Lift it by supporting its body with both hands. Keep the chicken close to your chest to prevent it from struggling.
  4. Hold Firmly but Gently: Chickens are delicate, so avoid squeezing too tightly. Hold them firmly enough to prevent escape but gently enough to avoid causing harm.
  5. Keep Calm: If the chicken squirms or flaps, stay calm. Talk soothingly to reassure it. Once you have a good grip, you can carry it to its destination.
Remember, practice makes perfect! Handling chickens becomes easier with experience.

1. Approach Calmly: Chickens can be skittish, so approach them slowly and calmly. Avoid sudden movements or loud noises.
  2. Secure the Wings: Gently place one hand over the chicken’s back, securing its wings against its body. This prevents flapping and helps you maintain control.
  3. Lift with Both Hands: Use your other hand to scoop up the chicken from underneath. Lift it by supporting its body with both hands. Keep the chicken close to your chest to prevent it from struggling.
  4. Hold Firmly but Gently: Chickens are delicate, so avoid squeezing too tightly. Hold them firmly enough to prevent escape but gently enough to avoid causing harm.
  5. Keep Calm: If the chicken squirms or flaps, stay calm. Talk soothingly to reassure it. Once you have a good grip, you can carry it to its destination.
Remember, practice makes perfect! Handling chickens becomes easier with experience.
:rofl:

Last time I caught them with a hand held fishing net. Then took them to the hatchet............

Regarding chicks, not interested. I was married twice already and not dumb enough to fall for that a third time! Regarding chickens, I do like those but usually get them pre-de-winged and slathered in buffalo sauce.

You think there’s any less tuning involved with a blow through supercharged carbureted application? There might be less setup, but the amount of work involved is similar.

You think there’s any less tuning involved with a blow through supercharged carbureted application? There might be less setup, but the amount of work involved is similar.
For me, yes.

Are you being theoretical? Or have you actually set up and tuned a blow through supercharged carbureted set up? If so what was it?
Blow through. No. Not yet. I have built and tuned a few roots blown engines. I plan to again.

Blow through. No. Not yet. I have built and tuned a few roots blown engines. I plan to again.
Gotcha. So you were being theoretical. I don’t doubt your carb tuning ability but until you’ve pulled your hair out one by one trying to dial in a blow through carb (turbo or supercharged) you won’t understand why I questioned your statement.

Gotcha. So you were being theoretical. I don’t doubt your carb tuning ability but until you’ve pulled your hair out one by one trying to dial in a blow through carb (turbo or supercharged) you won’t understand why I questioned your statement.
I'm sure you're right. The trick to carburetor tuning is one thing and one thing only. Don't give up. Sometimes it just takes some time.

Good news. Cut all the unused wires out of the factory harness, rewrapped it, reinstalled, and the car still managed to start when done. I must not have accidentally cut out anything important!

I'm pretty happy with how the install is turning out to look. I'm excited to get to drive it again soon.

20240528_221448.jpg

On the supercharger kit do they offer different crank pulleys? Mix and match pulley sizes can be fun (NOT) but you can dial in the shaft speed and PSI. Sometimes a 1/2 inch change on just the top pulley can be too much.

And you want as large of pulleys, matched of course, so the belt has better grip. Might not matter on a \6.

Good news. Cut all the unused wires out of the factory harness, rewrapped it, reinstalled, and the car still managed to start when done. I must not have accidentally cut out anything important!

I'm pretty happy with how the install is turning out to look. I'm excited to get to drive it again soon.

View attachment 1716255696
That does look a LOT cleaner than 99% of turbo or blower installs I've ever seen. That's nice.

On the supercharger kit do they offer different crank pulleys? Mix and match pulley sizes can be fun (NOT) but you can dial in the shaft speed and PSI. Sometimes a 1/2 inch change on just the top pulley can be too much.

And you want as large of pulleys, matched of course, so the belt has better grip. Might not matter on a \6.

I believe the crank pulley is always the same but they offer 3, 3.5, and 4 inch ones to go on the blower. Mine came with the 3.5 inch.

That does look a LOT cleaner than 99% of turbo or blower installs I've ever seen. That's nice.

Thank you. I've put a lot of effort into trying make it look as clean as possible without lots of extra stuff everywhere.

I spent today installing and wiring a tach, oil pressure, volt meter, and boost gauges. Also got the interior put back in.

Fairly confident the first test drive will happen tomorrow... Fingers crossed.

20240601_201947.jpg
20240601_202028.jpg

Did the first drive to the gas station and O'Reilly for more tranny fluid. It made it!

Didn't push it at all bit can definitely feel more power. Only went to about 2.5 psi of boost before I let off.

Manual steering is going to take some getting used to- Never had a car with that before

Put about 45 miles more on tonight. Haven't really given it hell shifting by myself on the column, but just getting on it in drive it seems to shift about 3500 rpm and developing about 3.25 lbs boost at shift.

One thing I'm gonna need to figure out is the blow off valve - right now when I'm on it the purge is closed so I don't have a big air blast. When I let off obviously there is a loud purge. But when I'm just at cruise I have a pretty good amount of blow off sound... may be perfectly normal but it just seems more than I'd have expected (again- not an expert so it may be completely normal)

Been doing some more reading and youtube learning... Sounds like my noise at cruise is perfectly normal... Will have to see if my sanity can tolerate it! LOL

Sounds like there are a few things that can be done to lessen the sound at cruise- I'll have to see how it goes as I continue to drive it.

I got the modification needed done at the exhaust shop today, so thankfully the column shift linkage isn't dragging against the exhaust anymore. Made it much easier to do some shifting on my own tonight.

I'm up to almost 100 miles on it so far since starting on Sunday. Running really well - really haven't played with timing or anything yet but will get into that soon.

For reference, ran it up to about 5000 rpm tonight and boost was about 7 psi there. Nothing exploded that I could see, so I guess that's a good sign.

I do see I'm getting a little oil collecting on top of the valve cover around the PCV Valve. Perhaps there is something special I need to do there- time for more research.

20240604_205317.jpg

Blow-By is always an issue on pressure fed engines. Ring control goes all wonky with pressure and HEAT.

Someone asked early in this post if you had opened up the top piston ring end gap.

I got the modification needed done at the exhaust shop today, so thankfully the column shift linkage isn't dragging against the exhaust anymore. Made it much easier to do some shifting on my own tonight.

I'm up to almost 100 miles on it so far since starting on Sunday. Running really well - really haven't played with timing or anything yet but will get into that soon.

For reference, ran it up to about 5000 rpm tonight and boost was about 7 psi there. Nothing exploded that I could see, so I guess that's a good sign.

I do see I'm getting a little oil collecting on top of the valve cover around the PCV Valve. Perhaps there is something special I need to do there- time for more research.

View attachment 1716258558
Make sure there is a baffle inside the valve cover, below the PCV valve, to keep direct oil splash off that valve/gromet.

Blow-By is always an issue on pressure fed engines. Ring control goes all wonky with pressure and HEAT.

Someone asked early in this post if you had opened up the top piston ring end gap.

I have not opened ring gap. As of now, the whole head and bottom end are completely stock. I have read about opening ring gap before but was hoping that with the relatively low boost numbers I was expecting, it wouldn't be an issue.

I do expect at some point to likely do a bottom end rebuild and likely some head upgrades, but was hoping to leave that for a project for a future winter. I did recently start gathering some parts as I got a set of forged pistons that were part of a group buy over on the slant six site.

-
Back