Slant six lathe

-

azaustin

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
There is an interesting article on Hemmings today about a guy who built a lathe out of two slant six blocks. It might offend some slantyphiles but it’s interesting reading.

Seems it would be much simpler to find an old used lathe. They are not hard to find and usually are pretty cheap.
Looks like the bottom slant in the pic threw a rod so no shame in repurposing that one. I would say use a chevy straight six but then your lathe would be breaking down all the time.

That looks like a lot of work. When I first saw the title, I assumed they used the crank and mains for the headstock

If you are in a third world county, this concept saves a lot of machine work. I once saw plans for a horizontal mill using this concept.

Just as a "somewhat comparison," the earlier South Bend lathes did not have ANYTHING for bearings. The headstock iron casting was precision machined, and the spindle ran direct on the cast iron, with added lube, of course.

I have been on that site for years- love it. it's a hobby of it's own doing that kind of stuff, and makes total sense when you think of the precise surfaces to work with, and that fact that there were so many /6s made

-
Back