Slow build 71 Scamp 440

-
Ok lifters bought and also grabbed some swag. I’ll pop them in and do a measure with the factory rockers. Then we’ll take a look at push rods. My stamped factory rockers may just be adequate with that cam but those aluminum roller rockers are enticing and probably better option.

IMG_1021.jpeg

Ok lifters bought and also grabbed some swag. I’ll pop them in and do a measure with the factory rockers. Then we’ll take a look at push rods. My stamped factory rockers may just be adequate with that cam but those aluminum roller rockers are enticing and probably better option.

View attachment 1716300120
The factory stamped rockers will want a ball end, not the cup end that’s on the measuring tool you bought. Aluminum rockers will likely use the cup end (but not always)…maybe use that as your motivation to get those rockers you want;). Also, I don’t know big block typical length, but that measuring tool is listed for small blocks.

The factory stamped rockers will want a ball end, not the cup end that’s on the measuring tool you bought. Aluminum rockers will likely use the cup end (but not always)…maybe use that as your motivation to get those rockers you want;). Also, I don’t know big block typical length, but that measuring tool is listed for small blocks.

Dammit. Lol I was eying up the Mancini rocker setup. That tool was listed as having one of the larger measurement lengths as a quick Amazon search netted smaller max lengths. Not sure it shipped yet and could cancel that tool unless you think it will work with that setup in the link. Thanks for your input

Mancini Racing Aluminum Roller Rocker Arms

Dammit. Lol I was eying up the Mancini rocker setup. That tool was listed as having one of the larger measurement lengths as a quick Amazon search netted smaller max lengths. Not sure it shipped yet and could cancel that tool unless you think it will work with that setup in the link. Thanks for your input

Mancini Racing Aluminum Roller Rocker Arms
Flat out, I don’t know enough about big blocks to provide enough assistance other than to know cup vs ball and that they have a longer distance from lifter to rocker than small blocks.

Mancini shows a set of pushrods at just over 9”, which would mean the length checker you ordered won’t work. But, you should really check with Mancini or someone on here might have more experience to better guide you.

Here’s a link to a Mancini set for an RB with hydraulic lifters for reference:
Mancini RB Eng, Hyd. Pushrod Set, Chromemoly

Hopefully you can cancel the checker before having to pay to send it back!

Here’s the longer version, maybe they can swap it in the order:
Proform Parts 67557 Proform Pushrod Length Checkers | Summit Racing

And………….. the truck has left the building with the small block tool. So this is a good lesson to learn. Just because it pops up as the recommended tool read the description so you get the right tool. Computers aren’t always right.

So now I need to build a small block engine after the big block is done to justify my wrong purchase. Just cost myself 5 grand

And………….. the truck has left the building with the small block tool. So this is a good lesson to learn. Just because it pops up as the recommended tool read the description so you get the right tool. Computers aren’t always right.

So now I need to build a small block engine after the big block is done to justify my wrong purchase. Just cost myself 5 grand
How so?

Ok well I think it’s probably a good idea to order a timing chain set. I grabbed the Eddy 7804. It will be adequate and I can use what I saved to buy the Mancini rocker set.

So some weird gremlins on the Scamp. Back lights went out………. Easy enough. It was the 20amp fuse. I may have caused that messing around with the deck I installed.
Then I went to start it and nothing. So I started the troubleshooting.
Checked battery Good
Check everything before the firewall Good
Checked in car Nothing
Fiddled with wires at firewall connection (outside)!! Bingo
Looks like we’re at that stage.
I’ll pull it all apart and clean it well and run an extra wire from the alt to the battery.

Ordered my rockers today and went with the Mancini Racing Aluminum Roller Rocker Arm Kit 1.5 with billet aluminum hold downs by Harland Sharp.

Installed the lifters, oil pump/distributor shaft and popped the plugs in loose to keep **** out of the bores.

Timing chain and gears should be here any day and that will get the front sealed up.

Also will sort out the oil pump tomorrow and see if the one donated to me will do the job.

Also update on the electrical: Blown fuse on the rear lights/dash and found a loose ground on the drivers front marker. The power throughout the car is back. This leaves me with little confidence in the bulkhead so I’ll run the bypass wire from the alt over to the battery or the relay just beside the battery. 8 gauge with twin eyelets?

Mancini Racing Aluminum Roller Rocker Arm Kit

IMG_1098.png

-
Back