Small block + 4 speed build

-
Carb looks good on this TF single plane. To my surprise carb is square jetted without power valves on both ends. I have the same approach in my Duster with 2x4 so I’m not too worried, but I did not expect that.

IMG_5990.jpeg

Before this engine goes together I need to finish 605ci hemi, bottom end is all together and heads are bolted down. Just ordered pushrods for this. Should be ready in a week or two.

IMG_6090.jpeg

Decided to go with Hughes hydraulic roller magnum 238/242 cam paired with Hughes 5006S lifters. I think it should allow me to get 500+ without problems.

Hemi is done and small block parts are on the plane. I’ll have busy January I guess!

IMG_6296.jpeg

I did not mention earlier on that 360 block is a magnum block and i am not experienced with these things at all. I got Harland Sharp 1.6 ratio rockers dedicated for magnums with pushrod oiling.
Also intake and carb finally got here with timing set and other smaller parts.
Someone locally offered me Hughes magnum hyd roller cam with their performance lifters option which is smaller than I initially planned, but not terrible.
Spec is 238/[email protected]” 109lsa, 104 intake centerline. This will be .578’/.587” lift with my rockers.
Thinking of I should pull the trigger on this.

Decided to go with Hughes hydraulic roller magnum 238/242 cam paired with Hughes 5006S lifters. I think it should allow me to get 500+ without problems.
It’ll do 500hp. IMO, It’ll do it with a RPM intake. IMO, it’ll work better with the 3.73’s and not the 3.55’s (though possible) & that 28” tire.

It’ll do 500hp. IMO, It’ll do it with a RPM intake. IMO, it’ll work better with the 3.73’s and not the 3.55’s (though possible) & that 28” tire.
Yes I agree that it will make 500+ for sure, there is a nice power nation video on YouTube with basically identical combo making around 540hp. Cam they used is a little bit smaller but very very close.

My car was built to be a street/strip car and is a stick. The 360 stroker makes 550hp/5800 and 550tq/4400, it pulls to 6500 with ease and is built to run a 150 shot of nitrous. It has ootb trickflow heads, 11.1 compression, ootb rpm air gap with an 850 blp carb, a racer brown sft with 256/256 @ .050 on a 107 ls, .582 lift with 1.5 mancini rockers.

To me the easy button is to run some icon 9978 pistons Icon FHR Pistons IC9978-030 Fits SB Chrysler 408 Dish 13cc Bore 4.030. They feature a small 13 cc dish, 4032 forging and are reasonably priced. The downside is they sit .015 lower in the hole than the more expensive ic745 but to adjust compression/quench just get a cometic 4.080 head gasket in anything from .027-.032 (for the same price) to get to 11-11.2 or so compression. Use your heads and rpm intake, a cam from racer brown and you would have a virtual clone of my engine if that is what you want.
OK I ordered the same pistons you are running. Decided to use the Hughes cam 238/[email protected]” 109lsa, 104 intake centerline, cam came with factory style lifters but slow bleed version from Hughes to save some budget as it was a great deal. This will have decent .578’/.587” lift with 1.6 ratio Harland Sharp rockers (that killed my budget saved on cam and lifters combo) recommended to use with tf190 heads rockers with pushrod oiling on magnum block. Do you remember how deep in the hole these pistons sit?

I have 2 types of connecting rods that could be used for this: Eagle SIR 6123CB I beams and Eagle 6123C3D H beams. I like the weight of these I beams but I'm a bit worried these are too weak for this build. Eagle rates these I beams to 500hp and 6000rpm, which seems conservative? Anybody has some experience with these? Frankly these I beams are waiting for their turn for some years now and I'm always worried to use them. Am I overreacting?

My W2 head, 10.1:1 408 , made 547hp and 562 torque with a Hughes hydraulic roller .

20151223_094123.jpg

OK I ordered the same pistons you are running. Decided to use the Hughes cam 238/[email protected]” 109lsa, 104 intake centerline, cam came with factory style lifters but slow bleed version from Hughes to save some budget as it was a great deal. This will have decent .578’/.587” lift with 1.6 ratio Harland Sharp rockers (that killed my budget saved on cam and lifters combo) recommended to use with tf190 heads rockers with pushrod oiling on magnum block. Do you remember how deep in the hole these pistons sit?

Depending on the block you should need to mill around .010-.015 off to achieve zero deck, at least that has been my experience.

Depending on the block you should need to mill around .010-.015 off to achieve zero deck, at least that has been my experience.
I will probably do that as I want to deck it anyway, the same money where I am. This way I can skip 170$ cometic .027 head gaskets and use standard 1008 felpro.

Mock it up on the magnum block before you cut anything. The deck hight (magnum vs La) is different.

I like your cam more than the one I got but it was too good deal to pass. Lots of port work on W2s? Aluminium or cast iron?
The W2 heads are iron. I have the closed chamber 769 casting heads, and they have been ported. They have not been ported to max, or fully hogged out, as mine is mostly a street application. Intake flow is 297cfm at .550-.600 lift, exhaust I'd have to look up to be sure as it's been a while since I reviewed the data.

Pistons are .01” down the hole. I was targeting .045” piston to head distance so will take off .005”. Block was machined before.
Frankly I’m debating with myself weather not to leave it as is. With 1008 head gasket it puts me at .049” piston to head distance which is not bad at all. Will be .044” if decks get machined.
What do you guys think?

IMG_6959.jpeg

Pistons are .01” down the hole. I was targeting .045” piston to head distance so will take off .005”. Block was machined before.
Frankly I’m debating with myself weather not to leave it as is. With 1008 head gasket it puts me at .049” piston to head distance which is not bad at all. Will be .044” if decks get machined.
What do you guys think?

View attachment 1716212987

Send it. .005 of quench won’t make a pinch of **** difference.

The juice is not worth the squeeze. I’d not tear is back down and machine it for .005 more quench.

Block is now bare and at machine shop. It was machined before tear down and assembled. It sat with iron heads torqued down for a few years, no heat cycles. I will know this week if decks are flat or not and decide what to do. I kind of like to get my numbers where I want them...
Some progress photos are coming soon.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 1716212987
Cometic gaskets can send you what you need or super close to it.
Your looking for a .045 quench, with a piston sitting in the hole .010, your looking at a .035 head gasket. See if you can find that thickness and with the proper cylinder bore size. If you can’t find one, call Cometic.

Cometic gaskets can send you what you need or super close to it.
Your looking for a .045 quench, with a piston sitting in the hole .010, your looking at a .035 head gasket. See if you can find that thickness and with the proper cylinder bore size. If you can’t find one, call Cometic.
Cometic makes a #C-5457-036 (4.125" bore x .036 thick) for a reference.

Well it all sounds great, but I guarantee those 5/16 pushrods are gonna flex at high RPM. Been there, done that.

Well it all sounds great, but I guarantee those 5/16 pushrods are gonna flex at high RPM. Been there, done that.
Holy crap! It’s Iron Mike! Hey Mike! How’s it goin?

-
Back