Small block bottom build horsepower limit

-
F#$k david vizard
I think most of his stuff is pretty factually accurate. But he characterizes all this very labor intensive/high expertise stuff as low buck. Like his lightweight crank mods. That **** would cost a ton of money.

My .02 is this......
If you make solidly over 600hp with a stock block, and run it like that regularly.........you shouldn’t be too surprised if it doesn’t last forever.

The bottom line is, people are to either going cough up the $$$ for the aftermarket block (if they want that extra layer of insurance)........or they won’t.

I think 3-5 years from now we will know a lot more. More people are making 600 plus horsepower than ever before with stock blocks. The small block guys are pedal to the metal and shaming the big block guys. It’s amazing to me just how fast a stock pushrod location Edelbrock style head will go. And new bests are coming. Trust me.

I think most of his stuff is pretty factually accurate. But he characterizes all this very labor intensive/high expertise stuff as low buck. Like his lightweight crank mods. That **** would cost a ton of money.
IF! If you do the work itself, it’s cheap. After your done doing the work, you’ll probably weigh the cost and be happy to hand it off and pat the piper. I’ll not be lightening my crank any time soon.

IF! If you do the work itself, it’s cheap. After your done doing the work, you’ll probably weigh the cost and be happy to hand it off and pat the piper. I’ll not be lightening my crank any time soon.

Of course that’s not factoring the cost of the tooling.

I don't think David Vizard is the last word when it comes to engine performance, but for most of us who's not a pro builders with dynos, flow benches etc.., he's one of the main guys making information available to the masses along with people like Richard Holdener, Engine masters etc.. . Decent Information is relatively hard to come by.

I don't think David Vizard is the last word when it comes to engine performance, but for most of us who's not a pro builders with dynos, flow benches etc.., he's one of the main guys making information available to the masses along with people like Richard Holdener, Engine masters etc.. . Decent Information is relatively hard to come by.

I’m going to Google his name some day to see what he looks like. Never watched anything from him. I’m kinda funny that way with musicians and movie stars too. Someone will die and say his or her name and I’ll say who. I love music and it’s on 100% of the time in my shop but I would never pay to see them perform of watch videos.

Can you share the final outcome of this death beating?
There's no final outcome. Just two camps of folks on opposite sides of the fence making the same arguments with no real new information.

PBR is right, more guys making bigger power these days and it'll become more apparent with time.

I'm of the opinion that a conservatively tuned (I e. No detonation) well set up stock block, with a properly setup reciprocating assembly can probably handle quite a lot. I wouldn't be surprised to see it hold up to 1000 hp. I'm not saying it would last a long time, be better than a race block etc. I just think s bunch of the failures people have had have been related to things that aren't the fault of the block.

more guys making bigger power these days and it'll become more apparent with time.
That reminds me of back in the day a bunch worried about strokers wearing out unreasonably fast but years later and it's obviously not a problem.
As 500-550+ plus becomes the new standard for decent build more gonna push into 600 + hp, like you said time will tell.

From the “unobtanium“ archive…… the bottom end on our W5 / 340 block.

IMG_0224.jpeg

-
Back