Small Block Distributor Recommendation

-
If you can't get close to 18 mpg on the highway with the set up you have, the tune is off. Vac adv only helps if you run the mixture lean on cruise.... that's the only place vac advance will help when hooked up to ported vac signal. I'd start by leaning down the cruise before wasting money on a new set up.

Don't recall rear gear in the car. Same basic engine with a 3.2 gear got 20 mpg with a 26" tire.

Use a junkyard dist/box with the timing locked out on the start up stand... that's a cheap way to do it!

Well, it's not entirely poor of a decision. I could use the 10+ year old MSD setup on my engine run stand. None of it will go to waste really. A mile or 3 gain is pretty good for a daily driver. That right there sounds promising.

@Johnny Mac You do bring up a good point there. Keep what I have for now and just save up for the Sniper. I wanted to do it right and get the gas tank and all that, but a $2,000 budget is hard to swallow. The reasons I have for a Sniper would be for better cold starts, hopefully better economy (every mile counts), and not having to worry about elevation changes when I go up to the mountains (on the rare occasions). Also good to know to steer clear from Pertronix stuff.

@autoxcuda I think he did, I can't remember if he used mine or or his own. I know he didn't use my MSD box. Also, he dyno'd it with another carb (a Holley) but that one started leaking so I slapped an Edelbrock on. I need to fix the leak and slap the Holley back on. It's only been sitting on my shelf for a year. LOL

@Mattax and @AJ/FormS How's this 2 stage work? Is it in the springs?

Thanks all, this is all good info.

I run one from these guys ( FBO Performance Ignition for all Makes, Muscle Cars, Street Rods, Race Engines. Specializing in Mopar Ignition Products, Distributors to Computer control ECU's. Home of the HRR688) that has been custom curved and run it with TrailBeast Hei system.
I use it with the Holley Sniper system without using the timing control and it works great.
2K seems a bit high for the Sniper. A Tanks Inc system with the Sniper should be $1400-$1500
still alot of $$ but might be able to get it sooner..

I went with the TSP because of timing control with my FiTech. We we're putting the same distributor in my buddy's twin turbo dual quad FiTech 318 and noticed that the TSP distributor fits on the sloppy side in the timing gear. I checked mine while it was out and it's the same. It looks like there could be about a 5 degree of timing variance. Not sure how to correct it. Just a heads up.

If you can't get close to 18 mpg on the highway with the set up you have, the tune is off. Vac adv only helps if you run the mixture lean on cruise.... that's the only place vac advance will help when hooked up to ported vac signal. I'd start by leaning down the cruise before wasting money on a new set up.

Don't recall rear gear in the car. Same basic engine with a 3.2 gear got 20 mpg with a 26" tire.

Use a junkyard dist/box with the timing locked out on the start up stand... that's a cheap way to do it!

4 speed, 3.23 gears, and 26.7" rear tire (275/40R18).

My A/F guage tells me I'm doing high 14's to low 15's while cruising the highway at about 2500 to 3000 RPM's (depending if I want to keep up with traffic or not. LOL)

It's hard to gauge my MPG because my fuel gauge is wonky, but I took a trip down to San Diego last year and I think I was doing 16 MPG. I gauged that by filling the tank until fuel came out, then when I refilled it until fuel came out I noticed the difference and did the math. Not the most scientific method, but it's the best I could do.

@dgibby Yeah, $2,000 is what I budgeted for the Sniper, tank already assembled with fuel sender and pump (those are kinda expensive) , and fuel lines and any additional relays and wiring I may need for a clean install.

@Mattax That's pretty interesting. Are all factory Mopar distributors built that way? I see the loop there. I guess it allows it to slip as the smaller spring expands and then the spring with the loop engages to slow down the rate. I hope I'm understanding it right.

Not sure what you expect, because 16 mpg is pretty good. You could lean it down a bit more and see how it reacts.

@Mattax That's pretty interesting. Are all factory Mopar distributors built that way? I see the loop there. I guess it allows it to slip as the smaller spring expands and then the spring with the loop engages to slow down the rate. I hope I'm understanding it right.
Yes - you understand it correctly.
Yes - Pretty much all Chrysler distributors worked that way. That includes the Race units (aka tach drive, no vac advance) but for those, it was super fast in, then super long slow - almost like locked, but better. I drove thousands of miles with one, and as great as it was at the track, I can also say its not the best setup for street.
The primary and secondary curves can be started sooner or later by adjusting the spring perches. That much can be done without disassembly. Changing slope requires changing springs.

Edit: Whatever you decide to do, find out the timing curve used when on the dyno. This is going to to be a good baseline, especially for the mid to high rpm where the dyno was fully loading the engine.
If the shop doesn't have it, go measure it yourself. Use timing tape or a dial back light and measure it from as slow as it will idle until it stops advancing.* If it stops before 3500 rpm, then check a couple points at higher rpm, say 4500 and 5500 rpm.

*With the dial back light, I've come to prefer increasing every 2* from the initial and writing down the rpm that corresponds. When I used a timing tape, I generally measured every 200 or 250 rpm. Do whatever you're comfortable with.

Last edited:
Whoever said that the stock ignition is junk on a Mopar doesn't know what the hell they're talking about...
"Stock" parts were pretty good. What makes it "junk" now is that unless you can find good NOS parts, everything made to replace the OEM parts since Chrysler stopped making them is mostly offshore garbage. Especially the electronics.

Went from bone stock ignition to a full-blown MSD everything and did not gain 1/10 in the quarter mile. In my opinion it was a very expensive rev limiter. My old ignition was the one that came with the Slant six and a brand new $79 parts store distributor. And some Summit brand spark plug wires.
Whoever said that the stock ignition is junk on a Mopar doesn't know what the hell they're talking about...

I have to agree 100%
Stock pieces are ecomical and in good repair work excellent.
Very easy to re - curve if you want but stock curve will work O.K.
10 / 36 / 52 will satisfy all but the racers on a 9.6:1 sm. blk

B7CD8CDD-C5E1-4D49-BD18-501232507E8E.gif

I run the jegs billet, it uses “keys” to set the mechanical advance. Works fine with my msd box.

A little update, I wound up replacing my TSP distributor with the MSD. I am not thrilled the fit of the TSP and my timing is now not moving around.

"Stock" parts were pretty good. What makes it "junk" now is that unless you can find good NOS parts, everything made to replace the OEM parts since Chrysler stopped making them is mostly offshore garbage. Especially the electronics.
Totally agree, especially condensers, half of the one I tested failed hot.

I'm a sucker for the factory unit. Let @TrailBeast hook you up with a factory recurved unit. He's a good guy. I like supporting stand up forum members ad he is one.

U are 100 % accurate
Chrysler invented electronic ignition first and its a very accurate and reliable system who wants a Chinese pro-form unit or a Chinese MSD with GM styled internals if u cant find what u want let me know I have a friend in CA who will build u a nice Unit .

20180607_184056.jpg

U are 100 % accurate
Chrysler invented electronic ignition first and its a very accurate and reliable system who wants a Chinese pro-form unit or a Chinese MSD with GM styled internals if u cant find what u want let me know I have a friend in CA who will build u a nice Unit .

View attachment 1715194321

Nice! I picked up a couple distributors from the wrecking yard I just haven't managed to make time to work on the Ignition. Where in CA is your friend?

U are 100 % accurate

View attachment 1715194321

Actually, I like some of the chinkesium stuff. I have one of the GM HEI style ones in my Ford truck. 75 F250, 351M and it runs rock solid timing. Nice hot curve. Been in there over three years now. Runs great.

Nice! I picked up a couple distributors from the wrecking yard I just haven't managed to make time to work on the Ignition. Where in CA is your friend?
Sunland CA
Let me know if u need one and I get u his number I have purchased 4 of his units for RB engines and now my LA project .

Here is one on Flea Bay he is selling go online and save it to your watch list he is Rock solid guy .

Screenshot_2018-07-04-08-41-26.png

Went from bone stock ignition to a full-blown MSD everything and did not gain 1/10 in the quarter mile. In my opinion it was a very expensive rev limiter. My old ignition was the one that came with the Slant six and a brand new $79 parts store distributor. And some Summit brand spark plug wires.
Amen !
Factory unit with good coil and this unit with a built in adjustable rev-limiter should get the job done !!!

Screenshot_2018-07-04-09-03-47.png

Screenshot_2018-07-04-09-04-00.png

Amen !
Factory unit with good coil and this unit with a built in adjustable rev-limiter should get the job done !!!

View attachment 1715194395

View attachment 1715194396
On the other hand I believe that Revelator is also a bit of a gimmick. The one that I had bolted to the firewall from the factory was just as good as anyting aftermarket. My personal rev limiter is my valve springs.

On the other hand I believe that Revelator is also a bit of a gimmick. The one that I had bolted to the firewall from the factory was just as good as anyting aftermarket. My personal rev limiter is my valve springs.

I like your way of thinking !!!

-
Back