Small Block Head Flow Chart - Discussion.

-

TurboGLH

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Trying to keep the sticky only posts with flow info, so making a thread for whatever discussion (if any) people wanted to have. Throwing a link to this thread at the top of the first post, so that should help going forward.

All the flow number can be throw here for/ from however, and then be sifted and added to the spread sheet.

All the flow number can be throw here for/ from however, and then be sifted and added to the spread sheet.

I'll follow everyone's lead, if people would rather post numbers and discussion here that's fine.

My thought was that the sticky would be the spreadsheet, plus posts with more flow info. Allowing us to have a handy chart, with all the original posts that I used to fill the sheet right there.

There is a pretty good article on enginelabs.com about flow testing. It's a good read if your interested in the more important things you learn from a flow bench.

There is a pretty good article on enginelabs.com about flow testing. It's a good read if your interested in the more important things you learn from a flow bench.
What's the big secret? What are all the things you can learn?... What's grinding the short turn?
and most importantly when the hell am I going to get my cheeseburger and I don't eat fast food!!.. wait a minute I just had a cheeseburger tonight...

Unless you do the same uniform hog out, short turn shape...depending on the goal can be different for different heads.

Lamens... the wrong shape can kill one end or the other, high/low flow.
You can get the lot together IF you can widen it enough right before the turn and run an even lip across the top. It's all about the shortest path, one will suck the other down with it

.and then you only have half a port working.
It's not easy, it's sometimes not hard... its science.

Unless you do the same uniform hog out, short turn shape...depending on the goal can be different for different heads.

Lamens... the wrong shape can kill one end or the other, high/low flow.
You can get the lot together IF you can widen it enough right before the turn and run an even lip across the top. It's all about the shortest path, one will suck the other down with it

.and then you only have half a port working.
It's not easy, it's sometimes not hard... its science.
Can you make your layman's terms a little more lame...

Can you make your layman's terms a little more lame...
I wish I could.

The way a small block Mopar intake Port is one side is taller /higher ...if you were to run a string to the seat on the dog leg side and on the straight side ...you would find the straight side is a much longer path...and why the dog leg side always takes over unless you really lay/lower the straight hump back/down... but you can't lay it back too much and it has to come up a certain amount vertical before you do for the ***** will pull from the far side bowl...
I can explain it better, but I'm the bar right now and my beer is gonna get warm .

Answer as we go. Cant cover everything and there are varibles

Last edited:
Almost like the outboard exhaust ports look bigger. They probably all flow close to the same. Optical illusion I guess. I always liked the Poly heads. All the ports are separated.

What's the big secret? What are all the things you can learn?... What's grinding the short turn?
and most importantly when the hell am I going to get my cheeseburger and I don't eat fast food!!.. wait a minute I just had a cheeseburger tonight...

Gong home in the AM. Will be back either Sunday afternoon or Monday morning. Unless OHSU pulls another switcheroo. They have done three so far. And of course, they wait until the day before or of the surgery.

Sooooooo...if all goes as planned now, they'll be working on my mom on Tuesday and then however long it takes her to recover and/or a second surgery and that recovery is how long I'll be here.

Gong home in the AM. Will be back either Sunday afternoon or Monday morning. Unless OHSU pulls another switcheroo. They have done three so far. And of course, they wait until the day before or of the surgery.

Sooooooo...if all goes as planned now, they'll be working on my mom on Tuesday and then however long it takes her to recover and/or a second surgery and that recovery is how long I'll be here.
Says the bot..:rolleyes:..

-
Back