Small block headers: worst to best fitting. List your experience.

-
Going to be ordering some by august/september. Will post what I get. Appreciate all those that took the time to post their experiences with these type of parts.

Are small block Edelbrock Performer heads wider than stock heads? Because Doug D453s with performer heads and a Borgeson box definitely don't bolt in place without beating on them with a BFH.

I tried using the thicker motor mounts and while they help, they only cause you to have to beat clearance into the headers a little less. But these motor mounts also cause problems such as your distributor plug wires hitting the bottom of the wiper motor and the pinion angle getting out of whack.

I'm currently working on getting them working with stock mounts and home made 1/8" motor mount shims.

Are small block Edelbrock Performer heads wider than stock heads? Because Doug D453s with performer heads and a Borgeson box definitely don't bolt in place without beating on them with a BFH.

I tried using the thicker motor mounts and while they help, they only cause you to have to beat clearance into the headers a little less. But these motor mounts also cause problems such as your distributor plug wires hitting the bottom of the wiper motor and the pinion angle getting out of whack.

I'm currently working on getting them working with stock mounts and home made 1/8" motor mount shims.
I don’t think so? Are you centered properly in the engine bay?

I do know that tti’s and an early version of the borgeson also did not get along too.

I don’t think so? Are you centered properly in the engine bay?

I do know that tti’s and an early version of the borgeson also did not get along too.

If anything I'm aligned a little more toward the passenger side. I bought the Borgeson box last year so it's gotta be the newer version. This is also a magnum block, if that makes any difference.

If anything I'm aligned a little more toward the passenger side. I bought the Borgeson box last year so it's gotta be the newer version. This is also a magnum block, if that makes any difference.
I run a magnum and tti’s on a stock pwr steer box and it’s good. People say Doug’s also fit my application good to. If the motor is centered right and high enough I’d have to say it’s the borgeson?

I did have to grind down the mid truck mount bosses (both sides) on the block for the tti’s to rest flat against my head. Are yours clearing there?

Last edited:
The engine is supposed to sit over an inch to the passenger side.

IMG_20240421_125507.jpg

Last edited:
See the chart in post 58. Your whole engine should be 1.25" closer to the passenger side of the car as well. Verify all of these measurements to eliminate misplacement as a potential reason for your clearancing woes.

spitfire/laysons tri-y shorty headers, very happy. Lots of minor work to make them fit right. Great plug access, starter not trapped, heavy gauge tubes. Quite a power improvement over 65 Barracuda 273 manifolds

Has anyone installed Sanderson's DD9 Originals?
They are out of Northern California; I have seen them on a bunch of guys cars in Northern CA.

20240622_092713.jpg

20240622_092652.jpg

-
Back