Small bolt pattern Brakes.

-

Fisher

Old Guy with a Cool car.
Reaction score
Is there a retailer someplace that you can sill buy small bolt pattern brake drums for an A body 8-3/4? plus all the brake parts? If not i will convert everything over to LPB and sell my new Cragar wheels. Seems to be the best way to go. I dont want used parts, i want new store bought stuff from an auto parts store.

This is a question that is asked nearly weekly by someone. Those drums are obsolete and the only ones that I have seen lately is eBay and they seldom show up even then.

Autozone claims to have brake drums for a 1971 Plymouth Duster 340...part number 8801 made by Duralast. Never talked to them in person, but out of curiousity I googled it this morning and found them....sounds too good to be true...might be...good luck! If you don't have an autozone near you I go to mine all the time...store in Bulverde/Spring Branch TX, 78070...send them to that store and I can try them on my sbp 8 3/4 w/drums on rear 71 Duster...if they fit I can ship them to you. Mark pm me if I can help

oh ya, they're really cheap, like less than $30...would be great if they were the real thing and good quality.

Autozone claims to have brake drums for a 1971 Plymouth Duster 340...part number 8801 made by Duralast. Never talked to them in person, but out of curiousity I googled it this morning and found them....sounds too good to be true...might be...good luck! If you don't have an autozone near you I go to mine all the time...store in Bulverde/Spring Branch TX, 78070...send them to that store and I can try them on my sbp 8 3/4 w/drums on rear 71 Duster...if they fit I can ship them to you. Mark pm me if I can help

If you look at the details of that drum you will see the pattern is listed as 110mm and our cars are 5 on 4 or 101.6mm.

View attachment drum.jpg

View attachment jhgfs.jpg

They are also too wide. Our drums run a 1 3/4 wide shoe and the drum is slightly wider but not over 3/4 of an inch.

View attachment drumj.jpg

They have the 2.58 depth listed as mm but that is screwed up too because that would equal the following.

View attachment sdfgh.jpg

You can also find the real deal listed at Advance and that is great until you try to check out then you are told your order contains a quanity not available.

Same thing just happened to another member at Rock Auto.

Nice catch...in my excitement I missed that...thanks for your attention to detail. Seemed to good to be true! 5x110MM...anyone know what that size goes to?...never heard of it before...is there a chance it's a misprint? I can see if I can even order it...if one comes in I can see if it'll fit...they got the rest of my $$$...what's another $30! Suppose I can return it if it doesn't fit. I'm guessing it'll be a waste of time, but next time I'm in there I'll have them call it up and explain to me what's going on. Luckily there's a guy in there that is Mopar literate...put a 440 in his Duster which is always interesting to look at. I like the fact that Autozone at least acknowledges there is a Duster...NAPA doesn't even have a Duster in their computer...always have to use a Valient...frustrating.

Nice catch...in my excitement I missed that...thanks for your attention to detail. Seemed to good to be true! 5x110MM...anyone know what that size goes to?...never heard of it before...is there a chance it's a misprint? I can see if I can even order it...if one comes in I can see if it'll fit...they got the rest of my $$$...what's another $30! Suppose I can return it if it doesn't fit. I'm guessing it'll be a waste of time, but next time I'm in there I'll have them call it up and explain to me what's going on. Luckily there's a guy in there that is Mopar literate...put a 440 in his Duster which is always interesting to look at. I like the fact that Autozone at least acknowledges there is a Duster...NAPA doesn't even have a Duster in their computer...always have to use a Valient...frustrating.

Even if that number is wrong the depth is way off so it still wouldn't fit.

Stinks they list something as compatible that won't work...Thanks for all the info...I'm going to let the store manager know...maybe someone can convince whoever is making these drums to make some that'll fit our our 5x4 sbp...

Just convert to LBP and be done with it. Much much better brake and wheel selection.

I will take those cragers off your hands for free but I will pay the shipping if that helps you out. Also you may try napa, I know a local old parts store that may have them he carries invertory for 60 year old cars, they are in lewistown pa 717-248-5483 Stoychefs parts I bet 10 dollar they have them.

Never hurts to ask. Try that phone number tomorrow I still bet they have the drums you need.

the 10x1.75 rear drums are hard to find period. i have a used "bell" set that can be cut and used but are thin, still i hoard them incase i ever need a set because they are that hard to find.

in general though its better to convert to large pattern, but that could set you back about 650ish if you do all the work yourself ($350/axles, $100 new drums, $100 for backing plates, $100 for new shoes, hardware and wheel cylinders) i am guesstimating the parts prices but you get the point. and this is just for the rear.

This was a recent thread. I found a pair at Advanced Autoparts locally for $90 each part # BD60123 on a plain white box( I think that is a Bendix number) They may have (1) single drum left,as they had 3 when I bought mine. (In Waco,Tx)

Rock Auto has them, or at least they did a year or so ago. I bought a set for my duster ( small bolt pattern 8 3/4 ) and I was very pleased with them.

Screw it!! Thanks you for all the replies. Will be calling Dr Diff for brakes and axles tomorrow! I got a new disc brake kit and complete k member fr my buddy tonight for $400

Explain the trouble in the future ? Do you recommend a 2 inch show that fits ?

So you can keep your wheels look into SSBC and Wilwood for conversion kits to disk brakes. Also check into the scarebird kits.

-
Back