Smoked 360 I bought

-

crackedback

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a smoked 360 that was just rebuilt. Took it apart and the #2 and #5 main were down to copper, some of the rod bearings were showing copper. This was on an engine that had about 1 Hour of run time and showed solid oil pressure the entire time. All bearings installed correctly.

The seller thought it pumped the pan dry by using a HV oil pump. Nope!

Well we found the problem upon inspection. There were two issues actually.

1) The cam thrust plate had the scallop cut in it and the galley plugs were not installed.

2) When looking up from the bottom with rear main cap removed, you see daylight where the oil pressure sending unit screws in. The plug to block the opening where the oil heading to filter and returning from the filter was left out. Makes a nice little loop.

The engine showed good oil pressure the entire time it ran until the knocks appeared.

So remember to install those plugs!

I bought a smoked 360 that was just rebuilt. Took it apart and the #2 and #5 main were down to copper, some of the rod bearings were showing copper. This was on an engine that had about 1 Hour of run time and showed solid oil pressure the entire time. All bearings installed correctly.

The seller thought it pumped the pan dry by using a HV oil pump. Nope!

Well we found the problem upon inspection. There were two issues actually.

1) The cam thrust plate had the scallop cut in it and the galley plugs were not installed.

2) When looking up from the bottom with rear main cap removed, you see daylight where the oil pressure sending unit screws in. The plug to block the opening where the oil heading to filter and returning from the filter was left out. Makes a nice little loop.

The engine showed good oil pressure the entire time it ran until the knocks appeared.

So remember to install those plugs!

Yes sir, that is correct Rob. I watched my machine guy install them personally. Heard too many horror stories. Has 2000 miles on it, no problems, runs great. Hot little 318. Well, except one issue. I will post on a new thread.

Opps here is the pic

1226071226[1].jpg

The plug he was referring to was the diverter plug that goes inside one of the oil passages as show in the pic by the red circle. The rest of the plugs on the pic are just end plugs. I was doing some oil mods on that block. The lines showed where I drilled the oil passages out to 1/2inch with a long drill bit.

One 416 I did a couple years ago had two plugs in it. One on top of the other... And debris and crud on both sides of them...lol Stupidity is fairly common, but that was the first time I'd seen one guy overlook it for cleaning, then use the one in the kit anyway..lol.

This has got to go in the tech archive.

Thanks.

It's been awhile since I looked at the oil system path of the LA Mopar but if I remember right leaving that plug out lets the oil go past the filter and shouldn't have caused a spun bearing, right? If there was debri the motor this wouldn't be good because the debri wouldn't have gotten filtered out and would have passed right thru the motor.

Chuck

It's been awhile since I looked at the oil system path of the LA Mopar but if I remember right leaving that plug out lets the oil go past the filter and shouldn't have caused a spun bearing, right? If there was debri the motor this wouldn't be good because the debri wouldn't have gotten filtered out and would have passed right thru the motor.

Chuck

Yes the diverter plug would only not let the oil filter do its job but the scallops on the cam thrust plate and no gallery plugs especially on the driver side gallery would really tax the number one main journal since that's where the driver side oil passage gets all of it's oil. Just my two cents.

Sorry but I am a little confused here.
There is one allen plug in the picture.
Should the other two holes have allen plugs in them as well?

Yes both of those plugs should be in but they are out in the pic because I was drilling some passages out. If those two plugs were not in before you fired up the motor you would have zero oil pressure and one heck of a mess on your hands when you fire it up.

-
Back