Sneaking in without a roll cage

-
While it is unlikely that anything catastrophic will happen, the possibility always exits that it could, caused by something completely out of the drivers control. You could break an axle, sheer the wheel lugs, blow a tire, all of which can put you in the wall. The driver next to you can come in to your lane and take you out. God forbid if any of that happens you’ll wish you had the required saftey equipment. Why risk it? Go see a good cage fabricator, there are guys that can put a cage in your car that fits nice and tight and is very sleeperish. No it won’t be hidden but at least you’ll be able to use your car how you want, and do it safely.

I think I'd try and find out what it will really run, before I commit to a cage. ( and I have two cars with cages, altered firewall, and one with an eight point bar).
Imo, a good stout 330 ft pass can answer a lot of questions.

I'd take it to a test & tune, make some easy hits to get familiar with the staging process, where the stripe is and how the car is going to react. Once I had a good feeling for it, I'd make a full hard pass. If it's too fast and you get tossed ask the tech guy to look at the car and tell you what you need to race if you choose to go down that path.

It'll blow the street tires off.

That's possible, tho he has E.T. streets, hardly "street" tires.
I would sure try to get some 275s under it, the typical "small tire" 10.5 style drag radial.
And imo, et streets kinda kill the sleeper vibe.

My gts has 235-60-14 DOT bias plys on it in the pics I posted. Hooking an automatic at that power/weight will take some good shocks/suspension tuning but it should not be a major hurdle. If I can hook at no prep with a 4 speed on nitrous the OP should be able to make it happen on a prepped surface.

That's possible, tho he has E.T. streets, hardly "street" tires.
I would sure try to get some 275s under it, the typical "small tire" 10.5 style drag radial.
And imo, et streets kinda kill the sleeper vibe.

275/60/15 is usually the true street or DOT hotrod class. A 275 is the equivalent of a 28x11.50 (section width) bias and you might get 9" of tread to plant with a 10" rim.

A 10.5 is a 10.5" tread like my black Charger wears, a 29.5x10.5 (tread width) stiff wall. They have a W version that is a tad over 11" hence the phrase True 10.5, TTF, etc.

Small tire class historically had a max tire size of 29.5x10.5-15 and after covid it seemed to change to a 28x10.5-15. I have witnessed several cars be admitted to small tire class with the 29.5 and nobody complained due to low car counts. We all just want to race : D

In conclusion, a 275-60-15 is not a TTF : D

20240405_074634.jpg

Should be about 3400 or so weight wise, it’s got a 2800 stall converter , Dana 60- 3:55 gears with true trac, Cal Tracs bars,subframe ties, 235 60r15 et streets. I’m working on rolling the fenders first for some more meat.
I don’t see a 235 tire holding 600hp so you’re going to have to feather down the track anyway probably not busting a 11.50

I don’t see a 235 tire holding 600hp so you’re going to have to feather down the track anyway probably not busting a 11.50

235 Drag Radials have come a long way. If the chassis and power management is dialed-in, you can make some steam.

Last edited:
When you go faster than the track wants you to without a bar……..they’ll let you know.

Had a convertible 69 340 Dart. Kind of quick. took it to Track in Fontana, A NHRA track for a test and tune event. No way a run with out a roll bar, told me it was to fast. How do you know? It sounds and looks to fast....End of story...

Just remember we are all adults here and as adults we shouldn’t have to be babysat about safety stuff in our race cars. Be responsible and don’t make others pay for YOUR actions because it does affect us all with higher insurance rates.

-
Back