So it begins:

-

Prine

A-Body Fanatic
Reaction score
I purchased this 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger this weekend. I am pretty happy with it. I am the third registered owner. It is showing 112,*** miles. The quarters have a small patch of rust, but nothing a playing card can't cover. Never wrecked, grille is in good condition.

Triple Green. 318/904/8.75

Check it out, comment as compelled, should be a interesting a restoration/build.
DSC06418.jpg

DSC06419.jpg

DSC06420.jpg

DSC06421.jpg

DSC06422.jpg

DSC06424.jpg

DSC06425.jpg

DSC06426.jpg

DSC06427.jpg

DSC06429.jpg

DSC06430.jpg

DSC06431.jpg

DSC06432.jpg

DSC06433.jpg

DSC06434.jpg

DSC06435.jpg

DSC06436.jpg

DSC06437.jpg

DSC06438.jpg

DSC06439.jpg

DSC06440.jpg

DSC06442.jpg

DSC06443.jpg

DSC06460.jpg

DSC06462.jpg

DSC06461.jpg

Enjoy!

Prine, That looks alot like the 70 swinger I picked up last weekend. LOL Same color, almost the same cracked windshield..........we will have to share our progress. I still haven't picked mine up yet. probably next weekend. Looks like it should be alot of fun to fix up though. Good luck!!

Well....I am excited.

I got it home yesterday, but have been unable to touch it since...I am so busy with a construction job right now.

Stay Tuned.

You've found a nice solid piece to start. Build it, drive it, enjoy it. You can restore it or hot rod it whatever your choice. Nice find. Good luck and keep us posted with your progress! toolmanmike

Looks like a solid car to start with!

Welcome to the restoration... you'll either love piecing it back together or grow tired part way thru.... post pictures all the way thru to keep us updated!

Good luck, have fun, take your time and enjoy it.

Nice to see no cowl rust around the MC!

Have fun while bringing-it-back to the highway.

Nice to see another one saved in New Mexico. Congrats!

63dartman - congrats on the new purchase! Nice to have another in Rio Rancho too!

Prine - hope I did it right for you and that you've not already done it, but decoded the tag for you. Info below. Congrats again!

Year: 1970
Model: Dart or Dart Swinger
Price class: low
Engine: 318 2bbl
Assembly plant: Windsor, Ontario Canada
Sequence no: 296007 (got to love having an 007 car!)

M26 Wheel lip mouldings
M31 Body belt mouldings
R11 AM radio Music Master 2 watt
v5x undocumented (may have input wrong when I did it)
Y05 Build to USA spec
v1f undocumented (may have input wrong when I did it)
F11 50 amp alternator
G33 LH remote control chrome mirror
H51 Air conditioning with front heater
M21 Drip rail mouldings
next lot of codes did not come up
E44 318 2 bbl 230hp
D31 Auto trans 904

Hope that is of interest.
Cheers

v1f undocumented .......full vinyl roof green
v5x undocumented ......vinyl protective mouldings black (side body mouldings)

Lucky find. It's getting harder to find complete cars. Usually someone has chiseled a hole in the dash for an aftermarket stereo. (I had to replace the dash in my Swinger). Keep us posted. Howard

Looks like it needs EVERYTHING, but it IS a nice solid looking car. Parts are not impossible to find for that body style, and most of the soft parts are available through the aftermarket. What's the initial game plan, or has it changed 3 times since you started reading this post? I know when I dragged my car home (10 yrs. ago this Nov.) ideas ranged from a big-block swap to pro street to 100% stock resto. I happen to be somewhere in between all that today.... 8)

And it has A/C? NICE! But then, I can't imagine many cars being sold without air down there....

Just remember: pictures. Treat us like we're illiterate: PICTURES.

BTW: What's the story with the white `65 Dart that was parked next to it ?

Just before I bought the Barracuda I bought a white `65 Dart 2 dr. post. 6 cylinder, auto, power steering, AM radio & heater. 54K miles. Sold it for $1,000 in 2001. That picture was a reminder of what an $#@hole I was for selling it. I have to figure out how to scan pictures and do it once I find them.... Nice car.

Thanks guys, and I know it needs ALOT of work to be "restified". The main thing on my mind for my A-body build was completeness. I wanted something that was as close to undisturbed as possible.

This car to me is so insanely virgin that I love it. It has a few small dents and a few door dings and the paint is crap, I know. The rust (cancerous) is isolated to the bottoms of the rear quarter panel visibly only on the outside. The trunk is nearly flawless....it still has the original jack, base and lug wrench, spare cover mat, and the spare looks like it was never on the ground.

My goal is to build it to be a Daily Driver/Cruiser. When I say that I mean the body work back to original color and trim, (except the door ding trim along the center)....a black vinyl top and the interior gone through back to Green.

When I got the car it had been sitting for nearly 20 years in the same spot beside a trailer house in Portales, NM.

Today I installed a battery, cleaned up the cables, checked the oil level and put some water in the radiator....got a Root Beer 2 liter bottle and filled it 3/4 full of fresh 90 octane. Then I hooked up a 36" 5/16 rubber line to the fuel pump and the root beer bottle.

After a dabble of fuel in the carb, and a few stabs of the throttle she rumbled to life....no smoking, knocking, or leaking so everything appears to be positive.

DSC06545.jpg

DSC06546.jpg

DSC06547.jpg

DSC06548.jpg

DSC06549.jpg

DSC06550.jpg

DSC06551.jpg

DSC06552.jpg

DSC06553.jpg

DSC06554.jpg

DSC06555.jpg

DSC06556.jpg

Thought I would go all out and open the hood for some underhood shots...and got jacked:
DSC06567-1.jpg

DSC06568.jpg

DSC06569.jpg

DSC06564-1.jpg

Here is a short 1 minute clip of start-up and idling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F32fFWMT7b8

Nice to see another one saved in New Mexico. Congrats!

63dartman - congrats on the new purchase! Nice to have another in Rio Rancho too!

Prine - hope I did it right for you and that you've not already done it, but decoded the tag for you. Info below. Congrats again!

Year: 1970
Model: Dart or Dart Swinger
Price class: low
Engine: 318 2bbl
Assembly plant: Windsor, Ontario Canada
Sequence no: 296007 (got to love having an 007 car!)

M26 Wheel lip mouldings
M31 Body belt mouldings
R11 AM radio Music Master 2 watt
v5x undocumented (may have input wrong when I did it)
Y05 Build to USA spec
v1f undocumented (may have input wrong when I did it)
F11 50 amp alternator
G33 LH remote control chrome mirror
H51 Air conditioning with front heater
M21 Drip rail mouldings
next lot of codes did not come up
E44 318 2 bbl 230hp
D31 Auto trans 904

Hope that is of interest.
Cheers

Thanks, I also decoded the tag online. The car must have had a repaint at some time...the tag says F4 Green with F8 vinyl top...obviously the exterior is F8 also...:dontknow:

Thanks and stay tuned.

BTW: What's the story with the white `65 Dart that was parked next to it ?

Just before I bought the Barracuda I bought a white `65 Dart 2 dr. post. 6 cylinder, auto, power steering, AM radio & heater. 54K miles. Sold it for $1,000 in 2001. That picture was a reminder of what an $#@hole I was for selling it. I have to figure out how to scan pictures and do it once I find them.... Nice car.

The 65' that is sitting next to the 70 Swinger is a friend of mines. It was a 4-door parts car for this 2-door post 65' Dart:

DSC06396.jpg

It is for sale and I can get you in contact with him.

Hey Prine,
Good looking car, wash , wax , tires , brakes , lines ,
oil change , shocks ,battery , exhaust ,paint job ,wash the windows,
second job-----
She'll look like a hundred bucks!

Just kidding! No really!
Nice car.

Here's a pic of my unfinished 70 home wrecking/arguement starter! :love7:
Hope your project moves along quicker than mine!

reunion 259 a.jpg

thanks long arm.

I have a ample income not to need a second job...BTW did you see my $600/mo Hemi QC Ram 1500?

DSC05980.jpg

The Dart will move on its own power now, so
The fun is about to begin.

Prine,
Whats your plan for your rebuild?
You gonna take it all the way or just a driver?
I had to throw the spurs to ya, mine started out as a "I'll just clean her
up and drive her" project in 97.
She's been keeping my garage floor oiled for me every since.
Too much month at the end of the money thing.
Hope your project moves along a little faster than mine!
You got a nice looking car to start with.
Keep the pictures coming!

0101000102030103102008010418d08f4a7c60248d25009b08.jpg

-
Back