So proud of this car, driver not so much

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
For reasons I won’t get into today was my first pass of the weekend. Hot, humid, and miserable is all I can say. Ran a 6.02 on my one and only time trial and I gambled that the 60 foot was going to slow some which it did, but not enough. I gave it one quick whomp and should’ve given it 1.5. Not even buying back as this program is going to be super fast paced and I’m ready to roll on home. For this 5400.00 engine (minus carb) to run 6.02 in the weather is better than I ever expected when I put it together.

IMG_3498.jpeg

IMG_3499.jpeg

LOL you are doin a LOT better than some of the rest of us

LOL you are doin a LOT better than some of the rest of us

This has been the craziest race season weather wise that I’ve ever seen. If it doesn’t rain out it’s 90 plus degrees with off the wall humidity. Not fun at all. Thinking I’m going to sit out next Saturday’s funny car race and get ready for my four day big money Ace race the following weekend at Dragway 42.

For reasons I won’t get into today was my first pass of the weekend. Hot, humid, and miserable is all I can say. Ran a 6.02 on my one and only time trial and I gambled that the 60 foot was going to slow some which it did, but not enough. I gave it one quick whomp and should’ve given it 1.5. Not even buying back as this program is going to be super fast paced and I’m ready to roll on home. For this 5400.00 engine (minus carb) to run 6.02 in the weather is better than I ever expected when I put it together.

View attachment 1716273039

View attachment 1716273040
Nice and congrats on that front John! I'm in a similar boat in-that I'm nnot happy with my driving yet but the car is doing better than expected. Good work getting out non-the-less.

View attachment 1716273039

View attachment 1716273040

Car always ran good. Good job. In this heat, just getting the car and going down the track is a win lol.

according to that chart, i should be running 9.52 in the 1/4 as my 1/8 mile is 6.10. my car is a bit off as it runs 9.70 in the 1/4

Lots of reasons your car could be slowing up. Lack of head and intake flow, small carb, fuel issues, ect. My Indy headed engine that ran a best of 5.98 exactly what this engines best was and ran was out of snuff at 1000 foot. And it still ran 9.38@138mph. It’s problem was a solid lifter cam and an 850 carb. Now I have the same .660 lift but a roller cam and a bigger 1000 cfm carb. With my 4:88 gears the old combo was out of guts.

Lots of reasons your car could be slowing up. Lack of head and intake flow, small carb, fuel issues, ect. My Indy headed engine that ran a best of 5.98 exactly what this engines best was and ran was out of snuff at 1000 foot. And it still ran 9.38@138mph. It’s problem was a solid lifter cam and an 850 carb. Now I have the same .660 lift but a roller cam and a bigger 1000 cfm carb. With my 4:88 gears the old combo was out of guts.
cam is on the small side, .600 lift SFT.
MPH is not bad at 137

according to that chart, i should be running 9.52 in the 1/4 as my 1/8 mile is 6.10. my car is a bit off as it runs 9.70 in the 1/4

I think the 1.57 conversion is more accurate. I see it used more often.
Using the 1.56 calculation it says mine should run 10.20 I know it’s nowhere close to doing that.
At 1.57 it shows 10.29-10.30, that is possible. Haven’t had it in good air yet to run the 1/4, but will before the year is out.

Good job John! It was Africa hot at New England Dragway this past weekend. Saturday racing was cancelled as it was rainy in the morning but by 11:00am the skies started clearing and it got hot and humid. Sunday was the same and the Arrow was about a tenth off in the heat and humidity. Ran a 9.26 @ 146 and a pair of 9.24s after I made a jet change to the carb. It was miserable being strapped in the car in staging with 3 layer jacket and pants plus the helmet. By the time I staged up for first round of eliminations I was so uncomfortable I couldn't concentrate on the tree and had a horrible light. Race over! Got me seriously considering investing in some sort of cool shirt set up.

I think the 1.57 conversion is more accurate. I see it used more often.
Using the 1.56 calculation it says mine should run 10.20 I know it’s nowhere close to doing that.
At 1.57 it shows 10.29-10.30, that is possible. Haven’t had it in good air yet to run the 1/4, but will before the year is out.

Once again don’t blame the charts, blame your combo. You have said it yourself 100 times on here that you could use a bigger cam. You have a good set of heads, a decent intake, etc. but if you shortchange things it’s not going to run as well as the tables say it can. In my eyes I’m leaving ET on the table with a baby.660 lift roller cam. Hopefully that will be addressed when I put on my better set of heads. And possibly a super Victor next time since I’ve found a few secrets in them.

Good job John! It was Africa hot at New England Dragway this past weekend. Saturday racing was cancelled as it was rainy in the morning but by 11:00am the skies started clearing and it got hot and humid. Sunday was the same and the Arrow was about a tenth off in the heat and humidity. Ran a 9.26 @ 146 and a pair of 9.24s after I made a jet change to the carb. It was miserable being strapped in the car in staging with 3 layer jacket and pants plus the helmet. By the time I staged up for first round of eliminations I was so uncomfortable I couldn't concentrate on the tree and had a horrible light. Race over! Got me seriously considering investing in some sort of cool shirt set up.

Our weatherman lied to us and missed it badly this past weekend. Humidity was supposed to kick back some starting Saturday morning but it didn’t happen. Sunday was a tic better but not by much. We lost a lot of racers for Sunday program that said they had enough and it was the third of 3 points days. Honestly if I hadn’t paid for the weekend on Friday I would have left. We have a nice funny car show and fireworks on Saturday and they are predicting 87 degrees. I’ll probably sit it out and get ready to leave Thursday for the Ace Race.

Once again don’t blame the charts, blame your combo. You have said it yourself 100 times on here that you could use a bigger cam. You have a good set of heads, a decent intake, etc. but if you shortchange things it’s not going to run as well as the tables say it can. In my eyes I’m leaving ET on the table with a baby.660 lift roller cam. Hopefully that will be addressed when I put on my better set of heads. And possibly a super Victor next time since I’ve found a few secrets in them.

No I get it, you’re right.
My point is most every combo I know of runs much closer to the 1.57 factor than it does the 1.56 factor.
Just saying 1.57 is used way more often, no matter what the combo is. And to me is more accurate. Just my opinion.

For instance, Sean Johnson’s car went 5.48 to the 1/8. At 1.57 it’s says 8.60. He ran 8.597.

Last edited:
My point is most every combo I know of runs much closer to the 1.57 factor than it does the 1.56 factor.
Just saying 1.57 is used way more often, no matter what the combo is. And to me is more accurate. Just my opinion.

For instance, Sean Johnson’s car went 5.48 to the 1/8. At 1.57 it’s says 8.60. He ran 8.597.

What did his MPH say it should have ran.

So, I can speak to this in a couple ways. A lot of factors play into where a car falls onto that 'estimator'. For 1/4mi convertor coupling plays a good part. And who's saying anyone's example is optimized? And at the moment, mine isn't optimized. You can look at SS and stock elims That said, I use these all the time. I like to use them to gage potential so, I like the ones that are optimistic and then target eclipsing them. (That way you know you're doing something)

Whether you think you're "good" or not, the car caint do chit without a driver.

-
Back