So what does a Frat zog stand for?

-
Damn i,m glad I wear a pentastar,

Attachments

• i phone 110 (Medium).jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 294
I found this symbol/emblem on a car in a NZ car meuseum.
I haven't a clue what the car is.

Attachments

• IMGP8625.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 314
  • IMGP8626.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 281
That has got to be a Dodge cjh, the ram has been used for many many years.

That has got to be a Dodge cjh, the ram has been used for many many years.

I gathered it was a Dodge....haven't a clue what year or model....to me, they all looked the same back then, just different grille treatments...LOL.
Except for one these....the Aero.....knew what it was as soon as I saw it.

Attachments

• IMGP8622.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 228
It was actually the Chrysler employees teenage sons who coined the term "fratzog", when Dad asked them what his symbol should be called.

It was actually the Chrysler employees teenage sons who coined the term "fratzog", when Dad asked them what his symbol should be called.
First time I've read or heard that story. I like the fratzog logo and think Dodge should have kept it. Looks better than the silly // that is the new logo.

Another little known fact is in the early days both Fords and Mopars did not build their own bodies. Their bodies were built by Briggs manufacturing in Detroit. GM was built by Fisher.
No, no, no. The Dodge Bros. all-steel body was designed by Budd Mfg. Co. but manufactured in the main DB Hamtramck plant.

Yes, the Dodge brothers were Jewish. Kind of ironic since they started out making engines for Henry Ford.
No, no, no. It would be an upside-down Star of David, which would be terribly sacrilegious. It is really two interlocked Greek letter deltas, for Dodge, which was supposed to symbolize how close brothers were.

That's actually not true. As mentioned my Grandfather did this emblem, and my Dad (the oldest) was only 6 years old when the work was done. So the teenager coming up with the name is folk-lore.

That's actually not true. As mentioned my Grandfather did this emblem, and my Dad (the oldest) was only 6 years old when the work was done. So the teenager coming up with the name is folk-lore.
Could be. Just what I read. I'm proud to wear the name Fratzog! Any part of the story involve a napkin?

No, no, no. The Dodge Bros. all-steel body was designed by Budd Mfg. Co. but manufactured in the main DB Hamtramck plant.
Thats really odd because my 41 Dodge coupe, 41 Chrysler coupe and 51 Plymouth coupe all have the tag under the hood that says Body By Briggs. Possibly the cars from the 30`s were by Budd.

the symbol on our dodges is called a "Frat zog" well does anyone know what that means? if we are going to drive around with it on our cars....we should know what it means.

i was looking at the "Frat zog" on the vinyl top trim of my 69 dart thinking about that today..hmmm

my initial reactive thought is a Fraternity symbol of some sort.....were the Dodge brothers in a Fraternity or perhaps the designer of the emblem that we are all familiar with, that appeared in the early 60s

i kinda nullify this theory right away bcoz i know from Soroity experience that most competent Fraternities find offense in calling their organiziations as simply a "Frat"

Also the earlier dodge brothers symbol almost looks like a star of David....were they Jewish??

if anyone has any history or reasoning behind this all too familiar symbols
The Dodge brothers were not Jewish, that early symbol had other meanings...

Why the Original Dodge Logo Was a Jewish Star - Jewish Telegraphic Agency
Yes, they were not Jewish. Interesting the early logo could have been just to piss off Henry Ford. LoL

Thats really odd because my 41 Dodge coupe, 41 Chrysler coupe and 51 Plymouth coupe all have the tag under the hood that says Body By Briggs. Possibly the cars from the 30`s were by Budd.
chryslerfat, please note that I said "Dodge Brothers" all-steel body, not Dodge. Until 1938 it was Dodge Brothers, and Dodge started in 1939. Here's a picture of my '22 touring car with the early all-steel body.

In its advertisements Dodge Bros. made a big deal about their all-steel body because its competitors were making sheet metal-covered wood bodies, which were notorious for rotting out.

DB new wheels.jpg

DB 9-19-2016-2.jpg

Last edited:
It's not "frat-zog" as some are spelling it. Just "fratzog" which means nothing, and it's just a meaningless emblem. Next thing you'll try to analyze is the pentastar emblem, or how about this thing with the wings:
GettyImages-86302882.png

-
Back