So, who has taught you about cars?

-

mopardart72

I'm a pretty big deal
Reaction score
Ive been wondering how did you guy's learn about cars and how engines worked? for me i don't know much at all but what little i do know came from my dad. I need to figure out more

so tell me who taught you everything you know

My Dad and lots of watching and turning wrenches and reading asking questions and now Encylopedia FABO mostly now.

i know almsot every major part of an internal combustion engine i just don't know how to install them

to my knowledge the major parts are as followed if i miss some tell me

water pump
fuel pump
engine block
heads
rockers
valvesprings
camshaft
pistons
rods
rod bearings
crankshaft
timing belt/chain
belts
radiator
oilpan
oil and fuel filter
carb/throttle body
intake
headers/exhaust manifold
distributor
sparkplugs

Dad, Grandpa, Books, Forums, Magazines, job.....tons of reading. Did I mention getting my hand dirty and learning some things the hard way by trial and error.

Dad, Grandpa, Books, Forums, Magazines, job.....tons of reading. Did I mention getting my hand dirty and learning some things the hard way by trial and error.

car parts are too expensive now adays to learn trial and error, a rebuild kit is 44 bucks for my carb, i dont feel like paying that twice because i accidentally messed up

My Dad was a pretty quiet gearhead... only really worked on things that needed it. He is big into construction, which I credit him for my instincts in that field.

My best friend had 3 older brothers in high school and a Dad who is a Pontiac fanatic... so I learned a lot by hanging out with that family.

One of my best learning experiences was a job in high school sweeping floors at an auto shop. I started with a broom and left the garage changing water pumps and intakes.

My Dad was a pretty quiet gearhead... only really worked on things that needed it. He is big into construction, which I credit him for my instincts in that field.

My best friend had 3 older brothers in high school and a Dad who is a Pontiac fanatic... so I learned a lot by hanging out with that family.

One of my best learning experiences was a job in high school sweeping floors at an auto shop. I started with a broom and left the garage changing water pumps and intakes.

carburated intakes are easier to take off than FI ones, i dont feel comfertable working on new cars,

the main thing im scared about doing is installing new pistons because im scared ill screw up TDC and ruin the engine i just spent 3-4k on

I learned on my own. I always loved cars and wanted to work on them since I was a kid. When I got to high school I took auto shop. We had no tools in my families home other than a couple screwdrivers, pliers and a hammer so my dad was no help at all.

When I got my first car, a '72 Dodge Dart I bought a set of Craftsmen tools. First thing I did was to swap out the intake and carb on the Dart's 318. Soon after I added headers and it snowballed from there.

When I was 18 I went to Denver Automotive and took their automotive technician course, after school I got a job at a tranny shop. I worked as a mechanic for about 6 years, until I moved to AZ. Once here I decided to change careers. Still love working on cars, just not for other people.

I just wanted to add this:

I nearly forgot what REALLY got me interested in doing ALL my automotive work myself. I brought my Dart to a local shop for some carb work. I drove the car home from the shop, opened the hood and the entire engine compartment was DRENCHED in fuel. They had forgotten to tighten a hose clamp on the fuel line. Left it completely loose and fuel was spraying everywhere. I was SO lucky that my ignition system was in good shape and didn't arc over somewhere and burn the car down. After that, there were no more shops for me... I did everything myself.

i want to take auto tech but i have a better ambition of culinary arts ad not enough funds to do both so i'm trying to figure out how to learn

I learned everything I know from mostly reading forums like this one. My dad taught me a few things, but for the most part I have read up on everything. Some of it is from trial and error also. I just love to work on my car for the fun of it. It gives me something to do that I love and keeps me out of trouble.

Nobody in my family knew anything about cars when I was growing up. This was pre-internet. I mostly learned through Hod Rod, Mopar Muscle and several other publications. Also, took high school auto and then eventually went to the local community college through a two year automotive program. I'm still not very handy with a wrench. I break a lot of stuff, and have a hard time putting things back together sometimes ](*,)

Now, I look to these forums for help.

I grew up with a father that built race cars and motorcycles. He raced on both coasts and won championships in midget racing as well as his bikes winning championships on road courses and hill climbing. Twice in his life he had the opportunity to race at Indy.

I spend many hours in the garage with him and was away almost every weekend at some racetrack.

Honestly, between 2 years of researching here on FABO, and asking questions of the friends I have made here is where I have learned most of what I know!
Currently, I am in the middle of a /6 to 360 engine swap. A year ago I never would have had the confidence to take on such a project! I want to learn all that I can in hopes that when my own son(or daughter) needs help with a car or has a question, I can be a resource for them...something I never had growing up with a deadbeat dad.

Thanks FABO:salut:

My father really wasn't into cars other than to own one. However, one of his sisters owned a Gulf gas station, with a 3 bay garage, and and she worked in it. Along with her husband, her son and later her grand son, they ran the station and did all the mechanic work, too.
She also drove a 1940 Ford coupe in the Powder Puff (woman race car drivers) racing series back in the 50's, and wrenched the car with my uncle and cousin.

As a pre-teen (about 9 years old) and later as a teen I was allowed to work at the station during summers, and as a teen, on weekends and some evenings during the school year.

I learned most of what I know there. I pumped gas (self service gas stations are illegal in NJ). I helped with tune ups, oil changes brake jobs, radiator flushes, electrical issue, and parts changes, tire mounting, etc. slowly the allowed me to do jobs on my own (of course they'd be there to answer questions and check my work when I was done.

All in all it was an excellent learning experience. I learned how to repair stuff, not just change parts. Brazed radiators and heater cores, rebuilt carbs and starters and voltage regulators and distributors. learned to read spark plugs, and set the dwell angle on points, and best of all I learned trouble shooting.

On a part time basis I worked there for about 10 years. I doubt that all my college education taught me as much as that part time job at a family owned Gulf gas station in Newark New Jersey in the late 50's to late 60's taught me.
Many thanks to my Aunt Annie and my Uncle Pat.

Thanks for bringing back some really wonderful memories. :thumbup:

Dad did oil changes, belts and plugs. Thats about it around me. He was in a car club back in 50's high school but didnt really get into major repairs. Best thing he did for me was to let me watch and hand him the wrenches. I think I was born with a curious mond when it came to mechanics. He would bring home things mechanical (along with my neighbor who was a trash man) so I could play with them, play to me would be to take them apart and see how they worked. Got in trouble a few times taking apart small appliances out of the kitchen. The best 10 year old birthday present I got was a set of screwdrivers! That aptitude and my first 3 POS cars forced me to learn to fix cars or I was going to be riding my bike 3 miles to school as a junior/senior! Thanks Dad.

really no one in my family worked on cars or had any "cool" cars when they were growing up but i always loved cars and bikes when i turned 13 i was helping a guy work on cars out of his garage then at 14 i worked in a motorcycle shop when i turned 17 i was workin full time in a mechanic/body shop learning everything i can now im in the process of building a 71 demon (race car) and a 89 fox body (street car)

My late uncle Robert, and like spaz, Growing up with farm equipment and some good farmers taking me under there wing back in the day
FABO members has played a giant part for the days my memories or confidence has failed me.
I thank god for having my uncle Robert in my life and stood in for my father.

not sure where i picked up instinct since i was a bastard child lol... in high school buying old trucks and cars that always needed fixing. went to school for auto repair, but learned more actually working in the trade. shop manuals can run your in circles so the key is figuring out how to bypass the bs... especially on new cars. most cars have specific problems that are common for the vehicle so you get used to that part...and having access to mitchell on demand and identifix and alldata is a good place too...

also id like to credit some of the guys i worked with. without them to help simplify things i think i would still be staring in a shop manual.

also for older stuff i credit this site for knowledge and the people containing that knowledge or offering links to help get the knowledge.

i love this site. :)

No one in my family was mechanical, but going to a high school that had an awesome auto shop in it got me interested in them. Unfortunately, I was not into them during that period (too much partying). Once on my own, I was too poor to pay someone to fix the crap I was driving, so a little at a time I bought the tools and learned. Doing every job twice really helped lol..

Grant

Like a couple of others...fixing farm equipment. If you didn't know how to fix it, you tore it apart and figured it out. Yes, I screwed up a few things, but the best way to learn is to try.

Some from Dad, friends, most from trade H.S. the rest is OJT and books, hands on.

Auto shop teacher in High school guided me as I built a 350 for my 78 camaro. Taught me just about everything I needed to know about engines. For the stuff I dont know a little research on the web fixes everything haha.

My moms ex boyfriend was the one to get me in to Mopars. He was teching me all he knew about cars and planes. He was also a mech for lockheed. He was killed in a bike accident before we realy got started.

My Dad is the other one who has taught me a lot over the years.

That and just getting out there and doing it.

-
Back