Someone needs to start re-casting 340 blocks

-
There are pros and cons to a 340 block.

PRO:
For me I like the smaller mains over the 360 because there are a lot more crankshaft options for the 340 main.

CON:
King XP 340 main bearings are now only available in a coated version, which cost double the non coated.

Tom

I like 340's. I could not resist the chance to mess around. $1,200 is not enough for me to sell one my 340 blocks. Maybe I'll get one put together some day.

It is an asking price, it's not sold for that. PLENTY of 340's for sale. So what. As said Gen3 Hemi has taken a big bite out of LA engines demand.

What is the first thing Bob Gliden did when he built the Plymouth Arrow. He cut the lifter bores out and straightened them up.

And the restoration crowd doesn't want an aftermarket block, there are always visible differences. Just like the real 426 hemis.

For me I like the smaller mains over the 360 because there are a lot more crankshaft options for the 340 main.
IIRC small block Ford Cleveland had smaller mains and was seen as the performance alternative to the Windsor larger mains. something about friction????

I had shop call me they were looking for a 340 block, told them i have standard bore block and main for $900 they did even think twice and said i will take it.

IIRC small block Ford Cleveland had smaller mains and was seen as the performance alternative to the Windsor larger mains. something about friction????
I have heard that with smaller bearing diameters. If it doesn't make 20-30 horse is it really worth it?

It is an asking price, it's not sold for that. PLENTY of 340's for sale. So what. As said Gen3 Hemi has taken a big bite out of LA engines demand.

What is the first thing Bob Gliden did when he built the Plymouth Arrow. He cut the lifter bores out and straightened them up.

Not into gen 3 Hemi's, except in our new cars. Just not into that many special parts. My cars are plenty fast for me, imperfect as they are and evidently last forever.

Not into gen 3 Hemi's, except in our new cars. Just not into that many special parts. My cars are plenty fast for me, imperfect as they are and evidently last forever.
I enjoy my 2. One is a 273 and the other is a 318. I don't need to burn tires a city block to enjoy the car hobby.

Gen 3 Hemi definitely will eventually take over as the main go to engine for Mopars over the next couple of decades if the government doesn't outlaw the hobby in the meantime.

340s are surrounded by a lot of hype.. sure, there an awesome engine in there own right.. but you can build a 360 LA the same way with alot less cost and make more power.

Gen 3 Hemi definitely will eventually take over as the main go to engine for Mopars over the next couple of decades if the government doesn't outlaw the hobby in the meantime.
Before I got into the late model hemi`s , I`d go for a BMP , or Keith Black alum. 440 block and put my stuff in it !

I have heard that with smaller bearing diameters. If it doesn't make 20-30 horse is it really worth it?
I imagine in an average build no, in a high rpm, in a highly competitive race class where every last hp counts probably.

It all about volume. You can not compete with the volume of SBC and SBF users there are. Spend $300,000 to do a new 340 block and see how long it will take to

break even, if you ever do.

What would have worked 20-years ago doesn't work today.

Tom
you hit on something very important here: breaking even isn't the same as making money!

as an exercise say, 3K price point on a 340 block you'd have to sell 100 to break even at your initial 300K investment. and what's the ROI time wise? 18mo? two years? there's better, faster money to be made with that coin. (granted 2nd run with amortized costs and built in process, but still... you clear what? 1500 on a block? so now you have to sell another 100 to bank 50%)

then, you have as @AndyF noted, if you're gonna do it why not go ahead and make it better? well, then you're in the boat of needing proprietary or specialty bits. which, that's cool if you also produce those and are seeing some dough there but a huge bummer for the guy looking to buy a repop 340 block and transfer all his stuff over and not have to drop 1500 at the machine shop and 2K for a cam & lifters.

it's a great idea, but it's 100% about volume and there's just not enough there.

if the angle already existed, MP would've covered it, made it and then backed us into the corner, knife out and demanded our wallets.

which, granted, many would've gladly opened up and let them go elbow deep in the calf skin. but that's the 1% of the 1% of dudes that are all: "i'd totally buy a 340 block if they made 'em".

and that brings us to the age old truism of: cash talks and bullshit walks.

Before I got into the late model hemi`s , I`d go for a BMP , or Keith Black alum. 440 block and put my stuff in it !
When at some point a decent running 5.7l hemi can be swapped in for around grand it will be a no brainer for most.

When at some point a decent running 5.7l hemi can be swapped in for around grand it will be a no brainer for most.
think ur forgetting all the cost and Hassel of the stuff to make it run right !!

If people bought the ritter aftermarket block we got now by huge demands, they could probably start producing it cheaper and might cause other companies to build a competitors but no one's gonna invest if there's no market.

Last edited:
think ur forgetting all the cost and Hassel of the stuff to make it run right !!
I said WHEN like at some future point. The last 360 was made 2 decades ago it's not gonna be the go to engine forever, only reason it isn't now cause the cost and added complexity not always gonna be that way.

There's no shortage of 340 blocks out there. Granted, many of them are at least .030 over but you still see std bore ones for sale. Not to mention everyone that has horded them (myself included). At some point I will decide that I dont need to keep all these blocks.
I remember the MP "resto" blocks they sold a while back. I doubt too many bought them as they were kind of pricey for a mostly stock appearing block.

There's no shortage of 340 blocks out there.
Not bad for an 6 year run over 50 years ago and only sold as a performance option, shows a lot of 340 cars no longer exists one way or another.

Just saw a '72 340 block w/main caps for $1195.00 are you shitting me..someone needs to start re-casting 340 blocks at a reasonable price they'd make a killing!!!

Thanks for waking this place up. It was like a Morgue around here for the last five days.

Why would I want a 340 block, when there's plenty of 383's out there. lol
Short stroke, bigger bore.

The SB needs a redesign if it is going to worth tooling and I really doubt anyone is willing to invest that much money into the SB Mopar market these days

The factory already did a total redesign on the SBM.

-
Back