Someone needs to start re-casting 340 blocks

-
Not into gen 3 Hemi's, except in our new cars. Just not into that many special parts. My cars are plenty fast for me, imperfect as they are and evidently last forever.
I'm not into them either, but just read the forums and look around at shows, many hundreds are swapping them into classic cars.

I'd love to see that too, stroked 340 but the tooling costs alone would be astronomical!

There are not as many people as you would think interested in 340's anymore since the Gen 3 Hemi's became so popular in A-Body transplants. This conversion is getting cheaper and easier to do every

IIRC small block Ford Cleveland had smaller mains and was seen as the performance alternative to the Windsor larger mains. something about friction????
???? The Cleveland engine was the performance alternative to the Windsor period. If You mean swapping a crank w/Cleveland size bearings, & spacer/shim shells, yes, there is less friction. The 360 was designed ground-up as a cast crank unit, & in typical over-engineering fashion, Mopar probably made the mains larger to maintain crankpin/main overlap.

I have heard that with smaller bearing diameters. If it doesn't make 20-30 horse is it really worth it?
maybe it produces less heat and is helps the engine survive so even if it does not add HP it might be good????

It's all about volume. You can not compete with the volume of SBC and SBF users there are. Spend $300,000 to do a new 340 block and see how long it will take to

break even, if you ever do.

What would have worked 20-years ago doesn't work today.

Tom
Yes sir...and 300K would be a DEAL for all the tooling it would take, too.

???? The Cleveland engine was the performance alternative to the Windsor period. If You mean swapping a crank w/Cleveland size bearings, & spacer/shim shells, yes, there is less friction. The 360 was designed ground-up as a cast crank unit, & in typical over-engineering fashion, Mopar probably made the mains larger to maintain crankpin/main overlap.
I'd love to see back to back dyno testing of different size main bearings in automotive engines. I just bet there wouldn't be much difference.

I went down this Mopar rabbit hole when I retired because it was a great memory from my teenage years. I could never afford a 340 car, but always wanted (dreamed) of one. As my build winds down, she's pretty much finished in stock form. I passed on a freshly built and hot rodded 360 in favor of building my own 340 for more money......I had a 360 in a cargo van. :)

I went down this Mopar rabbit hole when I retired because it was a great memory from my teenage years. I could never afford a 340 car, but always wanted (dreamed) of one. As my build winds down, she's pretty much finished in stock form. I passed on a freshly built and hot rodded 360 in favor of building my own 340 for more money......I had a 360 in a cargo van. :)
I think it was a worthwhile investment, in the end, it'll run great & have more value as such.

I'd love to see back to back dyno testing of different size main bearings in automotive engines. I just bet there wouldn't be much difference.
Oh, You can be sure there has been, just not Nick's or the like....the teams doing it had a reason for doing so, would the avg. Rodder benefit?....not enough to justify the $$$$ for sure.

your choice
R3 ritter.png

INDYMAXX3856edcb78a1081640666a595fafeb2a_image_92x120.jpg
my choice

There are pros and cons to a 340 block.

PRO:
For me I like the smaller mains over the 360 because there are a lot more crankshaft options for the 340 main.

CON:
King XP 340 main bearings are now only available in a coated version, which cost double the non coated.

Tom
I thought that the 318 main bearings are the same as the 340's?

Oh, You can be sure there has been, just not Nick's or the like....the teams doing it had a reason for doing so, would the avg. Rodder benefit?....not enough to justify the $$$$ for sure.
I just looked up didn't find any dyno evidence, but one thing I seen Nascar put a limit how small they can go with main of 2" or other wise the teams would just keep going smaller, so obviously there's room for gains at that level but like you said doubt an average guy builds gonna matter. One other interesting thing the guy said if your bearing look good when it's rebuild time your leaving power on the table :) obviously meant for engines gone through all the time.

The factory already did a total redesign on the SBM.
Two redesigns if you count the Magnum and the 5.7 as redesigns. Maybe three redesigns if you consider the W2 heads and the 48 degree blocks as a redesign.

I had a really nice 340 block for sale a few years back coupled with a set of new in the box W2 heads. Actually took me a while to sell that stuff and I wasn't asking super high prices.

As many of you know I design, make and sell parts for big blocks and small blocks. Big block stuff outsells small block stuff by a wide margin. At least 3 to 1 and maybe 4 to 1 ratio. I've given up on designing new parts for the SB since the volume is so low. It just isn't worth it for me to invest money into making SB parts because there aren't enough buyers to justify the investment. I've done a production run of SB parts before and had to wait several years to get my money back. When that happens I delete the part number and focus my energy elsewhere.

Run a thermocouple off the side of the main caps, or something similar. and compare heat rise at the same time.

Just saw a '72 340 block w/main caps for $1195.00 are you shitting me..someone needs to start re-casting 340 blocks at a reasonable price they'd make a killing!!!

Aftermarket 340 blocks would cost around $4000 and they would probably still have the stupid lifters pointed sideways rather than at the rocker arm. The SB needs a redesign if it is going to worth tooling and I really doubt anyone is willing to invest that much money into the SB Mopar market these days

Someone does but there not cheap.

Ritter.

I had a really nice 340 block for sale a few years back coupled with a set of new in the box W2 heads. Actually took me a while to sell that stuff and I wasn't asking super high prices.

As many of you know I design, make and sell parts for big blocks and small blocks. Big block stuff outsells small block stuff by a wide margin. At least 3 to 1 and maybe 4 to 1 ratio. I've given up on designing new parts for the SB since the volume is so low. It just isn't worth it for me to invest money into making SB parts because there aren't enough buyers to justify the investment. I've done a production run of SB parts before and had to wait several years to get my money back. When that happens I delete the part number and focus my energy elsewhere.
that's a super bummer. i've been quite pleased with anything i've ever bought that you designed and i'd love if there was more trick small block stuff.

but i understand completely. make a $60 alternator kit and everybody bitches about about it and then wind up paying $40 for some shitty repop that you have dick around with to fit. meanwhile they coulda just spent the extra jackson for the trick piece of kit that actually works and is made well.

-
Back