Sometimes I just want to give up!

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Everytime I get the money to finish the Dart something else comes up. Fixing up my 98 Dakota to go on vaction in June, brakes haven't been up to par lately. Pulled the rear drums, leaking axle seal, shoes are worn down to about 1/8 inch, run to auto parts (40 miles one way)get shoes, drum, seals, shocks. Get one seal pulled wrong seals, look them up and they gave me for front axle, mine is just 2 wheel drive, look up the correct seals, call another parts store, discontinued item, wtf, would think they where the same seal used in all 8 1/4 Chrysler rear ends (correct?). Hop in another car back to another auto parts(40 miles one way again)they are able to cross reference and get me seals. Get home get the shoes off, wheel cylinder leaking, back to yet another auto parts(yep 40 miles again), get home almost dark, so put everything away and get ready to start again today. Tuesday it goes for tranny fluid and filter change, Friday for oil change and tire rotation, check alignment. Then need to get ac fixed.
Think I'm going to borrow against my 401 K to get the Dart put back together(I know you shouldn't finance toys)

Some incentive.The first couple of pictures is when I wanted to give up.With a lot of encouragement from the good guys on this and other sites, I got this far.Don,t give up it will come in time. Mark

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 61.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 52.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 226
  • Picture028.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 021011_2109[01][1].jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 041011_2109[00][1].jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 030812183531.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 198
  • AAAA0035.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 212
It's a pain for sure. Lately, I've decided to just bring the old parts with me to match up.

I feel your pain , have had my share of set backs. Time and money ..... they never seem to match up. Taking from your 401 sounds like a good fix but your taking from yourself and you will never get it back. Don't mess with your retirement. your car is now ,your retirement is later and the way things are going we're giong to need all we can get. How about this instead. Take out a personal loan. Not too big something you can pay off quickly but gives you enough to get some stuff done. Once its paid off do it again. I have had freinds that have done this and it worked for them, avoid pilling stuff on credit cards. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Heck the back brakes don't do most the braking and the thing is 14 years old. Let things like seals go and would have just replaced the cylinder and shoes-but then I'm lazy and cheap as well, lol

Borrowing against a 401 k may seam like a good idea now but probably wont down the road. Its hard to stay focused on whats really important. Cars are toys. Fringe benefits. Dont how old you are, but the at 48 I have realized the hurdles life puts up in front of you never stop coming and often keep getting higher. Pull yourself up by your boot straps, keep a stiff upper lip, hold your head up, never let em see you sweat......yada yada yada........ it all works out in the end. LOL

Dartcuda, thanks for the pics, my dart doesn't need anything near that extensive work, mainly rust repair around battery, and repaint of engine compartment, body paint is ok, a few chips and scratchs. After the engine compartment I can piece meal it a little, a part here and there when money permits. I have settled myself to live with it as a cruiser, because I am not going to search out nos trim etc. There are a lot of things it could use (new top, seat covers, etc.)but they can wait.

-
Back