Speaking Of Hard To Get Parts....

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
In another thread, we're discussing how tough it is to find parts. I ordered a Cold Case Radiator back on August 16th. Placed the order with Summit after I called Cold Case and they said it was about $100 cheaper through Summit. So hell yeah that's what I did. This is for Mr. Buddy's 65 Chevy truck I just built the 283 for. The 6 cylinder radiator, while enough to start the engine and do the break in, isn't enough to actually drive the truck. A couple of weeks before I placed the order, I send Cold Case a message here on the forum asking about a forum discount and about ordering from them. Crickets. ....and as of now I've still heard not one thing. So the original ship date for the radiator (not in stock at Summit) was August 26th. Then it got pushed back to September 26th. So today I called Cold Case and asked them if they sold radiators. lol I explained the deal and was told that this production line would ship the end of this week. I guess I just wish people wouldn't sell something they didn't have on the shelf. I understand Summit not having it. They caint stock everything. But you'd think a company like Cold Case would have a Chevy truck radiator on the shelf. Would have also been nice of the Cold Case rep here to return my message. Summit offered earlier this week either a refund or to wait it out. I chose to wait, but if it has not shipped by September 16th and gets pushed back again, Cold Case is going to lose a sale. I gotta cool 80 year old friend ready to drive his cool old truck.

In another thread, we're discussing how tough it is to find parts. I ordered a Cold Case Radiator back on August 16th. Placed the order with Summit after I called Cold Case and they said it was about $100 cheaper through Summit. So hell yeah that's what I did. This is for Mr. Buddy's 65 Chevy truck I just built the 283 for. The 6 cylinder radiator, while enough to start the engine and do the break in, isn't enough to actually drive the truck. A couple of weeks before I placed the order, I send Cold Case a message here on the forum asking about a forum discount and about ordering from them. Crickets. ....and as of now I've still heard not one thing. So the original ship date for the radiator (not in stock at Summit) was August 26th. Then it got pushed back to September 26th. So today I called Cold Case and asked them if they sold radiators. lol I explained the deal and was told that this production line would ship the end of this week. I guess I just wish people wouldn't sell something they didn't have on the shelf. I understand Summit not having it. They caint stock everything. But you'd think a company like Cold Case would have a Chevy truck radiator on the shelf. Would have also been nice of the Cold Case rep here to return my message. Summit offered earlier this week either a refund or to wait it out. I chose to wait, but if it has not shipped by September 16th and gets pushed back again, Cold Case is going to lose a sale. I gotta cool 80 year old friend ready to drive his cool old truck.
Yes...RRR I'm with ya. Just in general, I'm careful to look any find an in-stock item. I've only had a couple of occasions where the in-stock item is suddenly a back-order item. Some places are better than others for accuracy of their stocked items. Hope your guy gets his truck soon!

Yes...RRR I'm with ya. Just in general, I'm careful to look any find an in-stock item. I've only had a couple of occasions where the in-stock item is suddenly a back-order item. Some places are better than others for accuracy of their stocked items. Hope your guy gets his truck soon!
Thanks, me too! I mean, I didn't even think about it not being in stock. A Chevy truck radiator? For real? LOL

I paid Hampton blowers 50% down on a sbm 6-71 complete setup and 5 months later had nothing but a mile long list of excuses. Refund and move on. Someone else might have one in stock.

Cold Case seems to have disappeared from FABO. I sent emails, messages and tried calling to get the specs on a radiator, and as RRR says "Crickets". I moved on and got the information I needed from another vendor and bought the radiator from them.

I'm afraid it won't be long , but if we all want to rehab these old cars , we'll be doing it like the guys in Cuba.
Or Mad Max style !

I'm afraid it won't be long , but if we all want to rehab these old cars , we'll be doing it like the guys in Cuba.
Or Mad Max style !
I already do that. I don’t believe I’ve ever ordered anything online, except the seat cover I got from Legendary, and that’s only because they don’t come to the Nats anymore. Never opened a catalog from Classic, never ordered anything from Year One, I buy my stuff from vendors at the Nats if I have to have new, but I usually always use OEM parts and refurb them myself.

And don’t even get me started on Rock Auto, wasted more time buying their generic coil spring for the wife’s Subaru that it would take to crawl to the dealership to get the correct piece. One and done there.

If it's so common, how come you didn't have it?

I get what you're saying about 'they're a radiator shop after all....', (and my dad has a half-dozen mid-60's Chevy trucks), but the fact is, there just aren't that many out there and they can't afford to buy(build) one and have it sit on a shelf any more than you can.

If it's so common, how come you didn't have it?

I get what you're saying about 'they're a radiator shop after all....', (and my dad has a half-dozen mid-60's Chevy trucks), but the fact is, there just aren't that many out there and they can't afford to buy(build) one and have it sit on a shelf any more than you can.
Funny you said that. I actually have TWO chevy truck radiators behind the shop.....just none for an early one.

Funny you said that. I actually have TWO chevy truck radiators behind the shop.....just none for an early one.

Sad to say but that's the issue. Go back far enough, and the people attached to a certain era of vehicle becomes very small. That's going to be muscle-era Mopars in short order.

Sad to say but that's the issue. Go back far enough, and the people attached to a certain era of vehicle becomes very small. That's going to be muscle-era Mopars in short order.
Yes sir and that WILL be a shame, indeed.

I sent cold case a pm last week still no response. I called them a couple days ago and and was very polite and asked a very simple question about modifications when they build their radiators and the guy was a total prick as soon as I said anything “custom” he said, “nope, no where, we’ve never done anything custom for anybody. What we have is what we offer. That’s it.” ….Lol.

So I hate to say it, I bought a champion for my w200, but it came in the mail on Friday. It was damaged, and also warped. lay it flat and it wobbles.
Who is the champion Rep on here??

I have been trying to spend few grand on parts can’t get the shop to send me qoute or return my call and I’ve called them 3 times and spoke to them, they get till Tuesday then im heading to a Sponsor here to purchase.

So I cancelled the Cold Case order with Summit. Turned around and ordered a Summit brand radiator for almost $100 cheaper. Summit had it in stock in their Georgia store. Says it will be here Tuesday. I bet it might be here tomorrow. Cold Case won't be around long ignoring customers and not having things in stock. I had a problem with one fitting a 62 Corvette when I worked with Matt down the road. This guy runs a high end restoration shop in our county. They told him to "modify the car" to fit. This guy turns out some 100K-250K restorations. He ordered a Griffin exact fit and threw the Cold Case in the corner. Far as I know it's still there. To heck with them Cold Case guys.

LMC Truck Parts sells radiators. I am helping a friend restore his 86 GMC Jimmy. He has bought a lot from LMC.

So have I! Gladys has lots of LMC parts on her.
when I built my 406 gmc , lmc was the highest place of all for the parts I needed , didnt buy a single thing from them ...
Rob , u shoulda went griffin to start with ...jmo
this 28x19 griffin was bent in a floor jack incedent about 12ish yrs ago , never has leaked a drop !!

IMG_0539 (3).jpg

IMG_0539 (3).jpg

Honestly cold case sucks, their radiators don’t even mount up to the shroud right. They know this and still don’t correct it. I have had better luck with $120 cheap aluminum eBay radiators

Honestly cold case sucks, their radiators don’t even mount up to the shroud right. They know this and still don’t correct it. I have had better luck with $120 cheap aluminum eBay radiators
I am inclined to agree after this. I found out Summit radiators are made by Northern Radiator, in USA. Whether they are all made here or not, I don't know. But the company is based here. I've seen the Cold Case rep say their radiators are made in China. Oh and lastly, the Cold Case radiator I ordered for Mr. Buddy's truck was pushed out to December 1st ship date the day I cancelled the order. I just looked on the Summit site and their radiator will be here tomorrow.

-
Back