Speedmaster heads are on and running.....

-
So now you need to dial in the carburetor and then it will go 12.99?
that cam with 204 duration @ 050 just isn't pulling. It's the right cam for 2.94's and stock converter, but a mismatched cam for the heads/intake/carb. It won't turn RPM's, probably shifting it at 4800 would be my guess.

Wonder how far you could comfortably push the SM valve springs, etc? Or are the factory rockers then the weak link?

Wonder how far you could comfortably push the SM valve springs, etc? Or are the factory rockers then the weak link?
Wasn't the SM heads good to .550 or .600 ?? I'd have to look again. But yes, the stamped steel pushrods would be an issue before the springs would be an issue. .500 lift is plenty (I only have .427 now), but I need to get the duration up somewhere around 236 - 240. That would really move the power band up around 6000 rpm's.
*Even the cam in this link would be a huge improvement
Lunati Voodoo Camshafts 10200703

Last edited:
U did good buddy. After all u wanted a direct comparison and that’s what u got. Better compression would sure help with a better cam. Carbs can make a huge difference also. My duster was running 10.80 in really bad air and 90 some degree temperatures. Had a 750 QF on it. Switched to a Pro Systems 1000. Ran 10.54 the next pass. More tweeting now runs 10.40s in the heat. Kim

U did good buddy. After all u wanted a direct comparison and that’s what u got.
right here what I quoted is spot on. I wanted a direct comparison, and that is what we got. We already knew my car was not the ideal place for these heads to shine, but we gained a couple mph and 2.5 tenths. Now, I'm set up for future changes :)

You just need the other components to the combo. The lunati you listed is pretty good choice.
A convertor and 3.55 or 3.70 gear would be nice too.
I'm afraid a suregrip is in your future or spool

My honest guess was 12.9's. I was wrong. 13.13. 60ft stayed the same 1.86. Lost 1st round of trophy by 500th of a second. Had some difficulties.... Rain delay, car was lean and I got it to quit snapping by moving the acc pump cam to #2, not sure it isn't pulling vacuum from between ports or something.
This is been my point with you for years now and it's finally coming to roost. 16 down to 13 ain't the same as 13 down to 10... From 16 to 13 you can add some headers and another part here or take a little weight off there and get a noticeable gain. The 13 to 10 cost money and gets a lot harder.. I assume 13.13 was your best time slip, what were your others?

This is been my point with you for years now and it's finally coming to roost. 16 down to 13 ain't the same as 13 down to 10... From 16 to 13 you can add some headers and another part here or take a little weight off there and get a noticeable gain. The 13 to 10 cost money and gets a lot harder.. I assume 13.13 was your best time slip, what were your others?
  1. My other? 13.17 with a lean snap through the carb off the line.
  2. To your point? You trolled me for 3 years waiting for a time I was a 1.5 tenths off on my "out of town-seat of the pants guess" to make your point. Go fly a kite

1. My other? 13.17 with a lean snap through the carb off the line.
  2. To your point? You trolled me for 3 years waiting for a time I was a 1.5 tenths off on my "out of town-seat of the pants guess" to make your point. Go fly a kite
Bahahaha... I trolled You!??.... LOL...
Look at half of my new threads you're the first one to answer with some jack wheel comment LOL....
Don't get mad because I was right... I've been telling you for years that your seat of the pants works above 13 seconds LOL....
I wonder what was going on? I don't remember you saying about it snapping when you are test driving it at home?..

Well one good thing is pretty much anything you do at this point should get you that extra tenth of a second..

Bahahaha... I trolled You!??.... LOL...

.. I've been telling you for years .
Your own words, I just quoted. Trolled my ET guesses. Yep, for years you waited and finally yesterday i was a tenth and a half off of my seat of the pants. God in heaven, please forgive me...

Last edited:
Getting you jumping up and down is worth all the effort LOL...
Honestly I was hoping for the 12:9 LOL..

Yep. You gained. Good job. Teaches mis matched is mis matched no matter how bitchin ya think itll be.
You have a great low buck/rpm combo and killed it with quite simply... the wrong head.

Lightly ported is about as far as that cam and combo will go before they're left behind. Open the valve a true .480 or so, rpm range 2500- 6000 and the speedblasters will do their job.
I'd like to see the 360 head back on, lighty ported . I wanna see the max potential realized. Thanks for sharing.

Yep. You gained. Good job. Teaches mis matched is mis matched
I'd like to see the 360 head back on, lighty ported . I wanna see the max potential realized. Thanks for sharing.
we all knew going in my cam wouldn't maximize the heads. Still, it was fun to see, I just love stuff like that. Plan now is to put a better cam in, with some better gears, and a better converter.

Using the Moroso chart, assuming around 3500lbs race weight......
Going from 99 to 101 shows a gain of 15hp.
Going from 13.38 down to 13.13 shows a gain of 12hp.

It was a good test.

The next 2mph is gonna take another 18hp or so.

Using the Moroso chart, assuming around 3500lbs race weight......
Going from 99 to 101 shows a gain of 15hp.
Going from 13.38 down to 13.13 shows a gain of 12hp.

It was a good test.

The next 2mph is gonna take another 18hp or so.
You mean it's not linear?...

Your own words, I just quoted. Trolled my ET guesses. Yep, for years you waited and finally yesterday i was a tenth and a half off of my seat of the pants. God in heaven, please forgive me...
I like that you selectively quoted part of what I said to fit your conversation LOL..
No more comments from me. I'll leave you to all the people who like to tickle you nuts and tell you what you want to hear...
By by...

Everything has its place.

You basically 'at your valve lifts' gained 6-8 cfm. That's a days work most would rather watch for free. Lol

The real test....put the other heads back on, change the cam and the rest, gear, convertor...run it...then swap heads.

It has to be apples to apples... not apples to caramel dipped apples.

What do they add, same cam and everything when used in their 'sweet spot'

You basically 'at your valve lifts' gained 6-8 cfm. That's a days work most would rather watch for free. Lol

The real test....put the other heads back on, change the cam and the rest, gear, convertor...run it...then swap heads.

J par should be able to answer the apples to apples question.

As many of these SM heads that were sold to FABO members, I think you'll have two handfuls of examples of what the difference is with hot cams and such. I'm sure I'll be the only one that went on the opposite side of the spectrum and asked "what would be the difference on the stock end of things"? Glad I did, because now we know

-
Back