speedmaster stuff pulled from Summit racing shelves

-
A lot of people want to blame china for the poor quality stuff, but although a lot of outsourced junk comes from there, it's really the greedy companies that are to blame. I worked with radio controlled products for years and have experience with chinese made products, some are extremely high quality, but have a big price tag to go with it, and some others are just pure junk. Some RC companies have built such a good reputation that if they lowered their quality, they would be talked about everywhere. The super low quality RC companies don't care because their junk is so cheap, newbie buyers will assume it's great value and then be disappointed, but since there are many newbies out there, they continue to sell.

Now, where people are having a huge misunderstanding here with the scum Stealmaster, sorry I meant Speedmaster, is the harm that is done with the counterfeit product in question.
The product in question is the junk valve body with the Broader Performance name/logo on it. The fact that Broader Performance is milled into the product that someone else other than Broader performance made or had made is what makes it counterfeit. This is a crime, yes an actual crime. The stinking fake products are now in the usa being sold illegally by Speedmaster. If Broader Performance wants to press charges, they can, which they should.

Last edited:
And yet even with all the objections to China stealing our product designs, I find it disappointing that so many people here are happy to photocopy wiring diagrams, service manuals and all sorts of copyrighted written documents and publish them online for free.
Is that considered "fair use" if the person isn't profiting from it?

I bought some super stock wheel well templates from a member here and it took a lot of convincing and since his idea was so nicely done I offered to pay more than he'd sell them for.
Problem was that he sold them to a dick head former member and that dude decided he'd copy them and sell them on eBay.
That's bullshit in my book, the dude took the time to make these templates, just for someone else to profit.

Is that considered "fair use" if the person isn't profiting from it?
That's a good question. If the reproduced product shared is currently for sale by the copyright holder, he could rightfully claim to have suffered damages from non-authorized use of his property.

Last edited:
John, it's not so much about where it's made as it is about copying someone else's design. China made is a fact of life everywhere in the world today. If speedmaster was paying for a license to reproduce or a royalty, it would be a different story.

Would you be happy if someone took a set of you ported heads, digitally mapped them, then reproduced your work on a cnc machine and started doing heads for customers a lot cheaper than you can?

Sadly, our economy for the most part moved from manufacturing to service years ago. Yes, we all contributed to it.

Edelbrock didn’t reinvent the wheel when they produced the RPM head. The took dimensions of a stock cast iron head. Same rocker shafts, same rockers fit, 2.02 valve size, 1.60 valve size, same intake bolt pattern, same exhaust bolt pattern, same alternator bolt pattern, ect. Edelbrock didn’t reinvent the wheel here guys.

Back in 1992 when I was stationed in Korea you could buy anything and 99.99% were cloned parts.

A friend went downtown and bought a Yamaha 5 channel AMP for like $115. I had the same model I had bought in USA for $450. They both sounded the same in the low freq's but his tweeter freq's were cleaner.

They had a Korondo 4X4 that looked just like a Jeep CJ7 and the doors, fender and hoods fit on a CJ with a bit of bolt hole alignment filing. Jeep never got a dime.

The Police rode motorcycles that were a dead ringer of a 1950's Harley. Harley never got a dime.

You could go to a street Kiosk and pick 200 CD of the most recent music in America and it cost about $1 per CD. They burnt it right then and there and printed the liner too. 10% dead ringer to the real product that was $9 to $12 in the PX/BX on base.

This is not new.

Ohhhh boy. I wonder if Summit knows.

IMG_2595.jpeg

Edelbrock didn’t reinvent the wheel when they produced the RPM head. The took dimensions of a stock cast iron head. Same rocker shafts, same rockers fit, 2.02 valve size, 1.60 valve size, same intake bolt pattern, same exhaust bolt pattern, same alternator bolt pattern, ect. Edelbrock didn’t reinvent the wheel here guys.
I don't think there is a member who think Edelbrock reinvented anything. Their head was sold as a direct replacement for a stock head, that'd be hard to do if you moved the rockers, changed exhaust & intake bolt pattern and port locations. They did make improvements though, smaller stem valves, better chambers and the ports, ootb they flow about what ported X or J heads will.

Would you be okay if someone copied your port work and started cnc porting heads?

I don't think there is a member who think Edelbrock reinvented anything. Their head was sold as a direct replacement for a stock head, that'd be hard to do if you moved the rockers, changed exhaust & intake bolt pattern and port locations. They did make improvements though, smaller stem valves, better chambers and the ports, ootb they flow about what ported X or J heads will.

Would you be okay if someone copied your port work and started cnc porting heads?

A cnc would never do, could never do what I do to a shortside. And that my friend is why I can gain cfm on any cnc’d head out there. Guaranteed work for those that know.

You get my point though.
It's something you would have to accept, You do the work and someone copies it, that's the way it goes. If it is patented or copyrighted and you can prove it was copied, then take it to court and you will need to prove it. If someone overseas copies it whether it is protected here, you just have to let it go. No rules apply there.

They can CNC the port and hand finish the short turns.

Just because a guy can turn on a cnc machine doesn’t qualify him to be able to turn on a grinder. Is he going to make a port better, or worse. That is the 1000.00 question Johnny. My son runs cnc machinery but I wouldn’t want him touching my heads. He doesn’t have what it takes

Just because a guy can turn on a cnc machine doesn’t qualify him to be able to turn on a grinder. Is he going to make a port better, or worse. That is the 1000.00 question Johnny. My son runs cnc machinery but I wouldn’t want him touching my heads. He doesn’t have what it takes

What makes you think the guy doing the finish work is the same guy loading the CNC???

Doesn’t have to be. Probably wouldn’t be.

What does all that have to do with stealing your port work? Do you think they give a **** if they don’t do the short turns the way you do?

Theft is theft.

What makes you think the guy doing the finish work is the same guy loading the CNC???

Doesn’t have to be. Probably wouldn’t be.

What does all that have to do with stealing your port work? Do you think they give a **** if they don’t do the short turns the way you do?

Theft is theft.

Did you take your chill pills today. Lol. Double up if you did.

I have no clue what you are talking about. I see TMM agrees with what you asked but it makes no sense to me.
why can't they make the port to the shape of the port "after it's been ported" before it's been ported?
LOL....
I'm talking when they form the head, make the ports to the shape it's going to be after it's been ported so no porting is necessary... :)

why can't they make the port to the shape of the port "after it's been ported" before it's been ported?
LOL....
I'm talking when they form the head, make the ports to the shape it's going to be after it's been ported so no porting is necessary... :)

Who says that would be the correct port for everything? That’s why the W5 came with small ports. You made it what you wanted.

When Trick Flow heads came out I wanted to buy them bare and unported.

I’m of the opinion I can do better than they did.

They can CNC the port and hand finish the short turns.
Sure they could for an added fee, will it be ready to run OOTB or are you guy's still gonna check their work. :D
I bet everyone would expect the refined version for 40% off on Black Friday.
What would a fair price be?

-
Back