speedometer cable pinion seal leak

-

Firstblood

Reaction score
1965 Dart with 4 speed, early style pinion is leaking and lube drips off the speedo cable.
Previous owner replaced the seal at some point because of a leak, but it still leaks.
I purchased new seals from Brewers.
After i replaced the seals it still leaks.
I took it back apart to check my work and it looked like it was installed correctly.
In a last-ditch effort, I pulled it again and reversed the seal but it still leaks.
The service manual says the lip goes towards the cable housing.
I googled my butt off to no avail, I think it goes like my second pic. (the first seal picture)
At this point, I know I need a new pinion because several teeth are half gone, and probably a new cable.
Which way does that seal go? Thanks!
Edit: I asked for this to be moved to transmission and drivetrain tech

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

Last edited:
Ok I just googled it and it's listed for 66 and up if you want to look...I googled 69 dart speedo gear seals

As far as I know just 2 seals, the large o-ring on the main body and the green seal that goes into the pinion
That’s what the 65 TSM aays. If you’re getting oil outside of the câble, then I’d suspect either a bad outer seal (large O Ring) or the sleeve assembly is defective. A new cable assembly (if you can find one) and seal likely would fix the issue. If fluid is weeping up the inside of the cable, then replacing the inside pinion seal with the lip towards the Cable housing Is the fix. Good luck on the repair

That’s what the 65 TSM aays. If you’re getting oil outside of the câble, then I’d suspect either a bad outer seal (large O Ring) or the sleeve assembly is defective. A new cable assembly (if you can find one) and seal likely would fix the issue. If fluid is weeping up the inside of the cable, then replacing the inside pinion seal with the lip towards the Cable housing Is the fix. Good luck on the repair
Thanks Dartman,
I replaced the large outer seal o-ring and the assembly is dry around it at the case.
It has to be getting thru the cable housing assembly.
Could you or anyone confirm this is the lip side of the seal in the picture?

IMG_1311.JPG

I’ll take a look at all the pinions I’ve saved and try and confirm.

FWIW I’ve had several units rebuilt with new correct steel cables. They looked brand nee!

Just looked at the 5 I have and the lip is as described in the shop nanual

I tried taking pictures but they don’t show up too well in the blue and green(?) pinions. Best shot were in the white/cream colored ones

IMG_7004.jpeg

IMG_7005.jpeg

I tried taking pictures but they don’t show up too well in the blue and green(?) pinions. Best shot were in the white/cream colored ones

View attachment 1716263758

View attachment 1716263762

I also took some pictures of the seal in the pinion and it was hard getting a good pic.
Thats how I installed it the first time, but after still leaking I had my doubts.
Lube has to be getting thru the cable housing assembly.
I ordered a new cable.
Thanks again for the help.

-
Back