speedometer cable problem

-

medion

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I've swapped my Slant 6 67 Dart with a 318. It was a 3 speeds manual and now is equipped with a T904. Everything works except the speedometer. I just plugged the original speedo cable in the Torqueflite but it doens't work. Did I miss something ? Any info will be welcomed !!!

Simple question is, are you sure there is a speedo gear in there? Next, is the housing oriented properly? Lastly, are you sure you got the cable IN the end of the gear? It's easy to "think" so, but miss it.

Hello.
Thanks for your help.
You mean that there is a housing on the T904 with a speedogear inside ? I just remember a big cast with no external housing. Is there a possibility to check this gear without dissassembling the box ? I hope so !

Not a seperate housing . The speedo drive is inserted into the side of the trans case. It can turn ecentricly to accomodate different diameter drive gears.

Oups ... It's getting complicated here ! There is no way to check this without desambling the box ?

Sorry. I had tryed to simplify it.
There might be more than one screw holding the speedo drive in the side of the trans case. It is round, has some locating notches in it, and the cable attaches directly to it.
A service manual would help you a lot.

Thank you Redfish. I'll give it a try.

I had a similar problem after changing speedo drives after a diff change. Looks as if the speedo cable is just missing the drive. I used needle nose pliars and gently pulled the speedo inner cable forward a little.
Worked fine aftr that. If you have been wrestling withthe speedo outer cable, it may have pulled the inner out of its location in the speedo drive.

thank you TimDart ... I'll try this ... What kind of car do you have ?

My car is a '74 Dart sport. Logic suggests that its worth trying the easy fix whatever year. Just undo the large bolt end of the cable at the trans end and see if you can feel the cable.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try. :thumbup:

-
Back