Speedomotive engines

-

1971challengerR/T

Reaction score
I just want to warn everyone to stay away from this company......I had speedomotive build me a 520 cid Mopar and the engine failed after 51 miles. The company charged me for Comp lifters....and put the cheap 440 source lifters in resulting in the engine failure. Taking no responsibilty....George and the Speedomotive have done nothing for me to help with the $5000 bill to repair engine. PLEASE STAY AWAY FORM THIS COMPANY....

Kevin

I have found out the hard way that it's better to buy/have built locally.

The locals are more inclined to do better work and stand behind it since they live amongst you.

Ask me about SMR transmissions....f'kn bad deal...First one failed with 18 miles on it....he said nothing was wrong with it.....so to help me out I send back the transmission..at my cost after paying to have it removed. he sends me a temp transmission at my shipping cost, I pay to have it installed as once again I have no time and it leaks like a sieve from around the pan....even after 3 tries at sealing with cork, paper and o-ring gaskets....something with the case...perforated casting I guess. So I complained again and he would not step up unless I paid for shipping both ways...again....so I'm stuck. He did give me the difference in cost between the original transmission and the temporary transmission but that did not even cover the cost of labor and fluids.

So now I always have a pan under my car and wonder how much oil is left every time I drive it....yes I check and yes I have to add often....messy deal.

Should have gone local and would not be writing this...

Hear that Pat?

I just want to warn everyone to stay away from this company......I had speedomotive build me a 520 cid Mopar and the engine failed after 51 miles. The company charged me for Comp lifters....and put the cheap 440 source lifters in resulting in the engine failure. Taking no responsibilty....George and the Speedomotive have done nothing for me to help with the $5000 bill to repair engine. PLEASE STAY AWAY FORM THIS COMPANY....

Kevin
Were they a participant in the mopar engine build off in mopar mag?? they sound familiar, sorry your having issues, I wanted to buy a "crate" type of engine, but my wife (the boss) said NO get it built locally for the same reason Momoparman gives, so far no issues and they (Baril Engine) even took it for a day and tuned it for me after i got it back in and running.

The company charged me for Comp lifters....and put the cheap 440 source lifters in resulting in the engine failure.

Uhhuh......... .......... ................

It really would of exploded with the cheap junk crap COMP lifters..... Probably the same lifters you are ranting about from 440 source.

Really is there anybody that you can trust now days to build you a good motor????? Especially a MOPAR..... You are better off buying a crate motor or Indy motor and taking your chances ..... i hear horror stories all the time ...... IF any of you guys have had luck with a specific builder ... Please chime in becuase i need to know of a respectable builder that stands behind his work ....

Sorry to hear! Man to think of the $$ invested and have nothing to show for it. Up here there is a local guy that works at Carquest(used to be Mckerlie Millen). His name is Al Cavanagh, specializes in 340's and he races too, so he knows what he is doing.

Fortunately we have our little group of Mopar guys and one of them knows his stuff,he is doing my engine,and I have seen some of his work,he's a perfectionist to say the least.

Car guys are some of the smartest, toughest guys on the planet. We don't pay other people to do stuff we can learn how to do better ourselves. Come on yall. I know it's nice to have the money to pay somebody to build stuff, but a novice can assemble a 727 or 904 in an couple of hours. I can assemble one in 45 minutes. If you're uncomfortable with something, read up on it. Grab a friend who knows more. But don't keep gettin ripped off. There's an old sying that goes "if you want somethin done right, you gotta do it yourself" and there's a lot of truth to that. I mean the guys at Speedomotive and SMR put their pants on one leg at a frikkin time just like the rest of us. They were new to buildin stuff once. If you want more reliable service, then learn to do it and take the time to do it yourself. Because nowadays there are too many people out there lookin to rip you off.

I bought a 500 stoker from Speedomotive and it lasted about 60 miles before it failed.They would not do anything for me as well.This was about 5 years ago now I build my own engines.
AND YES STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY....................................................................

The shop we have specializes in BBCs but the owner has done my dad's Caddy 472 since he's a fan of those engines and helped him build up a Ford FE 370. They agreed to do my 360, and they've done a very good job on the last two so I'm feeling confident especially since they know a lot of mopar guys come in there as well.

C&S Performance in Butler WI.

i bought a speedomotive stroker kit for my friends camaro,it was 2000. and the crank hit the bottom of the pistons.had my crank grinder cut it down and finally it went together.they sold this as a drop in kit.don't buy stuff from guys who don't back thier work,you don't have to be a victim

Mr. McAuley forgot to inform the group he declined to return engine for no cost repair under engine warranty. He decided to have repaired locally with Speedomotive supplying over $2,000 in parts for no charge. Speedomotive also prevailed over 440Source in CA court for misrepresenting lifter sale.
George

I have heard quite a few horror stories about speedomotive. I choose instead to have a local guy build up my 440.

Question for you guys sort of on topic. Would you hold an engine builder responsible for a piece of the rotating assembly ( specifically a rod) for a metalurgical failure?

Really is there anybody that you can trust now days to build you a good motor????? Especially a MOPAR..... You are better off buying a crate motor or Indy motor and taking your chances ..... i hear horror stories all the time ...... IF any of you guys have had luck with a specific builder ... Please chime in becuase i need to know of a respectable builder that stands behind his work ....

Call Mike at MRL Performance. Mopars only and he will stand behind anything that he builds. He has built 2 engines for me and never had a problem with either one. Very knowledgable and easy to talk to. He also lives in Michigan.

Local is the best way to go. If you can assemble it yourself you can save some money, but the main reason I assemble my own motors is to check everything before assembly. Over the years I have seen almost every shop I have used make a mistake. Worst one was a 351 ford that was balanced and supposed to be ready to assemble. The rod side clearance was half of spec and would have caused failure most likely. They were told crank was from another motor but either forgot or never checked the rod side clearance. Some basic measuring tools, plastagauge and a good torque wrench give me alot of piece of mind. Point being if you let someone else put your motor together and put on all the tin work you have no way of knowing what is realy inside. There are alot of good shops with good people building motors but you don't know who does any of your work unless you are there watching.

Mr. McAuley forgot to inform the group he declined to return engine for no cost repair under engine warranty. He decided to have repaired locally with Speedomotive supplying over $2,000 in parts for no charge. Speedomotive also prevailed over 440Source in CA court for misrepresenting lifter sale.
George

Well ain't all that real special? So what about all the others here claiming to have had a problem with your services? And this is just a small sampling from your sales I am sure. Not lookin too good so far buckwheat. I don't give a rat's butt how many court cases you won. That doesn't mean a damn thing.

George

Is that true Kevin? Sucks that the engine didn't last but not uncommon now days to have cams go flat right away. What specifically happened?

Yes when I talked to George about selling me a bad engine He said "We don't sell bad engines" and would not even offer to make good on the $6500.00 dollar engine I bought.
Hard lesson learned $6500.00 is alot of money for me.Stay away from these clowns PLEASE............

Outlaw Racing in Waco, Tx., Jack did up my short block 451 & did a fantastic job.

-
Back