spend the extra bucks

-

ef8340

Reaction score
i wanted to replace the upper and lower ball joints on the new suspension i got and went to advanced auto they showed they offered 2 a cheap one and 10 bucks more for the MOOG stuff i thought to my self (self i could use the extra cash to buy paint and detail all this stuff out make it pretty) so i got the cheap stuff well i got the driver side done after it took me 3 hrs of file work on the flat parts of the new upper bushings so my ball joint socket would fit this morning i started to assemble the pass side well i had to file that one too and for a extra bonus the threads appear to be stupid so i,ve been wrestling with that should have it done tomorrow as i would really like to have it on its wheels again

man that sucks what brand was the cheap stuff? Moog stuff is usually top notch in my experience, hope ya can get it back together soon:)

Ball joint sockets never really fit very well for me regardless.
Mine is Matco and I wasn't happy with the way it fit my Moog UBJs.
BJ threads are also very shallow and rounded, a real pain to get started perfectly.
Just the way it is I guess.

I have been down the cheap way one time. The parts went together decently but 10K miles later I had the privledge of doing it again. I didn't need the experience or want to pay for another alignment but I had both.

At least you can learn from your experience. I have friends who still go to autozone to buy junk and many times pay more for it. There reasoning....it's got a warranty. Hahaha, not much of a warranty when you have to change them 3 times in a year.

Don't buy the driveworks/cheap parts.Advance or anywhere unless you've got to.Moog or TRW are always a lot better part,fit and lie of part.8)

well guys its together one problem though the pass side upper didnt seat all the way its about a 1/8th from seating problem is that the threads seemed to be gulling 3/4 of the way down i dont think it will come out but im gonna run acouple welds on it to be sure i cant even get the darn thing to come back off with 1/2 drive 2 ft long breaker bar with a 3 ton floor jack handle on it

i use to be the retail parts pro at an advance in vincennes indiana. dont buy the cheapo driveworks brand. also, any military, public service, or if youve recently lost your home to a natural disaster, tell them and get your 10% discount. they are super stingy about it. i always gave a discount to anyone who helps the community/nation in a positive way. personally i shop at my local carquest in bedford indiana. they treat me the best and i rarely have problems with their parts.

I recently checked online at prices for the ball joints on my 67 Dart, Advance was about twice as high as Northern Auto Parts for the Moog stuff. One question on Northerns website they were listed as Moog/problem solvers, is that just Moog or is it a lesser quality Moog(one of those made by *** for Moog things?)? Looks like i will be going to Motor Parts Central (the walk in store for Northern Auto Parts), plus they are all car guys, and one of the employees restored a 66 Baracuda a couple years ago, so they know there stuff.

I recently checked online at prices for the ball joints on my 67 Dart, Advance was about twice as high as Northern Auto Parts for the Moog stuff. One question on Northerns website they were listed as Moog/problem solvers, is that just Moog or is it a lesser quality Moog(one of those made by *** for Moog things?)? Looks like i will be going to Motor Parts Central (the walk in store for Northern Auto Parts), plus they are all car guys, and one of the employees restored a 66 Baracuda a couple years ago, so they know there stuff.

The problem solver Moog is the real deal, they just have an udated version that works better the original OEM parts.

-
Back