Spring relocation.

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Heres a recap on yesterday.

I started by jacking the car up nice and high.

I unbolted the shocks and drive shaft.

Next came the E-brake cables. I had to undo all the rear brakes to get them out. Not thinking that I had my camera with me I didnt think to take a picture so I could figure out how they go back together :scratch:
After the brake were apart I bolted the old tires and rims back on.

Next was the brake line. #0 years old and it came right apart. :shock:

I unbolted the rear shacles and let the rear down and removed the floor jack.

All that was left were the front hanger brackets. I unbolted them and pull the entire rear out from the car.

I had just replace the springs a few years ago so I didnt have to fight with anything.

IM000956.jpg

Yes I know I need to straightnen the mufflers.

Next up was to drop the tail pipes. They wont wok with the springs moved in so they need to come out.

With those out of the way I removed the gas tank.

It turns out it was only leaking from the sending unit but the tank looked like it was beaten with a hammer. HARD!

After the tank was out I cut the spare tire well out. It will be replaced with flat sheetmetal so I can mount the cell on top.

IM000957.jpg

IM000958.jpg

Next up was to remove what was left of a trailor hitch. I spent about a half an hour cutting threw the welds on them. They had to be removed to mount the tubes for the rear shackles.

With those out of the way I could drill the 1" holes for the chackle tubes and weld those in.

Didnt get anything done today other then drop the rest of the exhaust down. I'll get more pictures tomarrow.

lookin good! i just pulled my tank out last weekend,tomarrow. im cutting out the trunk floor,an start thinking about the drop cage im making for the new cell,as soon as thats done an my fuel stuff is done im,gonna do the relo kit as well,tonight im pulling out my dads 8 3/4 from the duster,an im ordering a new pinon yoke,that one is wasted!so ill be right behind ya Adam

I would wait till you are going to do the relocation to do the cell. Its alot easier to do the rear shackel mounts with the hole in the floor.

im only putting the cell in to get the car running an out of the drive way,i can always pull all that stuff back out,not a problem

Take Lots of pictures. Looks like I'll be doing the relocation too, since I have some holes in my spare tire well & rotten exhaust, as well as other body work to do. Maybe I'll swap a dana for the wimpy rear I have.

Cuda66 My Trunk floor wasnt looking pretty either. Rotted around the fuel tank straps. I was waiting for the tank to fall out. :mrgreen:

I hope to have the rear back together today but I dont think ity will all be done.

Oh wait its only saterday. Maybe it will be done this weekend :scratch:

Aren't you doing mini-tubs too? Seems like this would be the perfect time for it. :twisted:

Brett its pretty scary. Cutting the frame rails was the worse part.

Evil Im gonna see if these tires will fit without mini tubbing it. hey have a13" section width so its gon be close. If they dont fit then more cutting on the way. Im trying to keep my back seat and if I have to tub it its gone.

Well here todays progress. Not much but some.

Fist thing I had to do was drill out the spot welds for the e-brake cable bracket. Spent 30 mins. looking fo rthe drill.

Then it was on to the scary part. Notching the frame rails. I clamoed the new boxes next to the rail and sribe aline. Then it was sazall time. I cut under the line so if it wasnt straight I cut straighten it out with out removing to much metal

IM000962.jpg

Once the box fit snug in the frame rail I clamped it in and bolted the old front spring mount back in. Then I took a drift pin and ran it threw bolth mounts to make sure they lined up.

IM000959.jpg

IM000961.jpg

The rear part was easy. Just open up the hole that already in the rear frame rails to 1" and weld in the tube for the bushings.

IM000968.jpg

After that was all done I spent some time cleaning up the floor pans and sprayed them down with some 3M undercoating.

IM000970.jpg

I also got my batery kill switch mounted up.

IM000974.jpg

So its coming along. Hopefully tomarrow I'll beable to bolt the rear back in and start on the fuel system. :cheers:

Now I feel like going to find a /6 beater so I can try that :D I did tell my nephew that I'd find him a car to work on since he's taking auto tech in high school, we could make it a joint project so I can play with it too :geek:

I'll tell you. Its alot more work then I thought it would be but Its not so bad aslong as you take your time. And remember, its easier to remove more metal then to put metal back on !

u gonna use Comp. pre fab cages?im going to get there 8 pt cage for the next big project after the relo kit is done :scratch:

Hey Adam.....never mind cutting up the car. What I want to know is how you joined the list 35 yrs. ago, and your only 26?
:shock:

FASTBACK340 said:
Hey Adam.....never mind cutting up the car. What I want to know is how you joined the list 35 yrs. ago, and your only 26?
:shock:

Fastback. No clue how that happend. I wasnt even born yet.

THEWHITEZOMBIE said:
u gonna use Comp. pre fab cages?im going to get there 8 pt cage for the next big project after the relo kit is done :scratch:

Im gonna get the kit From S&W racecars.

You have more guts than me. I hope to do that someday, but rather have someone that has already done it help guide me as my wife would KILL me if I messed up her dart. :shock:

looking good :thumleft:

Look at you go. Doing a great job Adam.
It would scare the ell out of me to attempt what your doing. :salut: :salut: :salut:

newguy said:
You have more guts than me. I hope to do that someday, but rather have someone that has already done it help guide me as my wife would KILL me if I messed up her dart. :shock:

looking good :thumleft:

Buy a cheap car and start hacking on it!
The best way to learn is by diving in and just doing it! :thumleft:
That's why i said get a cheap car,so if you F@#K it up it doesn't matter.

Fastback340, John Now thats FUNNY!!!! :king:
Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:19 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

`68 Barracuda 360/6Bbl/4Spd/4:10SG
(O= X =O)

My Wife's reaction upon learning I had us registered with Jegs for our wedding gifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back