SS Slant Six Dart

-
they didnt want the hood folding in half when someone closes it, nor did they want the harmonics from the wind turning the hood into a musical instrument while flying down the freeway....

yea i got that lol... will see i might put a aluminum strap under it if its out of control lol

ok well i made big head way today!!

still have to start the "chimney" thing to seal the plate to the hood but other wise on 90% there!

Also ordering slicks and holley blue pump this next week

Attachments

• 100_4553.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 681
  • 100_4555.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 674
  • 100_4556.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 659
  • 100_4557.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 665
  • 100_4558.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 650
  • 100_4562.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 655
I tried ram air once, got big 6'' metal flex tube and routed it to an old lincoln air cleaner I had from a '64-'5, it seemed to work at speed, however...when I would come to a stop...so would most of the air coming in, so the car would occasionally stall or get rough from the richness 'by checking plugs' I tuned in for the ram air..in otherwords I originally had tuned to the rich side

I drilled holes in the base lid of the air cleaner, that helped a lil.

fwiw

I tried ram air once, got big 6'' metal flex tube and routed it to an old lincoln air cleaner I had from a '64-'5, it seemed to work at speed, however...when I would come to a stop...so would most of the air coming in, so the car would occasionally stall or get rough from the richness 'by checking plugs' I tuned in for the ram air..in otherwords I originally had tuned to the rich side

I drilled holes in the base lid of the air cleaner, that helped a lil.

fwiw

do you think that could have been from so small of a "runner" volume??

i.e. your tube was to small and was restricting when air wasn't being pushed thru it??

I will find a pic of the sir cleaner, I think the design and the tune was not jiving.
it was a closed/silenced with a horizontal pill shaped breather.

Not to hyjack...... but I found some old pics of my dart and that air cleaner along with the before and after of receiving the wrecked car and then fixing it.
notice the MP header...and sorry, no pic scanner.

I miss that car....a lot of good times in that thing..

Attachments

• Photo 1039.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 639
  • Photo 1040.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 648
  • Photo 1038.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 639
  • Photo 1037.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 642
  • Photo 1036.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 637
  • Photo 1035.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 637
  • Photo 1041.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 634
  • Photo 1042.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 644
  • Photo 1043.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 637
I will find a pic of the sir cleaner, I think the design and the tune was not jiving.
it was a closed/silenced with a horizontal pill shaped breather.

Not to hyjack...... but I found some old pics of my dart and that air cleaner along with the before and after of receiving the wrecked car and then fixing it.
notice the MP header...and sorry, no pic scanner.

thats cool Justin! yea see i made that plate which will seal against a tube that will be riveted to the hood aluminum...

thats cool Justin! yea see i made that plate which will seal against a tube that will be riveted to the hood aluminum...

That should work better than what I had, I was like 17 when I had tried the ram air bit so...I didnt really know what I was doing.LOL
I was sand papering rods on carters and fiddling enriching valves on Roachester 2g's trying to find what works for my cam'd slanted peanut.
I was about 15-16yrs old when I got that swinger for a dollar, wrecked and with a frozen motor..

That should work better than what I had, I was like 17 when I had tried the ram air bit so...I didnt really know what I was doing.LOL
I was sand papering rods on carters and fiddling enriching valves on Roachester 2g's trying to find what works for my cam'd slanted peanut.
I was about 15-16yrs old when I got that swinger for a dollar, wrecked and with a frozen motor..

lol one dollar... wow... but hey! look where you are now!

ok well got the cold air box finished today! im glad thats done cuz it was a pain!

heres the pics

Attachments

• 100_4574.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 648
  • 100_4573.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 588
  • 100_4572.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 613
  • 100_4571.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 626
  • 100_4570.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 621
  • 100_4566.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 600
Looks like a REALLY FUN project!

oh it is!

and for the record the vents help tremendously with under hood temps!

normally when i drive it in 80 or so degree weather it takes less than 7 miles to hit 210...

now its 105 out and in the same distance barely got over 180!

i'll have to take it on some longer jogs but i think my over heating issue mite be fixed!

This is pretty wicked. Which Holley 600 is that? is the double pumper? I have heard so much speculation on carb sizes with modified /6's...

I ran a Holley 500 2bbl on mine for a while and that was way stronger than the Edelbrock 4bbl that was previously on it.

This is pretty wicked. Which Holley 600 is that? is the double pumper? I have heard so much speculation on carb sizes with modified /6's...

I ran a Holley 500 2bbl on mine for a while and that was way stronger than the Edelbrock 4bbl that was previously on it.

yea its a 600dp... i was running it @ 66 primaries and 74 secondaries and @ the track i picked up MPH up to a 70 primary jet

running a pv also...

I must say :thumbrig:=D>=D>
What an outstanding job you did 805moparkid =D>
The vented area will let the heat out and the / will love the cool fresh air.
You have a great /6 runner there man!!:burnout:
I see allot of time and good work dun and it will pay dividends on the street and at the track :rock:

I must say :thumbrig:=D>=D>
What an outstanding job you did 805moparkid =D>
The vented area will let the heat out and the / will love the cool fresh air.
You have a great /6 runner there man!!:burnout:
I see allot of time and good work dun and it will pay dividends on the street and at the track :rock:

i sure hope so because it was alot of work! lol

ordering the slicks this weekend!

ok so i ordered the slicks 28x9-15! also the tire pressure gauge so i can correctly set them (0-15psi)

then i bought everything from the sending unit to the carb from my boss for 3/8 line (NEW 3/8 steel line, carter electric pump,sending unit) for 175!

just need rims and i can test out the new setup!

after that test run its 4.88 gears and weight reduction! also going to soften up my leaf springs...

pics tomarrow

the line is overkill and will lose psi at the previous psi pumped, but you have a new higher psi pump it sounds like, so...

fwiw
I use 5/16 fuel line with 410 inches, which fed it fine over 6500 rpm.
Built 440 rev'n 6800=5/16 I built the motor for 68 dart
340 4spd hitting 7200 rpm=5/16 fuel line

Ill add all used stock fuel pumps too.

put your money where it will make + difference/power.jmo

the line is overkill and will lose psi at the previous psi pumped, but you have a new higher psi pump it sounds like, so...

fwiw
I use 5/16 fuel line with 410 inches, which fed it fine over 6500 rpm.
Built 440 rev'n 6800=5/16 I built the motor for 68 dart
340 4spd hitting 7200 rpm=5/16 fuel line

Ill add all used stock fuel pumps too.

put your money where it will make + difference/power.jmo

its just more insurance thing... i just want to make sure there is plenty of 100octane getting up there for the track!

i'll be deleting the stock mech pump BTW

i got my slicks today! wow are they big! 28x9-15!

i measured and they fit pretty snug so will see what the get rims to be mounted on lol...

worst case scenario i guess i'll have to finish the SS look and make the cut outs and then anything will fit lol

Attachments

• 0621111737.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 512
  • 0621111737a.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 525
-
Back