SS Slant Six Dart

-
the 68 will always be a street car...

i'll have the 3.91 chunk and picked up a 3.55 chunk for the long trips...

That was my plan too DUDE! Then I got to thinking about how heavy those things are,and me with M.S. Good luck lifting it in place I thought...

Cheapest solution I can come up with is 3:91 gear all the time,and an 833 o.d manual. EVERYTHING else is $3000 and up. Talk about an exclusive market. Basically you only get an aftermarket o.d gear and save money on gas if you already can afford the gas.

Assbackwards as usual.

That was my plan too DUDE! Then I got to thinking about how heavy those things are,and me with M.S. Good luck lifting it in place I thought...

Cheapest solution I can come up with is 3:91 gear all the time,and an 833 o.d manual. EVERYTHING else is $3000 and up. Talk about an exclusive market. Basically you only get an aftermarket o.d gear and save money on gas if you already can afford the gas.

Assbackwards as usual.

well if i could just drive the car i would leave the 3.91's in it...

BUT

being im a numbers chaser, i need the gear for the combo...im making power up to 6K and im only trapping @ 5000rpm i need more gear for the track...

Assbackwards as usual.

Here's something you could build (I'm an idiot, and I built this one, so I know you could do it with your eyes closed).

It just takes a Harbor Freight transmission jack and some 1/8"-thick steel plate and a couple of bolts (and a welder.)

I had a friend weld it up for me.

Now, the heaviest thing I have to lift, changing third members, is a half-inch drive ratchet handle.... to raise the chunk up to the housing. Fore and aft angle-"registration" is taken care of by that single bolt in the front. You can vary the angle of the axle-housing, side-to-side, to get the bolts to line up.

Cheap and easy to build...

Attachments

• 100_3326-1.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 508
  • 100_3334-1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 500
  • 100_3337-1.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 503
  • 100_3340-1.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 503
  • 100_3334.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 500
  • 100_3342-1.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 510
ok so today went thru hell trying to get some 8.75 gaskets... parts stores dont list them in the computer under normal cars so it was fun to say the least...

But

i did get the collector extensions welded up and painted... i made them 12" based off of the .org pic... i will test length and dia on another night...

Attachments

• 100_4868.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 482
  • 100_4881.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 491
ok so today went thru hell trying to get some 8.75 gaskets... parts stores dont list them in the computer under normal cars so it was fun to say the least...

But

i did get the collector extensions welded up and painted... i made them 12" based off of the .org pic... i will test length and dia on another night...

I guess silicone sealer works, in lieu of a gasket for this application. I've never tried it, but preople tell me it works fine....

Been sealing diffs for years with just RTV. never had an issue, everything from 8.75's to 9's to 9.25's to 9.75's not so much as a single drip.
I drove a '71 LTD 429CID with a spool in a 9 inch with stock axles not an issue other than eating tires like there was no tomorrow. David

Been sealing diffs for years with just RTV. never had an issue, everything from 8.75's to 9's to 9.25's to 9.75's not so much as a single drip.
I drove a '71 LTD 429CID with a spool in a 9 inch with stock axles not an issue other than eating tires like there was no tomorrow. David

:-kThanks for ALL that good information!!! We appreciate it!!!:-k

I am terribly sorry Bill for steeping on your toes. I didn't realize your second hand information was sufficient, and couldn't be backed up by another with actual experience. I have to say this is the first time I have been flamed for trying to prove someone correct. David

I am terribly sorry Bill for stepping on your toes. I didn't realize your second hand information was sufficient, and couldn't be backed up by another with actual experience. I have to say this is the first time I have been flamed for trying to prove someone correct. David

David... It was never my intention to flame anybody.

I was sincere when I wrote: "Thanks for ALL that good information!!! We appreciate it!!!"

I DO appreciate what you posted.

Did you think I was being sarcastic? I wasn't. That ain't me. Ask anyone on FABO...

When I say "Thank you, " I mean it. I had never talked to anyone who had actually USED RTV to seal a third member to a housing; Thanks to your information, I'll probably never have to buy a third member gasket again.

So, will you understand that I REALLY was sincere when I said "thanks"??? I was.... Nobody stepped on my toes... not at all.:pr:

I just realized that the emoticons I used when I wrote that note were on the "thinking" variety and maybe you thought I was doubtful of your information. That was not my intention at all; I apologize if that mistake on my part misled you.... I'm sorry.

you guys are funny....

anyways picked up the 4.88's and assembling today after work!

you guys are funny....

anyways picked up the 4.88's and assembling today after work!

That's going to help your 60-foot time and through the middle. Let us know when you have had a chance to test it; I'm going to be curious about the help to your "short time." A worthwhile change, for sure...

You go, guy!!!!:cheers:

Good for you young gun! Im real glad to see such enthusiasm in spite of this hobbies horrible expense. And I wish you were here with me. I need your help!

That's going to help your 60-foot time and through the middle. Let us know when you have had a chance to test it; I'm going to be curious about the help to your "short time." A worthwhile change, for sure...

You go, guy!!!!:cheers:

well sunday is a nostalgia event at the local track so thats the day!... as long as it doesn't rain out... again

Good for you young gun! Im real glad to see such enthusiasm in spite of this hobbies horrible expense. And I wish you were here with me. I need your help!

thanks

and as my HS Auto shop teacher used to say...

"Sorry, im not a brain surgeon!"

Attachments

• 1202111659.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 436
Bill forgive me. I'm working very long hours on a night shift ( not the best excuse lol) and I took your post the wrong way.
805, Sorry to interrupt your thread. You are doing great work, and I'm following it intently. Keep it up Bro. David

Bill forgive me. I'm working very long hours on a night shift ( not the best excuse lol) and I took your post the wrong way.
805, Sorry to interrupt your thread. You are doing great work, and I'm following it intently. Keep it up Bro. David

Hey, no problem, David! I should be more selective when I choose the emoticons to adorn my messages! My bad...

Have a great weekend!!!:blob:

well sunday is a nostalgia event at the local track so thats the day!... as long as it doesn't rain out... again

thanks

and as my HS Auto shop teacher used to say...

"Sorry, im not a brain surgeon!"

lookin good!

lol no worries...

lookin good!

yea i cant wait to drive the beast tonite! gonna get some vid and seat time with the spool before track day...

well it was a good and bad day! i got the 4.88's in and it drove great! a little noisy but no big...

the car was shooting ducks from the top of every gear (5400-)

so second pass i only reved to 5400 and upped the jets 2 and made it worse so i think my little carter pump is getting the heave ho for a holley blue and regulator...

but here are the times and pics...
1.91 60
5.73 330'
8.98 1/8 ET
75.5 1/8 MPH
14.25 1/4 ET
91.8 1/4 MPH

P.S. check out the front end on the last two pics...

Attachments

• 100_4905.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 413
  • 100_4906.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 402
  • 100_4907.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 422
  • 100_4909.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 404
  • 100_4910.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 402
  • 100_4911.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 407
Great job!
Personally.I thought that your 4.88's were going to kill your mph and I thought your 60 ft would be better...
You proved me wrong on the mph.You are chipping away at your time consistently.
Great job and can not wait for your next improvement,
Time to change your signature with your new time!!!
13's are around the corner !!!

well it was a good and bad day! i got the 4.88's in and it drove great! a little noisy but no big...

the car was shooting ducks from the top of every gear (5400-)

so second pass i only reved to 5400 and upped the jets 2 and made it worse so i think my little carter pump is getting the heave ho for a holley blue and regulator...

but here are the times and pics...
1.91 60
5.73 330'
8.98 1/8 ET
75.5 1/8 MPH
14.25 1/4 ET
91.8 1/4 MPH

P.S. check out the front end on the last two pics...

I think that's a really good 60-foot time for your mph and e.t., and yes, I realize that with the engine not running up to its potential, (due to "shooting ducks")your quarter mile times (and most incremental times) weren't as fast as they should and, will be.

Your efforts are paying off and are getting the chassis sorted out to the point that when and if you ever put some significantly greater horsepower in that car, it's gonna really fly...

I think you know what I mean....

:wack:

Attachments

• slantsixfred5.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 404
Thanks Bill for that labour saver! I will for sure end up making something like that. I really like the fact one can adjust the angle of the whole machined face when you get it close to the axle. That bolt up top is a great touch!

-
Back