Steering column troubles.

-

Shnarz

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 1974 Duster and somehow the key broke off in the ignition. Boo.. But I thought I'd take this opportunity to change the ignition and door locks to the same key since I bought the car used and they were different keys. Well, I took the steering wheel off, the turn signal switch was taken off, everything, but I can't get pull off the cylinder thing to get to the ignition switch (pic related; it's what I'm talking about) any help here guys? http://imgur.com/7CY9KDx

Been a long time but I believe theres a pin on the lock cilinder thats visible when you turn the key to the on position. push it in and the lock cilinder will come out.

Been a long time but I believe theres a pin on the lock cilinder thats visible when you turn the key to the on position. push it in and the lock cilinder will come out.

are you f******* with me....
Edit: That was a bit unnecessary, but I tried to no avail.

The pin you're looking for is nearly hidden by the wheel lock plate but you can work around the plate and push the pin. On a Ford and others the lock cylinder is rotated to ON position before pin will push. For Chrysler of this era the lock cylinder stay in locked position so the pin will push in.
If your lock cylinder is frozen on some other position so the pin doesn't push in,
You'll need to remove the wheel lock plate so a drill bit can get a straight shot at making the little pin disappear. Center punch that pin and drill it centered. If the drill bit walks it will cut pot metal instead of soft steel.
Have fun

-
Back