steering coupler problems.

-

gilberttitan08

Mexican Hillbilly!!!
Reaction score
So my steering coupler may be bad. The steering column has a lot of play and when I turn the wheel, the coupler does a loud knock, I see the column slip in the coupler. Is this fix able or should I buy a new one? What does the coupler do?

What year is your car? I'm guessing it is a shift on the column. When you shift through the gears the coupler moves is that the question?

The car is a 68 barracuda, its no longer a column shift (3 on the tree), it is now a 4 spd. No, when I turn the steering wheel, once it gets to its half way point, the column slips of the coupling, then causing a loud knock. And its a constant.

It could be the two nut's that hold the coupler to the column. One is accessible when you take your steering wheel off you will see one exposed, to get to the other you have to loosen turn signal switch.

What do you mean, the column slips of the coupling.

If you pull and push on your steering wheel, does it move ?

The coupling has a lot of play, I can 1/4 spin the coupling, when I turn the steering wheel you can see it slip out of place, I will put pictures up.

I bought the repair kit for $15 on ebay. I didn't even use the shoes in the kit since mine looked better. One tip is to re-use your sheet-metal gasket cover. I tried to use the new one and had to really force it on, cutting the new silicone gasket in the process. I later read that the original one fits better, at least on the early A's.

-
Back