Steering Coupler ?

-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I am changing my steering column in my 64 Valiant over to my Column from a 65 Barracuda and I ran into a problem. I can not get the steering coupler off the 64 column. The 65 column doesn't have one.

Just change over the whole shaft with the coupler included.

We tried the one thing I need is on the 64 column so we can put it in the 65 column. There isn't one on the 65 column at all.

What's keeping you from changing out the whole center shaft.....coupler and all?

It's fairly simple. Pull the steering wheel, remove the circlip around the center shaft, then tap the end of the shaft with a rubber (or leather or wooden) mallet. It should slide right out. Chances are the tube seal is bad too so now's a good time to change it. I've seen new repops on E-bay and at various swap meets.

If you are trying to swap the coupler from one shaft to the other and the coupler won't slide off there is probably a roll pin inside that is stopping it. Wipe some of the grime off that thing and you will see a small hole near the top of the coupler on one of the sides. Pop the top cap and grease seal off the top of the coupler and you can usually use a pair of channel locks to GENTLY push it out. No need to completely remove it just don't bugger it up.

It's fairly simple. Pull the steering wheel, remove the circlip around the center shaft, then tap the end of the shaft with a rubber (or leather or wooden) mallet. It should slide right out. Chances are the tube seal is bad too so now's a good time to change it. I've seen new repops on E-bay and at various swap meets.

Ok thanks. We will start on it now.

If you are trying to swap the coupler from one shaft to the other and the coupler won't slide off there is probably a roll pin inside that is stopping it. Wipe some of the grime off that thing and you will see a small hole near the top of the coupler on one of the sides. Pop the top cap and grease seal off the top of the coupler and you can usually use a pair of channel locks to GENTLY push it out. No need to completely remove it just don't bugger it up.

Ok we will try that first.

That's the one thing I like to avoid. Trying to get the retainer bail back around the rubber seal and crimped tight so it doesn't fall off is PITA. It's much easier to swap the whole shaft.

That's the one thing I like to avoid. Trying to get the retainer bail back around the rubber seal and crimped tight so it doesn't fall off is PITA. It's much easier to swap the whole shaft.

Yea it can be a chore, but looks like the seal is shot on his and needs to be replaced anyway.

Its just a rubber seal that keeps the grease in and crap out of the coupler. I don't think I've ever seen them for sale by themselves. Usually part of a coupler rebuild kit which includes all the pieces inside the coupler: cross shaft pin, two "shoes", spring clip that holds the "shoes" in position, roll pin, grease seal and retaining cap. I just got done rebuilding mine. Only hard part is bending the tabs on the retainer plate over the seal and coupler body. A vice to hold the coupler, a small punch and care will "get er done". Prices: $13 to $17 for a kit. I got mine from a vendor at Mopars at the Strip this year but you can find them on Ebag, swap meets, maybe your local dealership and probably autoparts stores. Do an online search for Mopar steering coupler and you'll get a bunch show up.

That's a universal flex coupler of some sort. No idea if you can use that for a conversion on your car. You shouldn't need one of those unless you need to offset the column to get around something in the way. The stock parts should work fine in most applications. Your '64 vintage couple is slightly different from the later couples so I don't think the common rebuild kits are going to work for you. All the internal parts are different than the ones in the later couplers. Your '64 coupler has flat sides. The '65 and newer couplers have bulged sides. The bail and seal are shaped accordingly so swapping them might not cover the opening completely. The internal shoes and spring are different too but you might be able to use them as one side has the same measurement. I've made a seal for the early couplers out of an inner tube before when I couldn't find one but even if your reuse yours, if you use some spray grease under the seal every once in a while, the joint should hold up ok. When you convert to power, you'll need to change the center shaft again because the manual shaft is too long. At that point, you may find that cutting and adapting one of those U-joint couplers might be the ticket. Either that or getting the correct P/S center shaft w/coupler.

We tried to get the shaft through the steering column cover and it was bigger than the hole my other column doesn't have one and it's the one I need.

The shaft comes out by sliding it from the wheel end to the box end so you have to remove the wheel and a circlip holding the shaft to the upper bearing.

Don't think that will work. Problem is attaching a coupler like that to the shaft. The shaft end is not splined at the coupler, looks like that coupler either uses a cross bolt (shaft would possibly have to be cut to correct length and drilled for the bolt) or it uses some set screws and jamb nuts which I wouldn't trust my life on. You stated you planned on going to power steering in the future. The shaft diameter and/or splines are different on a power steering box IIRC. Plus the shaft is shorter on a power steering column. Best bet would be keep what you got for now and then trade your manual shaft and coupler for a power shaft and coupler when you change over. Lots of guys here on FABO are looking for manual shafts to convert the other way.

I did a coupler conversion on my Barracuda to make room for headers but that particular set up is no longer available from the manufacturer. They do offer a Mopar coupler similar to the one you posted but I have no knowledge of the install. Check out Flaming River's site. A thread on my car and that coupling mod can be found at "El Mongrel" '65 Formula S Restomod if you want to take a gander.

Hopefully you have the rest of the coupler clamp parts. I don't see any in your photos. If yours is worn out (check it before you get too carried away) or you need another coupler and/or shaft for a conversion, you might want to keep an eye out here on FABO or E-bay for a whole column. I see them from time to time for reasonable prices.

CUDAMARK is right on the rebuild kit. I didn't look closely at your original pics and the '64 coupler is definitely different. Only place I can think of who might have parts or a kit would be Laysons..... god help you.

Rampon is that power steering you have on your Cuda? I just think I will go ahead and do the change over to power steering. I can cut my other column.

Hopefully you have the rest of the coupler clamp parts. I don't see any in your photos. If yours is worn out (check it before you get too carried away) or you need another coupler and/or shaft for a conversion, you might want to keep an eye out here on FABO or E-bay for a whole column. I see them from time to time for reasonable prices.

CUDAMARK is right on the rebuild kit. I didn't look closely at your original pics and the '64 coupler is definitely different. Only place I can think of who might have parts or a kit would be Laysons..... god help you.

I would have to say I will go forward with the power steering conversion,a lot easier. I guess I will need to find the cover to go over the end of the column cover underhood.

Rampon is that power steering you have on your Cuda? I just think I will go ahead and do the change over to power steering. I can cut my other column.

No, I went from power to manual and at the same time was trying to get clearance between the coupler and header. If you can I would do the swap now and save the headaches of doing it twice!

No, I went from power to manual and at the same time was trying to get clearance between the coupler and header. If you can I would do the swap now and save the headaches of doing it twice!

I am I just called a friend and talked to him. I am waiting for him to call back. Everything is off a 72 Dart /6 car. Then I can go to the next mod power brakes with drums brakes.

Nothing from a '72 model will bolt into your '64/5 except the steering gear and even there you may have to change fittings and/or custom build hoses depending on which pump you use.

-
Back