Steering is too responsive

-
Can you post the alignment specs when you get a chance......

Did anyone possibly over-adjust/tighten the steering box?

a5Z0DfMtGVW7vOXKTy4+0WKLZFiRb8VVZkY5H5BiANA5y6s1AAAA2KDWAAAAvYNaAwAA9A5qDQAA0DuoNQAAQO+g1gAAAL2DWgMAAPROg1pjGIZhGLasodYYhmEY1ruh1hiGYRjWu42aTwcAAAAAAACAmP8HInQzjm9GTDIAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

I tried 3 times to upload it but it will not upload

Yes that is the paper I gave to the shop. What they did only they know.

I think I am done with this thread.... But you guys go on........................................................

Edit
Sorry, I was thinking about a different thread. Please continue

From your description, I don't believe this is the case. You describe what sounds like a near dangerous condition? in the way it drives.

These WERE overboosted, but so were tons, scads, shiploads, millions of other cars on the road from the late 50's on into whenever maybe the 80's. Millions of people drove these billions of miles.

Hell my old 70 sixpack RR had PS from the factory and THAT THING has seen an honest 140 a "few" times, and it didn't go cutting back/ forth and off the road.

Maybe I misread you description, but "ultimate handling quality" does not seem to be your complaint? More, just keeping it comfortably on the road.

Just another thought.....

If your front end is all new, it will need a bit of break-in time/miles to loosen up. Make sure that the components have been properly greased.

What you're describing could actually be a binding/sticking feel of all the new parts.

Just another thought.....

If your front end is all new, it will need a bit of break-in time/miles to loosen up. Make sure that the components have been properly greased.

What you're describing could actually be a binding/sticking feel of all the new parts.

what?never heard that before.new front end does not need to be broke in to loosen up

71 duster 318

I recently rebuilt the front suspension and R/R the steering box.
now the slightest movement on the wheel and the car jumps to the left or right.

Ed

Yes, Mopar power steering is known as being 'over-assisted' i.e. you can steer with your pinkie finger, but it shouldn't be 'twitchy' like you're describing. Like 6pak says it might be the steering box adjustment is too tight, which is simple to check. Or the alignment needs more caster. Both of these things have happened to me. Not a fun way to drive!!

I'd hate for you to just accept this condition as normal when I don't believe it is....

Yes, Mopar power steering is known as being 'over-assisted' i.e. you can steer with your pinkie finger, but it shouldn't be 'twitchy' like you're describing. Like 6pak says it might be the steering box adjustment is too tight, which is simple to check. Or the alignment needs more caster. Both of these things have happened to me. Not a fun way to drive!!

I'd hate for you to just accept this condition as normal when I don't believe it is....

I will deal with it but I have other more pressing matters happening. A friend offered to come over to help me with this. I was given a rain check.

I will deal with it after I buy new tires, that will eliminate one factor from the equation.

x2

Your alignment specs could really help here. If you can't post a scan of them, type them out.

If you went for the track/auto-x setting with some toe out, that could be what you are feeling.

Low caster with toe out would be even worse.

Until you are more forthcoming with information, we all are just thrashing around in the dark. What 68Formula said is absolutely correct. Please read what I posted again and comment. While these cars might have been overboosted, they certainly were not "scary" to drive in original form. "Back when" parts of Oregon had 75 mph speed limits, my old RR saw speeds over 80 for sustained periods on one memorable trip on leave.

This is why I learned to do my own front end alignments. I have found that shops are not trustworthy. Worse, modern mechanics used to strut equipped vehicles just don't seem to understand "this old stuff."

I am working on a bunch of different projects at the house here. The Duster is only one of them. When I get the Duster finished (new tires is one of them) and the honeydo list finished I will have time to work on the steering.
I do appreciate all the comments and information. I will use it at the proper time and place.

I had the front suspension replaced, new steering box and a full alignment - There is a warranty on the parts and labor.
I just don't know which way is up, so bear with me

Take your time, I've fought this in the past as well. My issue was twitchy steering and was caused by wide tires in the front with too much camber and not enough toe in.
Just let us know what fixes it for you, nothing worse than having the same issue and reading to the end with no answers ;)

Take your time, I've fought this in the past as well. My issue was twitchy steering and was caused by wide tires in the front with too much camber and not enough toe in.
Just let us know what fixes it for you, nothing worse than having the same issue and reading to the end with no answers ;)

will do thanx

I am pretty sure I know why the steering is so touchy. There is nothing that can be done about it,

I had to replace the 16" steering wheel with a 13.5" steering wheel. At 13.5 moving the wheel 1' is comparable to moving the 16" wheel 11 inches or more.
I guess that is physics and nothing can be done to change it

Where is your caster? If it has too much, that can greatly effect how the car steers and can cause exactly what you describe. Although it would be rare for an A body to have too much caster, it is a possibility. It can almost give the feeling that the car is going to "tip over" as you begin to turn. It can make the steering very touchy. I don't think the steering wheel has a thing to do with it. JMO.

It's called a Steering Dampener, and you only see them on 4x4's (usually aftermarket), they're a bandaid for other steering problems such as a large amount of lift without a Drop Pitman Arm, poor angles, etc. I have 6" of lift on my D50 with 40" tires and never bothered with a Dampener, wasn't needed with the appropriate setup and Crossover Steering.

If the Power Steering Pump is putting out too much pressure, it will cause the steering to be Overpowered/Too Responsive (a very common issue on 60's/70's mopars) Google this : "mopar action pump it down" for info on how to lower the pressure

X2^ or some call it a steering stabilizer. Helps keep steering wheel straight when going over large pot holes and ruts. Suppose to help keep the steering wheel from yanking out of your hand if you hit a rut. Ie usually used on lifted 4x4 s

What you describe is NOT normal... my '70 Duster was not as bad as you say back when I first got it with a very worn out front end and steering box.

I think you got a crappy steering box honestly, from what I've read about rebuilt/reman'd boxes it's highly likely as it is a delicate and complicated operation to perform. IMO the only way to know you got a quality rebuilt one is to get it from Firm Feel

EDIT: It's also likely your shop messed up the alignment each time I've gotten it done I watch the readout screens as the guy adjusts things and double-check the results afterwards

What I am trying to get across is the way the power steering feels to me. I am pretty sure it is personal taste and not mechanical. I was looking for a way to adjust it to my personal taste. It may be that my original Duster did not have power steering and that is what I am expecting.

On a personal note: If my hands get any worse, I may be grateful the steering is so easy.

-
Back