still trouble with 2-3 shift

-

fastback383

Reaction score
I went in there today and changed the 5.0 kickdown to the 3.8. After 2 hours of crawing in trans fluid it does exactly the same thing ? NO different. I wonder if there is a problem with the valve body ? Once in 3rd it is fine. It stops the rear wheels dead for a split second then away they go moving again. The slower you are when you shift the harder it seems to lock up.I am starting to get pi$$ed off with this. The darn motor runs so good, I guess I had to have a problem somewhere. I guess next step is to change the valve body and see if that cures it. fastback 383.

Have you actually driven the car or are you just observing this on jackstands? If you haven't driven it I would suggest you do so before you pull your hair out any further. There may not be anything wrong with this at all.

Hey Guitar. I have not driven it since I put the 3.8 in. But I did drive it with the 5.0. That is how I knew something was up. It make a heck of a clunk when going into 3rd.So I jacked it up to have a look. The tires stop dead for a split second, I am worried about breaking some teeth off the ring gear or destroying the trans. Do you think there is something wrong with the valve body ? I bought it off of someone on Bigblockdart. It looked new and unused when it came. The box was opened up though, is there supposed to be any ball bearings that have to be put in, like between the valve body and trans case or anything like that ? Because I just bolted it on, I did not see any extra parts anywhere, and I am not sure if I got all the paperwork. Might be looking to buy a shift kit to put in the stock valve body. But I do not want to use all that passing gear crap. That is why I wanted the full manual. Anyways, I am going on holidays for a week. So if I do not get back to you guys it is because I am not here ! I will wave on my way bye Guitar, going to Cuba on the 10th . If I see Castro I will kick him in the nut$ for ya ! Dave.

Well there are no check balls between the valvebody and the case.
Several things come to mind though. It could be in the valve body, possibly this is an older DC conversion valvebody that needs the accumulator bore vented at the top, you have somewhere that the fluid is leaking by and applying something it's not supposed to or the band is not releasing properly.

I would put a different valvebody in first to see if that cures the problem, if not I'd probably pull the trans and take it apart for inspection.

-
Back