Stock .318 upgrade!

-
Stock cam? You'll feel about the same results with each one.
Just make sure you've got your throttle and kickdown hooked up right and functioning correctly.

which ever is cheaper. without any other changes you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference between the two.

Fully factory, .318.
Please, this is a .318:
1722724740960.png

This is a 318:
1722724822965.png

If I was speaking of a .318 Westley Richards, I would have said so. I don’t think 2 out of 100 would be confused about my question, nor would this forum be the place to talk gun caliber. Please?

I have a question for you all! Edelbrock performer, with Edelbrock 500cfm, or Holley street dominator with a Holley 570CFM?? For my .318 thanks..
Edelbrock Performer with the Holley 570.
Though I myself would use a 600 cfm carb.
An Edelbrock or a Holley 600 will perform the same at this level.

.318 is also about 1/3 of a single cubic inch.
Mighty small engine for those intakes.

It doesn’t but I’m curious! Tell me more!
most aftermarket intake manifolds don't have provisions for mounting the AC brackets. as well as coils, and some don't have choke wells, FIY.

the performer is probably the "best" aftermarket choice in terms of taking off a 2bbl and snapping on a 4bbl in terms of fit, match and ease of install.

a stock 4bbl 318 or 360 or even a 340 intake would be a fantastic choice as well. doing basically the same thing, but not looking cool and lightweight. although there'd be a bit a mismatch at the ports, it's inconsequential.

I've never had luck with Holley carbs.
Though haven't had one newer than about 35 years old either. I cringed when my kid bought one for a 440 he had a few years ago, but surprisingly that one worked great. I think it was a Street avenger not sure. Those weren't thought of yet when I experimented with them.
I know I won't take another 1850 model Holley for free...

I've never had luck with Holley carbs.
Though haven't had one newer than about 35 years old either. I cringed when my kid bought one for a 440 he had a few years ago, but surprisingly that one worked great. I think it was a Street avenger not sure. Those weren't thought of yet when I experimented with them.
I know I won't take another 1850 model Holley for free...
1850 is a pos rather have the stock carb then that
Ran 1 of those for 10 min and took it off
3310 not much better
If you run Holleys its dp or don't bother
imo

I agree, I have had way better luck with Edelbrock these days. There are still many Holley ride or die people out there. Thought I might be missing something!

What year 318? If it’s an early higher compression 318 it’ll want a bigger carb. If it’s a smogger stick with a 600ish carb as there won’t be a huge difference. My 70 318 has a performer, 3310 Holley, adjustable 273 rockers, and a comp 268 and it runs (well it ran, it’s coming out and going to a friend) hard for what it is.

I have a modified 1850, that once got over 30 mpg on my 367,
geared 65= 1600/ 85=2100. The Primaries worked awesome. At the end of the day tho, having reached my destination, I bolted the 750DP back on.

FYI
I have run the bigger Thermoquad on more than one totally stock long-block .318, to good effect. Well not totally stock, I ran one with Long-tube headers and full-length 3" dual-exhaust, lol..
With just a few adjustments, it ran great.

I do plan on more upgrades as I go. I have a BBody big block 440, so not looking to totally loose my fuel mileage, but I thought the carb and intake was a good place to start. It’s currently a 2bbl.

-
Back