Stock 340 dyno tests?

-
The popular small block factory stock engines were yanked from their engine bays & dyno tested to see if they actually made the advertised hp. Only one engine did: the 340. In fact it made 20 hp more [ 295 hp ] than the adv 275 hp. All the others made less hp.
The results were published in the Feb 1969 issue of PHR magazine.
Engine, adv hp, measured hp:
Olds 350 W-31, 325, 280
Pontiac 350 HO, 325, 255
Chev 350, 300, 240
Ford 351, 290, 210.

This is what the writer said: "But we didn't look for close to 300 honest hp with no special tuning at all. What was just as remasrkable is that this engine has good mid-range torque & a pretty smooth smooth, flexible bottom end. It's not a lumpy, high strung engine that's hard to drive on the street. And, to top it, the 340 would would rev up to 6500 rpm right now with the hyd lifters without a whisper of valve float or ignition miss......Chrysler engineers have obviously got a beautiful combination of valve & port size, camshaft & carburetion here. The Chrysler 340 is perhaps the best high performance combination in the industry today."

RPM, he said it, start turning that 340 up to 6500, 7500 and up you’ll see some numbers. Pitiful numbers at 5000

Turn a stock 340 dinky cammed at 6500 rpm... good luck with that making any power. They are dead at 5300-5500 Just beacuse it will spin there doesn't mean you should.

Maybe when the stock elim engine builder gets done with it and it is FAR from stock.

We are talking about stock builds not NHRA stock eliminator mills.

Turn a stock 340 dinky cammed at 6500 rpm... good luck with that making any power. They are dead at 5300-5500 Just beacuse it will spin there doesn't mean you should.

Maybe when the stock elim engine builder gets done with it and it is FAR from stock.

yup 6100 is valve float stock
not making power there stock
the hi perf red stripe springs@6500 big no no

Turn a stock 340 dinky cammed at 6500 rpm... good luck with that.

Same thing stock parts, there are no secret parts in a stocker engine, my 68 Dart GTS (in 1970) could turn 6500 (Sun tach) all day long (did go 7 one time but had valve float). A few ran great but most where dogs,

Same thing stock parts, there are no secret parts in a stocker engine, my 68 Dart GTS (in 1970) could turn 6500 (Sun tach) all day long (did go 7 one time but had valve float). A few ran great but most where dogs

Sure there aren't. The cylinder heads alone have plenty of "secrets" in them. Offset grinding cranks to the max tolerance, nope nothing special. Camshafts with loads of duration and limited lift that exceeds the OEM stick by a bunch. Where should I stop.

Ever have to go through a stack of 400-800 rod assemblies looking for good matched up sets that were on the long side? Ahhh the good ol days.

Stock elim is so off track from reality of a OEM engine. Carry on with it.

LOL…too funny. And absolutely true.

My first car was a 72 Demon 340 4 speed. Is only been driving a few weeks and all my friends and I (we had the experience of exactly ZERO with anything except trying to get the girls in the car) had convinced ourselves that this thing was turning 7500!!!

I told my dad what I thought and he said you are all full of ****. You’ll be lucky if it’s turning 5500 and that’s a stretch.

The next day I skipped a class and ran to the local speed shop (you could do that in 1980) and snagged a tach. Wired it up in shop.

And the disappointment was staggering. 5100 and that was it.

That was all she had.

I seriously considered taking the tach out because it hurt my pride a bit but I sucked it up and left it in there.

LOL…too funny. And absolutely true.

My first car was a 72 Demon 340 4 speed. Is only been driving a few weeks and all my friends and I (we had the experience of exactly ZERO with anything except trying to get the girls in the car) had convinced ourselves that this thing was turning 7500!!!

I told my dad what I thought and he said you are all full of ****. You’ll be lucky if it’s turning 5500 and that’s a stretch.

The next day I skipped a class and ran to the local speed shop (you could do that in 1980) and snagged a tach. Wired it up in shop.

And the disappointment was staggering. 5100 and that was it.

That was all she had.

I seriously considered taking the tach out because it hurt my pride a bit but I sucked it up and left it in there.
The thing was revving like it was going to come through the hood!

Look up 340 Dyno on Nick's garage. Plenty there to get a feel for what they do. Richard holdener also did a six pack test that was fairly faithful to the original.

Like the 273's. You hear a lot of "rev's to 7500" but when you ask if there was a tach involved................................crickets! :rofl:

Look up 340 Dyno on Nick's garage. Plenty there to get a feel for what they do. Richard holdener also did a six pack test that was fairly faithful to the original.
I think Nick got 340 or 345 HP out of the "Stock 340" dyno test. I do think I saw one where he got 400 Horse out of a 340 also, but that one was modded. I think that one was called "340 Dyno power challenge" I do believe with tuning one could get over 300 horse from a stock 340. Add cam, and exhaust etc. even more. This is what some don't realize you could buy the 340 a body new, take it to a tune up shop and have a street ripper fairly affordably in 1970-71 etc.

LOL…exactly. Even at that age I was big into RPM so I was crushed. The GF just couldn’t understand it.

She was gone a short time later.
It took you too long to put a solid, springs and adjustable arms in, maybe you could have kept the girl.
But then again, I doubt that was the only reason she left your ***. lol :D

It took you too long to put a solid, springs and adjustable arms in, maybe you could have kept the girl.
But then again, I doubt that was the only reason she left your ***. lol :D

LOL…that’s a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG story that includes a trip to Canada, a bunch of Canadian beer and a party for the ages. I heard at the 40th reunion of my class that trip still came up. It was a **** show and almost cost a couple of teachers their jobs.

I know what a non-stock 340 can do. So what.

I watched the dyno needle go over 600 horsepower with Dad's T/A blocked 357ci/340 back in the NASCAR 1970's. But it sure wasn't factory stock as Cale Yarborough couldn't pass it on the back straight at Riverside.

I've seen one person reference a factory stock 340 dyno test. <300 HP.

Some reference rebuilt/blueprinted 340 engines........but........so far........

Nothing factual matches the wild imagination of massive factory stock 340 horsepower.

I think. I wish. My butt dyno says......... Drummer Dinwiddie told me that his......... My neighbor Mr. Swartzenickle had one that......... An old engineer said.....

If we are talking stock, then race prepped and modded is out of the conversation. Not everyone is racing. Some here are restoring these cars to day 2 condition or even day 1. Nicks garage was mentioned because he has a dyno and puts the results out on the web. I wish I had a dyno I don't. my garage is a small detached "Normal garage" that is on an average normal property not a professional auto shop. Poor me LOL!

The 4 speeds were quicker through 2 gears where most races were won. Still the 340's reputation for
outperforming big blocks was based on fact. Not all of them but there were a few around that just had everything
right. Guys would say "that car shouldn't be that fast"! Maybe closely balanced and matched components, nice square decks etc.from the factory by chance and well tuned...That's the one that everybody remembers if you lived through the era..i did. I knew of a lot of 340's back in the day, but really only 2 in particular took no prisoners.

I think Nick got 340 or 345 HP out of the "Stock 340" dyno test. I do think I saw one where he got 400 Horse out of a 340 also, but that one was modded. I think that one was called "340 Dyno power challenge" I do believe with tuning one could get over 300 horse from a stock 340. Add cam, and exhaust etc. even more. This is what some don't realize you could buy the 340 a body new, take it to a tune up shop and have a street ripper fairly affordably in 1970-71 etc.
nick dyno another 340 525 lift healthy cam no specs 750 dp air gap 10.6 to 1 headers eddy heads promised the guy 400 hp
stuck at 398 hp shimmed the rockers 402 hp

nick dyno another 340 525 lift healthy cam no specs 750 dp air gap 10.6 to 1 headers eddy heads promised the guy 400 hp
stuck at 398 hp shimmed the rockers 402 hp
That rocker shimming is a good trick to have in the bag :)

Nick? who is Nick never heard of him

All I will add is I ran 14.20’s with my stock 1972 (340) 4 speed duster with 3.91 gears. Self tuned by a 19 year old punk. Suck azz street tires

All I will add is I ran 14.20’s with my stock 1972 (340) 4 speed duster with 3.91 gears. Self tuned by a 19 year old punk. Suck azz street tires
Not bad considering my Bone stock 86 Fox body runs 15s LOL! Its nice to know I will more than likely easily get more out of my 340 Swinger when I get it back on the road...:)

If we are talking stock, then race prepped and modded is out of the conversation. Not everyone is racing. Some here are restoring these cars to day 2 condition or even day 1. Nicks garage was mentioned because he has a dyno and puts the results out on the web. I wish I had a dyno I don't. my garage is a small detached "Normal garage" that is on an average normal property not a professional auto shop. Poor me LOL!
I mentioned Nick, because his Dyno seems conservative and realistic. Not puffy bullshit numbers but real.

-
Back