Stock 440 Hp?

-

olddog12

Reaction score
Ive got what I believe is a stock 1973 440 engine, this is the number on the heads 3462346. Without getting into headers, carb and other stuff, what does something like this make for Hp stock?
The reason I ask is Ive been told its really not worth putting in my Scamp "as is" without doing a lot of work to it (which I dont really want to do) and then its still a heavy engine. Im not looking for quick ET times but want a decent power, nice sounding, sit ya back in yer seat kinda engine to go to Tim Hortons for a coffee on sundays.

A stock 440 in an A body? I would have to guess it would run really good, for what you are wanting.

I had a Chrysler 300 back in the late 70's with a 440 in it, and it would flat out fly, and that's a bigger heavier car.

In a lightweight A body, well......

Awesome guys, thanks. Guess I can continue with my plan then! :burnout:

Im gonna have to start a build thread soon for all the questions im gonna have lol

Yeah, you may have a bunch of questions. I've never put a big block in an A body, but I've heard it can test your patience.

On a side note, it probably wouldn't take much to get stock 440HP out of a smallblock either.

Ive got what I believe is a stock 1973 440 engine, this is the number on the heads 3462346. Without getting into headers, carb and other stuff, what does something like this make for Hp stock?
The reason I ask is Ive been told its really not worth putting in my Scamp "as is" without doing a lot of work to it (which I dont really want to do) and then its still a heavy engine. Im not looking for quick ET times but want a decent power, nice sounding, sit ya back in yer seat kinda engine to go to Tim Hortons for a coffee on sundays.

At the Flywheel >

A 1973 440 is going to put out 325 Horsepower.

true, bruce. but once he goes over to the big block dark side he will never go back.

27265931.jpg

I can live with 325 at the flywheel. Since the 440, 727 trans and 8 3/4 all came with the car when I bought it I may as well use it. I may put a cam in it before it goes in the car because Im gonna pull it apart anyway before it goes in the car, It also came with a gasket kit. Can someone tell what oil pan I will need for it?

Thanks for the info guys!

I have a 383/727/4:10 in a '72 Scamp with TTI's and it is tight, tight, tight but it soooo much fun, fun, fun. I had cast iron exhaust manifolds on in the beginning and they sucked. Go ahead, do it , have fun. If you need help, post on forum. Shumacher mounts work great. Tom

I picked up the Schumacher kit for my 440 install with the headers, Quality is great, will be installing it this winter.

I put a bone stock 1975 440 from a new yorker in my 1972 dart and it was scary! Going around a curvy dry road, you DONT want to nail the throttle as it will get sideways on you like you were on ice, and thats doing 45 mph! I pulled it back out and put some higher compression pistons in it and a cam and its even quicker now. Big Block darts are very fun!

-
Back