Stock Market

-
Yep, fire extra into TFSA (tax free savings account) and profits are nontaxable.
Good choice.
I'm trying to drain our RSP's before we hit 71 and have to convert them to RIF's and be mandated on withdrawals, all while paying less than 13% tax while doing so as we have no "income". Issue is... our funds don't seem to deplete, but I guess that's a good thing! LOL

The real goal is, if I we both kick the bucket in an airplane the "kids" will lose at minimum 52% to the grim reaper in Ottawa when they have to cash out our RSP accounts. Been there with my Mother and it wasn't pretty. I've been converting it to cars and paying the bills. The kids get the cars for a dollar and other valuable consideration with no tax ramifications if I get them in their names before the big day comes!

As for a TFSA, interest rates have sucked so much for years we never bothered.. since neither of us have had a pay cheque since 2006. Wife just filled Her's up last week, 95K at 5.25% in a GIC.

More money equals more taxes. When I rolled over my 401k, I was advised not to put much in the stock market because once your over 40 it's hard to recoup a huge loss. I put mine in a interest making ira and it's grown every year.
The good news is you'll save a fortune in taxes when the market tanks :)

You can hold most securities in a TFSA, I just take what I must from rif,move over to TFSA and hold whatever stk/fund I desire.

The good news is you'll save a fortune in taxes when the market tanks :)

I can't remember the exact number, but there have been more than a dozen market "crashes" since hmmm 1929, and mkt has always recovered and extended within 4ish months.
Google it, I used to know that .
Look at the chart I posted earlier, note how mkt recovered from donald's tea party.
As mentioned, the brokerages do have software to help protect you, if you have the discipline to use it .
Again. Ignorance is the biggest threat.
And fund managers looking for more commission.

When JPow broke the news before Christmas I threw every last uncommitted dime at a Webull type account my credit union is offering. I set up pretty diverse and it flatlined the second week of January. If it weren’t for those 4 shares of NVDA… I sold at $610 this week and bought some car parts! Was kinda seeking a dip today to sneak back in, NOPE!

Jeez I get a 1099 if I earn next to nothing! Sign me up for a TFSA.

When JPow broke the news before Christmas I threw every last uncommitted dime at a Webull type account my credit union is offering. I set up pretty diverse and it flatlined the second week of January. If it weren’t for those 4 shares of NVDA… I sold at $610 this week and bought some car parts! Was kinda seeking a dip today to sneak back in, NOPE!

Jeez I get a 1099 if I earn next to nothing! Sign me up for a TFSA.
Good job.
I remember NVDA was $300ish on Halloween, thru $600 now iirc.

Holy Crap !
ULTA up $70 after hours, no news .
I was wondering if it'd go back to $500 after it pulled back to $400 a coupla weeks ago .
$526 today .
Apple all time high .
The rise in ALTA stock is likely my wife!!..
B9909D2D-106A-4A23-9C05-3386985334E3.jpeg

Stock market at all time highs, S&P broke 5000 for first time.
18% of s&p at all time highs.
Absolutely zero%(0) of S&P, 500 stocks are at a low. None .
Almost unheard of.
Unemployment has not been this low since 1969ish.
Markets improvement is broadening. Not just tech .
We are actually getting interest on our Savings accounts now.
Bonds are highest in a decade, 5 yr bond near 5% .
Fed expected to start cutting interest rates by summer.
All great news.

If any of you can watch "The Half-time Show" on CNBC, Josh Brown has his head screwed on right, and gave a great rundown on our economy. His insight is unbiased, straight goods.
Today, his stats showed wages have actually exceeded inflation, he explained why it's taken so long.
If you're here, you should be able to watch it at the same time, or record, and blast thru keying on Josh, great guidance .

Not long ago the economy was locked-down, govt was feeding, clothing, sheltering mosta the whole population.
Now we're the strongest economy in the world .

I'm curious if any of you took the time to look into what your retirement funds are, and if any of you found you had been invested in a "dog" fund, and actually have less money than you invested, some have .
It's tax time, you're gonna be digging documents out, look at your investments.
Get the type of fund, what it's invested in, get a SYMBOL.
I can help you chart it, and compare to what you coulda/shoulda been in.

That stupid NVDA was $300ish last Halloween, bouncing off $800 now.
Bought some ANET and UBER on Josh recommendations, using a "stop-loss" already have a healthy profit locked in.
Questions/DM welcome
Cheers

Last edited:
How are unemployment rates figured? There are a lot of working age people around here doing nothing. Disabled deadbeats that can do anything I can enjoyment wise, but are on Medicaid and living good, a real burr in my ***. Guess my folks raised me wrong.

How are unemployment rates figured? There are a lot of working age people around here doing nothing. Disabled deadbeats that can do anything I can enjoyment wise, but are on Medicaid and living good, a real burr in my ***. Guess my folks raised me wrong.

That's a global issue.

Perhaps Voluntary euthanasia needs to be considered. Ala Soylent Green

Almost unheard of.
All great news.

If any of you can watch "The Half-time Show" on CNBC, Josh Brown has his head screwed on right, and gave a great rundown on our economy. His insight is unbiased, straight goods.
Today, his stats showed wages have actually exceeded inflation, he explained why it's taken so long.
If you're here, you should be able to watch it at the same time, or record, and blast thru keying on Josh, great guidance .

Not long ago the economy was locked-down, govt was feeding, clothing, sheltering mosta the whole population.

I'm curious if any of you took the time to look into what your retirement funds are, and if any of you found you had been invested in a "dog" fund, and actually have less money than you invested, some have .

Bought some ANET and UBER on Josh recommendations, using a "stop-loss" already have a healthy profit locked in.
Questions/DM welcome
Cheers
Three and a half years later those are trump fumes...
Bahahahahahahahaha

Our neighbor turned over about 6 years ago with families and teenage kids. And do you think my doors been knocked on once to get my lawn mowed??..
Actually you really never see one of them...

Guys on FBBO keep telling me "the sky is falling" and it's gonna crash.... what's that hun, you want another car? Okay...

Sooner or later the market WILL correct, but that's what you need to stay sharp on.

Almost unheard of.
All great news.

Questions/DM welcome
Cheers
No more real, than our freedoms.

Ala Soylent Green
Lol!

Since post 57 I bought and sold NVDA 2 more times! A little luck with LLY and BSX too and I’m up almost 17% on my little $7500 fun account since mid January! Retail investor not options.
I got yelled at for “round tripping” with some of my retirement funds. That’s like turning a Great Lakes oar (ore rather) boat around sometimes.
Happy hunting all…

Last edited:
Lol!

Since post 57 I bought and sold NVDA 2 more times! A little luck with LLY and BSX too and I’m up almost 17% on my little $7500 fun account since mid January! Retail investor not options.
I got yelled at for “round tripping” with some of my retirement funds. That’s like turning a Great Lakes oar boat around sometimes.
Happy hunting all…

Very awesome, good job .
If you don't use a "stop, or trailing-stop" pls consider asking your broker for a few quick instructions.
Or check the "education" section at your broker.
Really good job !

Almost unheard of.
All great news.

Questions/DM welcome
Cheers
I see that you failed to mention that inflation is still high. Saving accounts are still paying under 2%. Most c/d's are still below 4%. I did get a "special " interest rate on a cd, it's a 9 month special that's paying 4.92% and a minimum of a $5,000 deposit.

I see that you failed to mention that inflation is still high.
Sure it is, but it's the entire picture that really matters. Inflation rate vs the past year + on the stock market, inflation doesn't even dent it.

Did you go look at that car yet????

Sure it is, but it's the entire picture that really matters. Inflation rate vs the past year + on the stock market, inflation doesn't even dent it.

Did you go look at that car yet????
I sure did and a another let down

I see that you failed to mention that inflation is still high. Saving accounts are still paying under 2%. Most c/d's are still below 4%. I did get a "special " interest rate on a cd, it's a 9 month special that's paying 4.92% and a minimum of a $5,000 deposit.

Is that better or worse than a coupla years ago?

Last I saw, inflation was hovering at 2.9ish, the feds goal, so no more rate increases.

I'm more interested in Walmart and Visa with record sales, - less Visa late payments, the number of new vehicle delinquencies is way less than expected.
The consumer is spending
Despite high interest rates, home sales is outta sight .

Last edited:
When was the last time regular savings return was over 1%? .5%?

A decade or more?

With all the China restrictions, and them cutting back exports of nec minerals/rare-earths for chip making, I bought some of this Canadian miner, just because.
It's worked well so far.
This is in the grandkids college funds, long time hold.
Any trade you make is your decision, and yours alone .

Last edited:
-
Back