Stock Seats and Cage/harnesses question

-
This is exactly I didn't bother to elaborate. People like you form opinions and blindly follow a path of ignorance.

Enjoy your cage. I'm sure everyone will think it looks cool.

This is exactly I didn't bother to elaborate. People like you form opinions and blindly follow a path of ignorance.

Enjoy your cage. I'm sure everyone will think it looks cool.

that must be it eh? when my first comment was care to elaborate im sure you already know that im "ignorant"...i applaud you that you aren't and let me ask you since your such a genius, what do you recommend for street/strip cars that run 11.50 or faster and require a cage when they are at the tracl? or wait, the cage must be in there because it "looks cool"...thats probably what your thinking right now, young kid, thinks he's cool with a cage in his car, blah blah blah...you know what they say about those who assume, you make an *** out of you and me...merry christmas by the way!

Wow, some more misinformation here. First of all if you are running stock factory seats they do not need to be bolted to the crossbar. That is for aftermarket and fabricated seats. If you are running stock factory seats you don't have to cut the seat cushion for a crotch belt either, you can run it around the front of the seat, an aftermarket or fabbed seat has to go through the seat and be bolted to the floor on a centerline about mid chest of the driver. You will need to cut the seat back if you are using high back bucket seats for the shoulder harness to pass through. Check the stock eliminator rules.

As for the rear down bars you should make them as long as possible to reach back into the trunk (pass through the package shelf) and tie into the rear frame rails as far back as you can. This increases the rigidity of the chassis. I see so many cars with real short rear bars and these guys don't realize they could have done more to strengthen their chassis with very little extra effort. They are just straight pieces of tube so you can buy them seperately as long as you want then cut and fishmouth to fit. Or I'm sure if you call ART, S&W, Alston or whoever you can ask them to cut them longer for a very small additional charge.

You may want to read or google about it. I wouldn't let me wife or kids ride in a caged street car.

I read it on the interweb, it must be true!!

Let's see, Jeep Wranglers have roll bars, some convertibles too. I'm not sure what you're worried about but if you are going to make the statement you should be prepared to elaborate, otherwise you are just trolling.

If the car is that fast you shouldn't be toting around a bunch of people or kids in it anyway. So I'm sure there are some horror stories floating around about how someone would have survived a crash if the cage hadn't been in there but you know what? You can find examples like that with seat belts and air bags too. Should we not wear them? More often than not the car is going to be safer and more structurely sound with a bar or cage in it.

If you do a roll bar, get the rear bars like this if saving the rear seat.

4766143-33.jpg

4641091-9.jpg

You can still brace it all the way to the rear from the rear shock crossmember landing point area location.

It's a pain to climb around the monkey bars to get in the back seat reagardless of roll bar or full cage

Wow, some more misinformation here. First of all if you are running stock factory seats they do not need to be bolted to the crossbar. That is for aftermarket and fabricated seats. If you are running stock factory seats you don't have to cut the seat cushion for a crotch belt either, you can run it around the front of the seat, an aftermarket or fabbed seat has to go through the seat and be bolted to the floor on a centerline about mid chest of the driver. You will need to cut the seat back if you are using high back bucket seats for the shoulder harness to pass through. Check the stock eliminator rules.

As for the rear down bars you should make them as long as possible to reach back into the trunk (pass through the package shelf) and tie into the rear frame rails as far back as you can. This increases the rigidity of the chassis. I see so many cars with real short rear bars and these guys don't realize they could have done more to strengthen their chassis with very little extra effort. They are just straight pieces of tube so you can buy them seperately as long as you want then cut and fishmouth to fit. Or I'm sure if you call ART, S&W, Alston or whoever you can ask them to cut them longer for a very small additional charge.

I read it on the interweb, it must be true!!

Let's see, Jeep Wranglers have roll bars, some convertibles too. I'm not sure what you're worried about but if you are going to make the statement you should be prepared to elaborate, otherwise you are just trolling.

If the car is that fast you shouldn't be toting around a bunch of people or kids in it anyway. So I'm sure there are some horror stories floating around about how someone would have survived a crash if the cage hadn't been in there but you know what? You can find examples like that with seat belts and air bags too. Should we not wear them? More often than not the car is going to be safer and more structurely sound with a bar or cage in it.
local tech guy told me the seats need to be tied to the cage oem seats or not. this is just what i was told....besides even if the tech crew don't care, it just kind of makes sense to tie the seats back to the cage. ever had the seat hinges let loose while you were grabbing gears?? i have, was not exactly my idea of a good time....

Hey Guitarjones and crackedback,

Id definatly rather not bolt the seatbacks, but i have been told this by many (although i still have to check with my local track)...As far as cutting the slit in the headrests for the shoulder harnesses I am aware of that and will be having that done (Does it matter how high below or above the shoulders the belts have to pass through?)...The only reason I was even worried about all this is because of that section from the rulebook i posted in my original question it says must be secured to the crossbar, so i thought it had too...also, where can i find the stock eliminator rules without paying for them- are they online?

As far as the rear bars go i agree guys about letting them run as far back as possible...I actually really like the way my dad ran them, although the picture crackedback posted does look like a more ergonomical way in terms of having backseat usage (as long as they arent tall)...Although its hard to see in the original pic i posted, my dads bars cross and run all the way to the back of the trunk and are welded with plates to the frame for maximum rigidity and i agree if your going to do it go the extra mile and do it all the way.

Like i said, this is all for future just to make sure i dont spend money recovering seats and then have to do it a couple years later for when a cage goes in since i aint made of moeny (none of us are)...Yes this car will get driven alot on the street, but most of the time it will be me and a passenger if that, so im not too concerned about lugging a full family for a vacation

The stock seats really don't have any material to bolt them to the crossbar with, any track tech guy that is telling you this doesn't know what he's talking about. I have yet to see a Stocker with the seat bolted to the crossbar.

The belts should pass through the seat slightly below your shoulders so it can continue on a downward angle to the crossbar to keep you in place should the unthinkable happen.

The Stock Eliminator rules are in the same NHRA rulebook as the general regulations that you quoted from originally. It says nothing about bolting the seat back. I still say that general regulation 6.2 is refering to aftermarket or fabricated seats, not the stock seats.

We need a reply, about a roll cage being unsafe.
i would not count on that happening, seems like a certain someone is all about attitude.....i know i am impressed by it......:-D:-D

I would kind of like an explanation of why they aren't safe for street cars as well.

The super stock clones, with those A100 style seats... are those legal? I saw a couple of them using those low back seats and shoulder harnesses and was kinda wondering about it. Not really much support for the head/shoulders.

I would kind of like an explanation of why they aren't safe for street cars as well.

The super stock clones, with those A100 style seats... are those legal? I saw a couple of them using those low back seats and shoulder harnesses and was kinda wondering about it. Not really much support for the head/shoulders.

The cage is just a pain to get around. If you get in an accident it's tougher for the people in the rear to exit. Also most rear bars aren't padded, so the risk of injury to your head goes up to rear seat occupants.

I wouldn't personally ever tote my family, friends around in a caged car except for one front seat passenger.

Low back seats w/o headrest, you need to incorporate a headrest into the cage itself. Drop it down off the main hoop.

The stock seats really don't have any material to bolt them to the crossbar with, any track tech guy that is telling you this doesn't know what he's talking about. I have yet to see a Stocker with the seat bolted to the crossbar.

The belts should pass through the seat slightly below your shoulders so it can continue on a downward angle to the crossbar to keep you in place should the unthinkable happen.

The Stock Eliminator rules are in the same NHRA rulebook as the general regulations that you quoted from originally. It says nothing about bolting the seat back. I still say that general regulation 6.2 is refering to aftermarket or fabricated seats, not the stock seats.

Thanks for the info man! much appreciated!

The cage is just a pain to get around. If you get in an accident it's tougher for the people in the rear to exit. Also most rear bars aren't padded, so the risk of injury to your head goes up to rear seat occupants.

I wouldn't personally ever tote my family, friends around in a caged car except for one front seat passenger.

Low back seats w/o headrest, you need to incorporate a headrest into the cage itself. Drop it down off the main hoop.

I couldnt agree more! having a cage will finally give me the excuse to stop bumming my friends around who want rides (i know how much of a pain in the *** it is to get into the back of a caged car)...IMO going in back is fine if your are just going to a show 10-15 mins away (like i have) but for long drives and cruises, driver and passenger at most with a cage...even if it was safe, sitting back there is annoying after about 15 minutes

My understanding of this: The cage means all the energy normally absorbed by the car's body gets transmitted directly to the occupants. Add the overhead bars and the fact that no-one is wearing a helmet on the street and it can get pretty ugly in an accident. On a track, it is rare that a caged car hits anything perpendicular to it's direction. Most of the time it's sliding along whatever wall is there. A frontal hit on a car with a cage will more than likely send everyone first into the halo bar if it's there, or the main hoop if they are in the back seat then out the windshield... Because none of the energy will be absorbed by the body flxing and bending. No car with a cage should be carrying any passengers on the street unless theyare restrained the same as the driver, and the bars should be padded overhead.

i have a friend that builds off road trucks. i showed up one day in the middle of a rather heated discussion about shoulder blelt placement. i know that rule books require the shoulder belts to be mounted in certain areas. that was not the arguement. one of there customers was an ortrhopedic surgeon. and this customer wanted the belts mount moved form the crossbar to the seat mount on the floor in his prerunner. dont remember the reasoning, something to do with if the seat were to move rearward upon impact, the harness would loosen. if the harness were mounted on the seat mount on the floor, this issue would not be present. there was several other issues, this was just the one i remember. any thoughts?

so with all these opinions on cages on the street are a no no, what do you do if its a dual purpose car? street strip cars that run 11.50 or faster need cages dont they? Id actually rather not have a cage although some think its cool, it just gives more reason for a cop to hassle me and its more money id have to spend...but if i want to pass tech when the time comes im going to have to have one, so thats why im looking into this

you gotta do at you gotta do. i am not worrying to much about the collision aspect of it. how often do you plan on driving it? if it is not going to be a daily driver the risk of an accident is low, at least that is the way collectors car insurance works imo.....

you gotta do at you gotta do. i am not worrying to much about the collision aspect of it. how often do you plan on driving it? if it is not going to be a daily driver the risk of an accident is low, at least that is the way collectors car insurance works imo.....

its a daily driver in the sense that it will get driven everyday, but i work full time all day, so it will really only be used at night to go to shows/cruises/ take the girlfriend out to dinner, etc...even when the car gets faster i still plan to use it since i believe in driving the car and enjoying it every minute i can before winter comes...unfortunatly im not old enough for classic car insurance anyways, so thats outta the picture for me

I'm not saying to dont do it. I'd have a cage if the Et's demanded it. But we assume certain risks and that is one of them. I'd rather be in a caged car and hit hard than never hit in an un-caged car running hard aluminum fuel line...:D

-
Back