Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
@71GSSDemon any new progress on the boy’s car?
Just what I tagged you and Matt @Mattax in last night or this AM. So it smokes terribly. It does have 13" of vacuum at idle, but on both ported and manifold vacuum ports. Guessing the throttle blades are too far open. The idle mixtures screws do nothing, even all the way in, runs fine. Again throttle blades open too far and allowing transfer slot fuel? IDK. Thoughts this AM pointed to maybe damaged the valley pan gasket - this could be an internal vacuum leak and the oil vapor/smoke. Also, the vacuum line that runs from the intake to the transmission vacuum modulator is a known source of smoke. If the diaphragm failed, engine vacuum can pull trans fluid (Not Bud Light @memike has a case though) into the intake near #4 cylinder. This could explain the smoke on passenger side. Plan is as follows:

1. Change carb to the Holley and try
  2. Unplug the transmission vacuum hose – maybe a diaphragm is bad and possibly pulling fluid up???
  3. Pull oil fill cap and see if there is a vacuum vs blow by – this would prove a crankcase vacuum leak
  4. Pull and replace the valley pan
  5. Reassemble and retest
  6. Then if runs correctly, decide if it still needs the converter or return it

Just what I tagged you and Matt @Mattax in last night or this AM. So it smokes terribly. It does have 13" of vacuum at idle, but on both ported and manifold vacuum ports. Guessing the throttle blades are too far open. The idle mixtures screws do nothing, even all the way in, runs fine. Again throttle blades open too far and allowing transfer slot fuel? IDK. Thoughts this AM pointed to maybe damaged the valley pan gasket - this could be an internal vacuum leak and the oil vapor/smoke. Also, the vacuum line that runs from the intake to the transmission vacuum modulator is a known source of smoke. If the diaphragm failed, engine vacuum can pull trans fluid (Not Bud Light @memike has a case though) into the intake near #4 cylinder. This could explain the smoke on passenger side. Plan is as follows:

2. Unplug the transmission vacuum hose – maybe a diaphragm is bad and possibly pulling fluid up???
  3. Pull oil fill cap and see if there is a vacuum vs blow by – this would prove a crankcase vacuum leak
  5. Reassemble and retest
Good call on the vacuum modulator. I’ve had Fords suck trans fluid up and foul plugs before. Sounds like a solid plan of attack. Keep us posted.

Buddy’s son had a big failure. Siezed a wheel bearing. I find bad ball joint and axle and sway bar link. Over a grand to fix. Felling well enough, i got 1/2 done so it rolls now. Will put it on hoist to finish tomorrow.

Hey home from our tournament sorry I missed the party. Glad though to be an almost daily participant of the daily show here.
Went to a small town an hour away with an amazing golf course. Its rated one of the best small golf courses in Kansas.
We played well but missed out on the flight money this time.
Cheryl just missed by butt hair an eagle chip on a Par 4 that would of won the only skin and $500 cash.
Home to do nothing tonight but relax.

Last edited:
Hey home from our tournament sorry I missed the party. Glad though to be an almost daily participant of the daily show here.
Went to a small town an hour away with an amazing golf course. Its rated one of the best small golf courses in Kansas.
We played well but missed out on the flight money this time.
Cheryl missed an eagle chip on a Par 4 that would of won the only skin and $500 cash.
Home to do nothing tonight but relax.
Sounds like a toddy well earned

65 Plymouth 361 4bbl 305hp complete rebuild - auto parts - by owner...
I think I just scored a Weiand Poly 318 manifold.

View attachment 1716107525

The universe is listening

I think that's a scam. His last name begins with a B and ends with N.
The message is code. He is looking to score....

I sent him a message on FCBO.

Evening all, got woke up 3 times today, will be happy when crew change happens and I am back in my normal room. I hope to have the 71 Swinger on the road at the end of the year. Trying to set up another penalty box race for the next year. I want to drive some of my Mopars this next year not just my Fords.

Good call on the vacuum modulator. I’ve had Fords suck trans fluid up and foul plugs before. Sounds like a solid plan of attack. Keep us posted.
So...disconnected the vacuum modulator and smoke cleared up. Win! Still ran rough so I pulled the Edelbrock carb off and put on an 850dp I had on it. After getting floats set, it runs great and is very snappy. Maybe a bit rich yet. Still wants to die when going into gear.

So...disconnected the vacuum modulator and smoke cleared up. Win! Still ran rough so I pulled the Edelbrock carb off and put on an 850dp I had on it. After getting floats set, it runs great and is very snappy. Maybe a bit rich yet. Still wants to die when going into gear.
Well done good sir! That is a win for sure!

Well done good sir! That is a win for sure!
Thanks. I will need to get a new vacuum modulator but that is easy enough. Now just fix the die in gear issues. It runs if idle is increased. But then too fast of idle in park. My feeble brain still feels a looser converter will fix it. Worked for Demon and Dads car. Cam wants to idle faster than converter wants to slip. Idk

Thanks. I will need to get a new vacuum modulator but that is easy enough. Now just fix the die in gear issues. It runs if idle is increased. But then too fast of idle in park. My feeble brain still feels a looser converter will fix it. Worked for Demon and Dads car. Cam wants to idle faster than converter wants to slip. Idk
Yep. It sounds like you need a smaller cam or a higher stall converter.

Didn't mean to log in but had to stop the incoming e-mail alerts from an chatty conversation.
Limited connectivity here, and just running on battery power.
So Seth's car has made even more confused. Turn the idle extra screws all the way in and it does nothing different. Can't find a vacuum leak something, isn't right. Also there is full vacuum on ported port also. WTF! Has 13" vacuum at idle. So, I am wondering if getting enough fuel in carb somewhere to run and that is picking the vacuum up?? Maybe actually has low idle vacuum and the springs are allowing it to run pig rich picking idle up? This is Eddy AVS2. Going to a Holley I have tomorrow.
In my experience vac leak is pretty rare.

Agree- if the spark port is showing the same vacuum as manifold, then the throttles are too far open. Back off on the throttles and bring the rpms up by other means. Repeat as needed until the ported vac drops off - prferably to zero.
Increase initial timing (the actual inital you may have to work toward as its probabling idling too high to be on the actual initial).
Let more air in another way (drilled throttle plates are an example of this but not the one to start with).

Turning the idle mix screws all the way in and nothing happens also proves the throttles are too open. All fuel is coming through the transfer ports. AVS2 is a Carter copy so it has a little more sophisticated idle circuit but I dont think that should effect the tuning approach.

5. Reassemble and retest
I dont know that Holley is magic, but any known good carb should transfer over and ran just about as good on another engine.

The other tests seem reasonable if you think its sucking tranmission fluidand can then confirm or disprove it.

Get the idle down to something reasonable for that combo. Then decide.

Get the idle down to something reasonable for that combo. Then decide.
Thanks as always Matt. The smoke has cleared up now with vacuum modulator disconnected which to me proves it was failing or failed. It helps that I understand Holleys better and that my be the only part. But it runs well, may have to play with an air bleed like the Demon if needed. I bumped up initial timing but then it didnt want to start, So i backed it down until it would.

Last edited:
So another wayward project showed up. I have my work cut out for me now

IMG_4627.jpg

-
Back