Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Holy crap, that is making me want to jump in the truck! Looks dee lish!
Come on over. I have plenty. And some smoked chicken thighs too. Oh and whiskey tasting club tonight!

20230817_180010.jpg

20230817_180119.jpg

Soooo I think the wife is warming up to the idea of me building our own house…

Soooo I think the wife is warming up to the idea of me building our own house…
Chris,
hit me up anytime if you decide to go that route. As you have watched my agonizingly slow progress over the last couple of years doing exactly that. I can tell you all the mistakes I made that might save you some money. Right up front depending on your local regulations you might have to get a General Contractor license. It is not hard but it is an important aspect (here). We also learned some pretty savvy survey land aspects that really impacts the Banks view. Anyway PM me if you decide to do it.

Just not the electrical, plumbing, etc etc. Correct
I will sub that out. There’s a bank here that will let me be my own General Contractor without needing a license. County and state regs allow it as well. But there’s something’s I won’t do, electric and septic being the main ones. Even though I can do the foundation, I’ll probably farm that out as well so it’s done top notch.
Chris,
hit me up anytime if you decide to go that route. As you have watched my agonizingly slow progress over the last couple of years doing exactly that. I can tell you all the mistakes I made that might save you some money. Right up front depending on your local regulations you might have to get a General Contractor license. It is not hard but it is an important aspect (here). We also learned some pretty savvy survey land aspects that really impacts the Banks view. Anyway PM me if you decide to do it.
I’ll take you up on that even IF the wife shuts that down. Right now , it’s looking to be our best option.
He goes that route I am going to invest in the local fire extinguisher company!
Koreson

So I can get a full steel frame building with doors, windows, insulation and siding for 32k, installed for another 12,000. 40x50x18 ft walls, 5/12 pitch. Concrete will be 8500-11,000 depending on which type and how it’s done. That gives me plenty of height for two stories. 9600 for rural water and electric to the site. All with labor included. So the shell would set me back 69,000. I figure 15k for septic. That’s 84,000. Using the same estimating software we use daily at work, the inside frame out, flooring bathrooms kitchens etc, another 80-85k so call it 170,000 for turn key move in 4,000 sq ft with R20 walls and R40 roof insulation.

That’s double the sq ft for 1/3rd of the price of what we’ve been getting from contractors. For the same simple floor plan, but smaller

How about excavation and site work?
Waiting on quotes but most of that will be done by yours truly with the equipment we have on the farm already. The new skid steer came with laser levels and GPS leveling

So I can get a full steel frame building with doors, windows, insulation and siding for 32k, installed for another 12,000. 40x50x18 ft walls, 5/12 pitch. Concrete will be 8500-11,000 depending on which type and how it’s done. That gives me plenty of height for two stories. 9600 for rural water and electric to the site. All with labor included. So the shell would set me back 69,000. I figure 15k for septic. That’s 84,000. Using the same estimating software we use daily at work, the inside frame out, flooring bathrooms kitchens etc, another 80-85k so call it 170,000 for turn key move in 4,000 sq ft with R20 walls and R40 roof insulation.

That’s double the sq ft for 1/3rd of the price of what we’ve been getting from contractors. For the same simple floor plan, but smaller
Ah, building a shouse!

-
Back