Reaction score
I'm getting ready to put a Jegs 2 1/2 inch exhaust system
on my 70 Dart Swinger.
I will be adding a same size H pipe in the system,
my questions are:
Where in the system is optimal for the H pipe after the headers,
and I may not run mufflers, but the system will exit the
rear, how loud would it be.

The 360 motors pretty stout with high comp and 509 cam.

I wouldn't recommend running without mufflers, since they are meant to restrict flow running without them will allow the engine to flow more; but also cause the exhaust valves to get much hotter then there normally suppose to run

besides your local bylaw officers may like to target you

Subscribed. Are you going to post pictures and videos when finished?
The H pipe is part of wave tuning. Since you are running (I assume) a 3" to 2.5" header reducer your wave is different and possibly moot compared to running 3" diameter collector extension. I dont know much but I suggest that the location is dependent on your engine torque band. To optimize the location, length and diameter of the balance tube (and subsequently your engine torque), you should talk to an exhaust tuning guru or research exhaust wave tuning. My 2c.

I wouldn't recommend running without mufflers, since they are meant to restrict flow running without them will allow the engine to flow more; but also cause the exhaust valves to get much hotter then there normally suppose to run

besides your local bylaw officers may like to target you

must be why all things not on the street dont have mufflers... the valve temp in only in relation to cooling system efficiency and combustion chamber temp.

but with open headers you do want to let the motor run for a minute after a run as to not suck cool air and crack a valve or seat, but thats with open headers, no exh

Exhaust placement is not scientific. People say stuff like reversion, backpressure, this and that, when really, all that matters is getting other components out without having to remove the whole frikkin exhaust system.

In other words, put the H or X behind the trans crossmember so you can get the trans out. Make sure it's tucked up and out of the way so when you slam pedestrians, their corpses don't rip your exhaust out. It's all about logistics. Nothing else. I promise. Anybody says different is simply lookin to argue for the next ten pages.

but with open headers you do want to let the motor run for a minute after a run as to not suck cool air and crack a valve or seat, but thats with open headers, no exh

This is an old wive's tale, look at some tractor, aircraft engines, nearly no exhaust at all.

The Rolls such as Merlin/ Griffin and Allison V12 aircraft engines are a good example

I don't see any exhaust system, do you?

V5-121219954.jpg

2585685504_64e38d2c31_z.jpg

This is an old wive's tale, look at some tractor, aircraft engines, nearly no exhaust at all.

The Rolls such as Merlin/ Griffin and Allison V12 aircraft engines are a good example

I don't see any exhaust system, do you?

V5-121219954.jpg

hang on i need a papertowel...

On a more serious note, I don't see why ANYBODY wants to risk tickets by running straight pipes on the street. They tend to be "rattely" sounding, for lack of a better description. V8's sound great out of a set of long tube headers----open, and crappy by the time the sound gets to the end of 12- ft or so of pipe.

The system will start from Hooker Super Comps to
3 in to 2 1/2 in reducer cones from TTI, then the 2 1/2 H pipe
and out the back.
It doesn't have to be like this, I have turbos or Flowmasters.
I'm just weighing options.
It will be driven to local shows and limited pleasure driving.
It might see a little strip and maybe some autocross down the road.
Hopefully, soon as it starts getting cold I can get back on it.
I'm planning all the undercar things so I can go at it after the
frame ties are in.

The system will start from Hooker Super Comps to
3 in to 2 1/2 in reducer cones from TTI, then the 2 1/2 H pipe
and out the back.
It will be driven to local shows and limited pleasure driving.
It might see a little strip and maybe some autocross down the road.

some auto-x courses require mufflers or at least a DB limit

I would at least stick a couple round magnaflo resonators at the rear just before the bumper. There are a few cars around here running full pipes no mufflers they sound like crud!!!! Same as the guys with the electric cut outs, unless you have 11.5 cr or better they sound bad!

Exhaust placement is not scientific. People say stuff like reversion, backpressure, this and that, when really, all that matters is getting other components out without having to remove the whole frikkin exhaust system.

In other words, put the H or X behind the trans crossmember so you can get the trans out. Make sure it's tucked up and out of the way so when you slam pedestrians, their corpses don't rip your exhaust out. It's all about logistics. Nothing else. I promise. Anybody says different is simply lookin to argue for the next ten pages.

They have to get past the oil pan and headers first!

I would at least stick a couple round magnaflo resonators at the rear just before the bumper. There are a few cars around here running full pipes no mufflers they sound like crud!!!! Same as the guys with the electric cut outs, unless you have 11.5 cr or better they sound bad!

well, i have the exhaust cut outs on my ride and i run them open all the time. my car sounds down right nasty.

[ame]http://youtu.be/aLTuGFWyDuw?t=2m4s[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/ovfE81ZxH2k?t=2m55s[/ame]

-
Back