street racing stories..you know ya do it..

-

Dodgenut64

Reaction score
ok this started in the "stop lite action" post, but i love hearing/reading street racing stories so much i thought we should start a discussion. yes, street racin is against the law....but its so hard to resist the temptation. pulling up to the light, hearing another car pull up beside you, getting the rev or thumbs sign of a challenge, light turns green and all hell brakes loose (at this time the song communication brake down by led zeppelin becomes the sound track for the race). gives me chills everytime i think about it.

First off let me tell you we have a show here at "The Whiskey Cafe" in Lyndhurst NJ every Saturday night. This show brings in people from the local car clubs usually to the tune of 200-300 cars. Its in a giant parking lot of this Country Western bar but recently on Saturday nights they have an Oldies band in the club to try and keep these people partying through the show and through the night, it worked!! Anyway my wife and I took the Dart and went out to dinner in the next town and my wife sugested we stop by on the way home. She didn't have to twist my arm. It was to bad I didn't know we were going I would have brought a camera. I tell you there were about 200 cars there and get this at least 35 Mopars. Gorgeous Gtxs, Roadrunners, Coronets, Dusters, Satelites, Challengers, Cudas,(sory not one Barracuda or Scamp), Dartsports, Old New Yorkers, one of the nicest 69 Chargers I have ever seen up close And one beautiful DART, mine.
We did what we usually do parked walked each row, had a drink, revisited our favorites, by the way both of us thought this one Studebaker Silver hawk was by far the most gorgeous car there.

Well we got back to the car and left the show. Now this hot 68 Mercury Cougar was in front of us all the way he kept kicking it in front of me but there was no where to go. As we approached the highway my wife Mary says," you gonna take this ****?" I looked at her and said hold on. Now it was a beautiful night low humidity and cool. We pull on the highway which was empty and runs along side of Teterboro Airport for almost a quarter mile of smooth straight away. I go to go around him on the left and he cuts me off and nails it. I swirved around him at WOT in first. Let me tell you that cool crisp air and my new flowthrough air filter lid came together and ignited. My wife let out a "HOLY **** as she got pushed back in the seat. I was equally impressed as I went flying by this guy. I had him by at least 5 lengths before I got out of it in third gear. Was a hell of a ride.
We went home and celibrated the victory.
It was a great night!
dirol.gif

Ive had a few races with some of those rice burners and stuff, most of them won. The SRT4 was one that smoked me, but at school, I was going to lunch and some weiner in an Lancer turned the corner with me, and I was just kinda poking along and he pulls up next to me and takes off. I was like, ok this is stupid so I just kept cruising, then hes like 4 or 5 car lengths ahead of me and I decide to get on it, I was creeping up to him then he got in front of me before the light. But then a week later at school, he was walking by my car with some friends and was like, "oh, theres that car I smoked." But when my 340's done, I'm gonna blow the doooors off his car. Dave

Sort of a canabalistic story as its an other mopar...

I live in a small town and when I see a nice mopar cruiseign I have no second thoughts of chaseign them down to chat with them. Ended up talking to a guy that had a beautiful 74' 360 Challanger. Lots of cash spent on this car. And me this 21 year old with a tired Duster with an equally tired 340 that was tuned well to hide its issues.

So we go cruiseing and he has this bug to see how the Duster will light the tires up, I dont like doing it in town a sme and my car are magnets for the RCMP already so out of town is less then 10mins we head that way... and get stuck at a red light on the highway. Of course he wants to raise so I load the convertor up and nail it as the light goes green. Had 2 good lengths on him all the way up to 70mph when I backed out of it for whatever reason where it went from divided to single lane rather then pass me on the wide open left he passes me on the shoulder. Shook my head at that.

Gave him a nice smokey burn out and headed back to town... all he could do was talk about building his 360 Stroker next winter. But that engine is another disaster story. Poorly built and over 10 grand later it never ran more then 400kms

Fall of last year I was heading down MacCleod Trail in Calgary when I stopped at a red light beside a 2002 Rustang 5 liter. He wanted to go and since the light had just turned red and there was nobody behind I yelled at the guy in the passenger seat to hold on. I backed up 3 car lengths and roasted the BF's got up beside him and the chicken **** changed his mind. No balls and obviously no ponies. Another quickey for you, last year when I finished the 383 and fired it up my son, who's just started apprenticing as an auto technician, commented that my engine idled really rough. My answer was that that was the sound of pure unadulterated testosterone, don't ever forget it. He just smiled.

P9100005 (Custom).JPG

Used to do allot of street racing a few years ago when I had my 68 Charger R/T. This car had a reputation around town, and I would get a lot of people who would want to challenge me. But the one i liked the best was this 65 Chevelle. I was down town just cruz'n and taking it easy, not really in the mood to do any racing. Well this chevelle keeps egging me on, but I just wave him off. Well, didn,t see him for about an hour or so. I was stopped at a stop light. ( one that we liked to race from) Anyway, I hear a car rive it's engine up, I look over, and here is that Chevelle. Now, I am thinking to my self, I am just down here to take it easy, not looking for any races. Well the light turns green. I let the clutch out easy and started going, when the guy in the chevelle punches it. That's all it took. I punched it and and caught up to him, shifted into second and smoked him. Shifted into third, slowed down and let him pass me. Well, two days latter I saw the chevelle at a body shop with the motor out.

Kindda long but it's a good ricer kill. enjoy.

Back when I was in high school alot of my buddies had fast cars, ls1 camaro's, T/A's, even a couple wild GTP's. Then there was my buddies that were into rice. One of them, Andrew, had a '01 integra type R that he though was the ****. We were always giving each other **** about our cars and having a fun time joking around with each other. Then two of his buddies got the idea that the type R was really faster than the dart. This all got talked up enough till we decided to race. They came over to my house on one Saturday afternoon to go race. There was three of them and they all drove over in their cars. So one of his buddies gets in with me and his other buddy drove his car to chase. Now, the guy that got in with me was about 250 lbs. and I was at the time about 275lbs. So I had 525 lbs. of passenger in my car and andrew just had himself at 145 lbs. in a car that weighed about 500lbs. lighter to begin with. We get out to the place and get them up to a 20mph roll. He honks and then we take off. I let andrew have a bit of a jump and then i gave it just enough gas to give him a fender. Needless to say my passenger was like, "dude he's smokin you!!!". To which i replied,"hey Jamie. I'm only at half gas." I figured it was time to check out, so I did. I planted the throttle to the floor and waved bye bye. I ended up pulling about 10 cars on him by 5500rpm in third. Jamie was freakin out because he'd never been in anything that fast before. After that they quit giving me **** about my car being an old peice of junk.

I live in Las Vegas; and I believe if you want to race it, take it to the track. Way too many people die in my city each year due to street racing, most of the time innocent by-standers. Peace

cudachaser said:
I live in Las Vegas; and I believe if you want to race it, take it to the track. Way too many people die in my city each year due to street racing, most of the time innocent by-standers. Peace

I am sure we all agree that street racing is a bad thing, but we were all young and foolish once. No harm in telling the stories.

1968FormulaS340 said:
I am sure we all agree that street racing is a bad thing, but we were all young and foolish once. No harm in telling the stories.

Agreed! Its fun to tell stories of beating other cars, especially when you are just there cruising along, not wanting to race. Keep them coming!! I've raced on the street before, its stupid, I know that, but sometimes you are provoked into it, and not using the best judgement at the time. Its not easy to tell a car that's messing with you that if you would like race me lets go to the track. Where I live you can only race on Tuesday nights, the other nights are for bracket racing and test and tune nights for cars with slicks. And when you get at the track, its a waiting game. I might get three or four runs in at a night. That is if I take off work and show up at 5 and I'm there until its shut down at midnight. If I come later then I might get two runs in if I'm lucky.

Here's one for you, Back it about 1977 we used to do the circuit in down town Calgary and the quickest car that summer was an insane Chevelle SS with I think a 427, it was probably a 10 second car. Anyway one night we were sitting in a parking lot with some other mopars when this SS pulls to the light and this old 65-66 primered dodge pulls up beside him. This Dodge was new to the circuit but it's presence was now known as it proceeded to absolutely blow the SS into the next century. About 5 minutes later the dodge pulled into our parking lot with the SS in tow and after getting his 100 bucks he opened the hood. Well I damn near fell over backward when I saw the Hemi under the hood with 8 hillbourn injectors and dry sump oil system. Without a big mother oil pan under the Hemi he was able to drop the engine approx. 3 inches hence no hood scoop required for the 8 stacks. The SS driver crapped his pants and we all had a good laugh. :notworth:

speaking of Integra type r's . I sell acuras for a living and you should here these kids when they test drive a RSX type S. You would think it was a top fuel car! Anyway, a guy I work with had a Legend with a loud intake, big blow hole and lots of blingbling groung effects. Now he's always giving me grief about my mopars, so I took him for a ride in my 70 charger (440-6 ported 906's, 550 roller cam) . I kind of idle along up to the freeway entrance and I can see he is not impressed ,,, until I turn the corner and nail it in 1st
boiling the tires, going sideways and then repeat that in 2nd and 3rd. meanwhile he's grabbing for something to hold on to and yelling " holy ****!"

My response is "Yea, and this is my slow car!"

I have to agree with two statements here 1st street racing is stupid but you have to remember,for me atleast, it's something that is in your blood. The feeling of compatition the excitment of being challenged. Everybody builds their car in one of two directions show cars. Commenly refered to as trailer queens or street cars. These are made to be beaten and raced. Lets just call it part of our childhood we can't let go of. The other is keep the stories coming......I like them!!! :salut:

:evil2: It was about 1977, 2:30 AM on rt 119 between connellsville and new stanton, Pa. I was pretty well kicked and it was a hot night. I had the top down on my 1970 jaguar E type. 6 cylinder. What luck, I am on the four lane at one of the rare red lights when a red corvette pulls up next to me. This is like something out of the movies. We left at green, we didn't get on it but just quickly stayed with each other. I was afraid he would dust me, but was surprised, when we got over 100 he stayed with me and when I hit about 128 he was history. :salut: He saw jag taillights :farao:
( by the way I could feel the ***-end of the jag raising at that speed and if it wasn't for the healthy dose of seagram's V.O. in me I would of **** myself)

a couple of years ago i had this chrysler 5th avenue, it had a bluprinted e58 360, headers, no cats, 2:74 low gear 904, 2:94 sure grip 8 1/4. it had all the working accessorys. this car would run 14.80's all day long! i was coming thru town one day & pulled up next to a local teen that had a hot rodded 1971 chevelle, big tires & hood scoop. we got to the next stop light, i reved it & he reved it! we waited on the light, both of us stalled up. i pulled him by 2-car links in two blocks. we slowed down to go over some rail road tracks, we hit it again from a roll. i smoked him again! the word got around town, watch out for the old man in the 5th, yea the one with the tach on the dash!

Well I was 16yrs old. I had just gotten my DL's about 6 months earlier. I was driving a 1971 340 Demon. I had gone to the local mall with my girlfriend. Well we had just about made it to the mall when a friend of the girl I was with, pulled up along side of us in his 1970 Mustang. Well the whole school had already warned me about this guy and his car. Everone in school told me his car was "way fast". He kept romping the gas and jumping ahead. Well I was trying not react. I had just started dating this girl (not to mention I had not been driving long). Anyway I made a quick turn and "got away". So we made our way to the mall and walked around for about an hour. Well when we were leaving we get in my Demon. About the time I put the car in reverse to pull out of my parking spot. I hear someone doing donuts in the parking lot. So I stop and look around. Well the guy in the Mustang is doing donuts and making a huge scene. So I pull out of my parking spot and start to drive off. Well he pulls up behind us and starts "romping the gas" again. Well we go to the other end of the mall and pull into a parking spot. Well he pulls up behind us and we get out of the car and act as though we are heading back in the mall. So the guy yells out "Going back in to shop, or are you running from a race?". Well at that point I said "I am not interested in racing". Well that didn't stop the heckling. So after a quick trip into the store and waiting for the guy to leave I decided that my girlfriend and I would just go get in the car and drive home. I told her "no matter what I am not racing him". Well I put up with his "romping the gas" all I could take. So when we pulled up to a light I asked him "Where do you go to race?" He said follow me.

Well the 10 minute drive to the area where they raced seemed to take 2 hours. My legs were shaking, my heart beating out of my chest. And I kept telling myself "man what are you doing you are going to kill someone and if you don't kill someone DAD is going to kill me when he finds out". Well I told my girlfriend this will be my only race ever because when we get back to school everyone is going to be laughing and pointing at me. And somehow during the trip out to race we seemed to have gathered a crowd of older classmates and the "race crowd". Well we finally made it out the the area where they raced. I had never raced so I said "when do we go?" He said " on the 3rd one?" So I was thinking to myself "Okay the 3rd what??" About that time he revs up and I hear the quickest 3 honks in my life. So he jumps out about 2 cars before I ever left the line. Well I thought "hes gone". So I leave the Demon down in 1st for as long as I was catching him. It sounded like the 340 was fixing to explode so I shifted it up 2 second and he is still out about 1 car but I was gaining fast!!!!!!!!!!! This is about the time we have gone an 1/8 mile or and we are coming up to the parking lot where everyone in the crowd had parked. Now we are pretty much even an the 340 has screamed about as far as second gear was going to take us and shifted up to 3rd and pulled past him and was ahead by almost a car and half at the 1/4 mile where a few of his "buddies" were watching. Well I could tell by the look on their faces, they were SHOCKED. Well after the 1/4 mile I saw the Mustang turn around. I had no idea what to do so I just let off the gas and kept on going down the road and went back to my girlfriends house. Well the next day I got to school. It was "just like in the movies". Everyone was talking, pointing, and whispering under their breath. Well I park and get out of the car. Start walking in to school and I am getting looks from people that I have never seen before and they are saying "way to go", "that was awesome", "man that was great". Well I had no idea what to do or say. I just said "Thanks". I liked cars before the race, but I was totally hooked and knew what I wanted from that point on. And, well I have never been the same since.

well i could wright a book an this ****,i got a few good ones for ya guys,one of my favs was myslef an my bestfriend danny with his 68 gto 406big block,th400,391's an a time slip of 12.6 out at are local open two lane road for about 1 1/2 of straight flat killer drag runs out there no cars are homes just for us kids well it was about mid last month or so when are girlfriends started talking about whos car was faster at school,so we all go out to are spot where theres already 50 cars out there with 65 kids or so all from school an not a one of them have ever seen are two cars go at it this was the first time out with the two lined up,all these kids put out bets on the cars an what not,it was bad *** to see all them kids watching us line up side by side,anyways we pull up to the start my other buddy is the lights with his pickup we go on high beams,we both bring up are stalls,now are cars have crazy stalls im at 3800 he's at 3200 so it was a noise fest out there,the line flash i pull out half car on him he pulls door to door like nothing had happied to him we both rape first gear im at at 6200 when i looked at the tach i had it blink at 6800 he shifts at 5700 he hits second befor me an pulls half fender up i slap second an the 4.56's spin the 275s into a nasty *** spin i pull him with tire smooke blasin my car cant hook for **** so the hole race im spinin the meat i pull him up buy half car agian we flay up the revs in second an im pullin good buy mid second my tires spin at the top of second so i hit third after that i had him buy a car,he hits third an pulls up door to door at the top of third im at 6000 at aoubt 105 i think i to afraid to look at that speed,he doon at 5500 so at the end of the line i pulled him fender door me on lead we both lift at 110 no matter what,so the race was one by the little 318,a month later at school kids are still talking about tha night we have yet to go at it agian with some new mods under both are hood we want more so summer time hits an its on one more time that night was the best an closest race that ive ever seen an been in it was a blast, an seeing all those kids yelling a cheering for us both it was a good ego shot to the head to know that i have the fastest car at are school now hes good for 12.6's an im told im good for mid 13's i dont this is yur norm of the run 318 or is it?

Got three funny ones, but I'll tell the SPD one because it never fails to make me smile :) . Worked @ UPS' Boeing Field operations while finishing college and had to go from my house in Fauntleroy through White Center or South Park, then through Georgetown to get to the Airport...at 0000hrs or 0200hrs, depending on when the earliest flight came in. Except for where I lived, if you are driving around those areas at night, you are pretty much a SUSPECT at some crime. However, the cops would get to know you after awhile and what you were doing in the area- the driver's uniform never hurt to tell all I was not drunk, high, or a practicing,unlicensed 'dealer' . One night I was cruising in my '71 300 coupe through White Center (aka "Rat City") towards SB 509/Georgetown. As I get to the on ramp (which is overhead and winds down), I look up the SB lane to see if there are any cars below. I spot a pair of headlights just coming off the crest of the hill at Top Hat. What the Hell, as soon as I hit the straight away, the pedal is parallel to the asphalt. Some of the folks in BC may remember this particular car- it was custom ordered for the owner of Richmond Chrysler/Plymouth. Built 440 w/a six pack, highway gears...it would bury the speedo at will and I was willing to! I hit the base of the 1st Ave South bridge doing about 130, then slowed down further before hitting the bridge deck, and just coasted off on the Michigan Street exit. As I am coming down the off ramp, I notice a pair of headlights on the bridge. Next, the headlights make a quick right...now I start thinking "If there is a reflection off a lightbar I am in serious ****." Sure enough, the reflection from the streetlight lit up a bunch of rotators on a '96 Caprice. Now I am sitting at the light thinking,"Time to run the plate and get ready to initiate a traffic stop." Yep, signal went green, lightbar went on! Gave the cop the require license and insurance card and he asked me "Do you have any idea how fast you were going?" All I could answer was 'not really.' Dead serious, he looked me in the face and said "You pulled out of my radar and I couldn't get a number. Just slowdown." I was torn- I wanted to simultaneously hug the officer and high five him, but prudence got the best of me so I agreed and slowly drove off

do you know how fast you were going reminded me of a good one.

Date dec 1973 place Hughson Ca, car 1969 RR STOCK EXCEPT for my new glasspacks. I crused a little saw all 3 cop cars at the station. town looked dead so I did a little burnout at the end of main.

Heading out to the farm I was shifting the 883 easy not letting the 383 wind out just chillling home, in 4th at ~ 80 I opened it up a little there was a nice back road that I normaly took at 120+ no kids dogs... about the time the speedo went off scale red lights WAY BACK there... :sad2: I was 17 never had a ticket thought about running but.. I pulled over and was parked when the CHP rolled up.

He told he hurd the car when I was in town and was trying to pace me but i kept pulling away,,, How fast were you going kid? 75? No kid you were pulling away I was doing 85 but I know you were going over 75 so sign in number 24 for 75 in a 65.

Then he started with the fixit tickets....I did not keep the glasspacks long

This is kinds funny. I had a 78 Chevy Malibu, put my friends 307 in it and with my 2.78 gears it could top out nice. Well i changed the carb/intake and was sorting out the timing/jets, I would go out at about 11:30pm to test and tune. ( I lived in Troy, MI suburbs of Detroit )I knew most of our police as my uncle was an officer the next city over. I would take off full throtle on the green light and let off just under the speed limit. Well a cop going the other way must have seen my (Plum Crazy) Malibu flying and turned around to pace me. Red light, she stayed back about 100 - 150 feet and GREEN - GO, I did it again. Long story short, 14 lights later 7 police cars, 9 officers we end up right back where I started, (never went over the speed limit) She lights me up. After the usual liscense/registration deal she proceeds to ask about my exhaust. (I cut open a cheap set of mufflers, gutted them and had a friend weld them back together). I showed her my reciept for the mufflers and my newly installed duals (muffler shop). She said it was too loud and I should take it back. She even looked under my car to see if they were installed. HA no ticket, she really couldn't do any thing about it.
She let me go with a warning, and i went to the local restaurant to meet some friends for a late night snack. Some of the officers I knew were already there on break gave me a standing applause for breaking in the new rookie.
P.S. The Malibu was faster than a 89 Pontiac Trans-Am 3.8 turbo(They won't go faster than 155) Raced one I know :salut:

well i dont have any stories about racing my mopar...but i do have one about racing my motorcycle. I have a Sazuki GSXR 1000 and i was rolling with my buddy on the expressway doing about 65 like posted- when all of a sudden this guy pulls up beside me with a Honda CBR- he pops a wheelie as to tell me "lets go" so we both hit it- the last time i looked down we were rolling at about 120mph and then i really hit it- i blew past him and got off at the next exit-about 15 mins later on my way back home i saw his bike along with side of the road-with flashing blue and red lights behind it

-
Back