Streetspark/DC ignition?

-
Post #15.

Uh..no they didn't. If you are quoting Vizard, read the full story.

Oh yes they did. I don't read or watch anything. I was there doing stuff as it came out. Had a guy insist on putting a used HEI ignition in a 1970 LT 1 engine, see post #24, and it definitely stopped pulling at 4,500 rpm. Same for a Corvette 327. A points distributor fixed both. Chevy junk is cheap and quits or breaks way too often, that is why there such a high demand for that junk. It is not better. Maybe after 50 years they got it sorted out. I don't have a Chevy, I used to rebuild engines and I know better. I don't care what they use.

Last edited:
GM Cap has a sliding window/door & the rotor is screwed on...That could be a FORD cap & Rotor...

I thought I remembered the points being Mopar but it's only been 100 years since I worked on one...

Ford Points Cap & Rotor would make sense...

GM Cap
View attachment 1716145432
It's possible that it uses a ford cap but I read on an old old forum that they use the cap and rotor off the gm 265 (one guy said specifically 56), doing some lookups on rockauto and ebay I found they looked pretty similar to what's on it. The ebay link I found that tune up kit on is expired so I only got the one picture to work off, but the cap and rotor look the same. The ford caps do look pretty similar though...

s-l640.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Below is from Phil Jacobs, PhD, Performance Ign Systems. He also made & sold computer systems, so he knows a thing or two.....
Out of the OEM ign systems, he rates GM HEI #1 followed by Ford, then CVhrys.

He is NOT going to give HEI that rating if it quits at 4500 rpm. There could be many reasons an engine stops pulling at 4500, mech & electric. Electrically, it could be low voltage supply, high resistance leads etc, no name a few.

img319.jpg

A points distributor fixed the problem on both cars. I assume HEI is better now. There were all kinds of HP replacements for the HEI components back in the day. I don't have to work on Chevrolets anymore. I never had a problem with any Chrysler ignition. I have a chrome box in my 66, it is at least 40 years old and hundreds of thousands of miles on it, let alone 2 cars. Had an MSD box just fade away, put the old chrome box back in and it runs like a top. Durasparks were good for about 70,000 miles, after that you better carry a spare. It does not matter how much or how many sparks you have if it is not reliable. My cars never rode on a trailer. They had to work every time. I don't care what books say or who says it. Been there and done all of it.

Last edited:
Well I'm not debating it. I know what I do based on experience and GM had just as many problems with their system as everybody else. I've seen it first hand and not read it out of someone's biased publications. I've said it time and again, a spark plug can only start the fire one time. The Chrysler and Ford systems were both more than enough to get the job done. While I can agree the GM HEI is convenient in that it's all in one, and I even have a big cap HEI in my Ford truck and it's great, I'm not an HEI boot licker. I WOULD have retained the Ford Duraspark had the factory distributor harness been intact. If I ever have a problem with this GM style unit, I may put the Duraspark back, just because it's original and cool. I'll put it to you like this. If you had three race cars with Chrysler, Ford and GM ignitions racing against each other, the ignitions would NOT be the deciding factors.

-
Back