stripping to bare metal

-

Realest

gearhead 4 life
Reaction score
I plan to start stripping my dart down to bare metal using chemical and mechanical means. I don't foresee there being any quick progression into panel replacement, body work then paint and don't want to strip to bare metal then have to go over the car again later on because of surface rust from sitting. I think I should prime the bare metal after I have it stripped. My shop is not air equipped at the moment to buy a quality primer and shoot the car myself. Would rattle can primer be a total no no as I am looking for a top quality paint job down the road. It is a cliche but I know a great paint job begins with a solid foundation and I don't want to work again myself. I don't have a paint/body man picked out just yet so I cannot consult with him just yet about what he'd like done. Research seems to bring up the popularity of epoxy primer in today's projects, but read epoxy is a bugger to work with as is clogs sand paper easily. For those of you that have traveled down the road...can you give me some insight? I would like to do as much of the manual work to help in cost saving (and so I be as much of the build progress as possible) but also don't want to work against myself costing me more cash and headaches down the road.

Thanks,
Ryan

Do you think taking it down to bare metal is the best way to proceed? IF you get what is on there nice and smooth and then prime over that and sand again, I would think that would take care of any flash rust issues. Chemical strip to bare metal would flash rust pretty fast I think unless the stripper has some sort of zinc phosphate in it. Sounds like a big project, show us some pics!

no i think the best method would be to blast it, but am not willing to shell out the cash for that right now :(
the projects been sitting for so many years that I just want to get started doing something....you know?
The car has the original paint on it but oxidized and UV baked from years of sitting outside. I will be replacing both quarter panels, a rocker panel, and trunk area.

I'll post pics on my resto thread as I make progress http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=23728

Everyone these days thinks stripping down to bare metal is the best way to go......

Most of the time it isn't.

Why do you think the car needs to go all the way down?

EDIT: Just looked at your pics. In my opinion, it is a bad idea to strip the car all the way down.

At the restoration shop I work at we prefer to not have the customer start this on their own..... When stuff needs to be stripped we have it media blasted (we also get a better price rate then a walk in joe) then use an epoxy primer to seal it, not sure what you mean by it clogs? it's not a sanding primer but the PPG DP40-50-90 doesn't create clogging problems.

Anyway if your going to have someone else do it then I would wait and either do what they tell you or let them do it.

Commonly we will only have the engine bay, door jams, and rusty/damaged areas blasted.

At my shop we charge very reasonable rates that go up depending on how much we have to fix from the owner tiring to do it themselves.

Check out Rad Rides by Troy, he has come out with some kind of coating, that sprays on but is not primer. It leaves the bare metal exposed, but keeps it from rusting. Cheap rattlecan primer is just that cheap, not worth the can it is packaged in!

if u wanna take it to bare metal use a ospho type solution before u paint or not at all ospho retards rust and makes a nice powdery surface that u then just sand

1968FormulaS340 -I guess I am one guilty of thinking stripping to bare metal was the way to go to expose any and all trouble areas.

res1vw21- i know how i feel when i get a mechanical job started by a customer and have to repair botched work. so i understand why you guys dislike having a customer start his own work. #1 reason i'd like to consult and work with my body man before i do this work. i have two guys in mind who's work i have seen first hand. I will contact these guys before i proceed.

71dusterdan - thanks, i'll check that option out.

63Valiant*kiss- i'll so some reading on ospho and talk with body guess about it. thanks

yeah was scared of the responses I was gonna get from you guys as I knew in the back of my mind the truth. Basically I just want to do this right the first time as I'm sure most of us do.

-
Back