Stumped need help!

-

superdart360

Reaction score
Hello All!

I have a balance question. I have a 92 small block 360. I have a 74 727 torque flight trans. I have a B&M 2000 stall neutral balanced torque converter. And I have the B&M balanced flex plate. My Problem is that I was told that my motor was a Magnum 2 years ago when I bought it however it did not have magnum heads on it nor did I further inspect the truth behind this. It is date stamped as a 92. So when I ordered the parts my understanding was the magnums where internally balanced so I purchased parts for that setup. But now that its all together and working my car shakes.

So I am looking for someone please to tell me if a 92 can be a magnum! Do I need to order the mopar balance kit for my torque converter? Is the harmonic balancer different? If someone can give me the rundown that would be great!!

Thanks for any help
Superdart360

My Car Pictures
http://picasaweb.google.com/larry.zerr/71DodgeDart?feat=directlink

I'm pretty sure but can't quite remember but I beleive that in 92 only 318's were magnums and the 360 didn't get the magnum treatment until 93 maybe 94. One of the best ways to tell would be to pull a head and look for an oil passage in the block, only LA motors had this as magnum motors oil through the lifters and pushrods. Your 360 should be an externally balanced motor I beleive so if you have the B&M flexplate with the slice out of it and a neutral balanced converter with the right harmonic balancer it shouldn't vibrate at all. You shouldn't need to balance your converter, I can look around the shop and compare a magnum balancer to an LA balancer and try to give you an answer. If the rattle your car has is while driving take into consideration things like Is the driveshaft balanced properly? Are the tires balanced? All can cause vibrations.

Thanks! I will have to pull a head and check but I think you are right. To clarify my car didn't shake with the 904 tranny that had a weighted torque converter. I thought at the time that it was setup wrong but looks like I am the one that has set it up wrong now.

Thanks again!

and don't forget the trans mount. if it is shot, the end of the trand has a tendance to vibrate. i've had this happen more than once.

WAIT!! don't go through all the trouble of pulling a head when you can just look at the valve cover. is the cover held on by 5 bolts or 10? if 5 then it's an LA 360, if 10 then it's a 5.9 magnum. also are the intake manifold bolts at an angle or they straight? angle = LA, straight = magnum. don't make more work for yourself than necessary. it sounds to me like you have a 5.9 magnum balanced flexplate on an LA engine.

Has 5 bolts on the valve cover and manifold bolts are at an angle. We where told it was a magnum engine with LA heads on it. Is that possible?

Has 5 bolts on the valve cover and manifold bolts are at an angle. We where told it was a magnum engine with LA heads on it. Is that possible?

Possible:Yes, however Likely: NO! In order to put LA heads on a magnum block the block would have to have the oil feed holes I mentioned earlier drilled into it. I highly doubt this was done to your block. As far as the harmonic balancer goes the LA 360 should have a "large" counterweight on it while a Magnum balancer does not. Oh yea, good save by someone on the valve cover thing rather than pull a head, not sure why I didn't just say that lol my girlfriend always says I'm good at making things harder than they need to be. . . I've learned not to argue that tho

Awsome!

Thanks for all the help. Looks like it is a la 360 non magnum. looks like I will need to order the weights for the torque converter. Would this also mean that the 360 is not a roller cam as I was told? Any thoughts?

Awsome!

Thanks for all the help. Looks like it is a la 360 non magnum. looks like I will need to order the weights for the torque converter. Would this also mean that the 360 is not a roller cam as I was told? Any thoughts?

Wait, why do you think you need the weights??

I don't really know much about the roller cam stuff, I do know that some late 80's truck motors were roller cams but I think 90 was the last year of that cause my 91 ram has always been a total dog.

It should be a roller cam engine. All of the Magnums are roller cam engines & the 360 LA motors have roller cams starting in 89. (Same goes for the 318 engines but I think they started with the roller cams earlier, not sure.) What you most likely have is a roller cam LA engine. I think it will be balanced like an externally balanced 360 LA engine. Magnum 360's are also externally balanced but I think the balance is different. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

the 92 is an "LA" 360 where a 92 318 is a magnum...confusing I know. A 92 360 would be identical to a 72 360 as far as balance goes. The balancer will either have an eccentric weight OR a u-shaped chunk taken out of the back side of it. Then you either use a torque converter with the weight or one of the B&M 360 flexplates.

I have a 91 360 truck motor, it HAS a roller cam and HOLLOW push rods (6.74") and is oiled thru the pushrods. The block has the oil feed to the head and the heads are 308's. I don't know it the oil passages are in the heads or not but I'll check if you need to know. It almost looks like they used whatever they had to complete a production run!

-
Back