Stupid people!

-

Moose

Reaction score
So I found a new car/project a 1974 dodge dart sport and the price wasnt to bad, I called the guy and started talking to him and he was nice and he invited me out today to look at the car.

Heres what I knew of the car before I got there, It ran and drove had a 360 and auto, was pretty solid sides for lower quaters, the interior was great, just need some body work and paint and it was good to go and he wanted 2500 for it.

So I went there to his house today with some free time. Nice guy he walked me out his barn where the car was parked. It was in flat black primer, but I start looking and is looks pretty solid, so I pull out my trusty somewhat dusty magnet and ask him if I could use it, he told me go a head, so i started placing it on the upper quarters, rockers, doors, and fender and GUESS WHAT?! All bondo it would barely stick at all!.

So then he open to drivers door and said I could get in, I got in an My foot about with through the floors! I lefted up the carpet and the pans are almost gone!. The seats are wore down to nothing, the dash is cracked horribly, so I asked to see the trunk and there wasnt one.

I asked if he could start the engine. That was the only thing holding me onto this car. He said that he couldnt start it and he popped the hood and theres the engine block.......thats it no heads or intake, not even rods or pistons!

So I told thats all I need to see and I left. I get back to my dorm and he calls and asks what i thought about the car, I said that his ad was a lie and if he wanted to sell it Id give him 400 bucks and Ill haul it away. Well he got all pissy with me so I hung up!

People like this make me so mad!! :mumum: Sorry for the long rant just need to get it out

I feel for ya---Been there done that

I'm 62, and my arthritis is getting pretty darn painful at times, so for me, saddlin' up 'ol paint with the trailer, chains, come-along, tools, etc, is essentially a two day job---

one to load everything up and get the trailer hitched,

then go out the next day for the "prize".

This was about a 100mi round trip a good part of it over low speed county roads.

"Good interior"-----junk, mildewed, and torn. Headliner was torn, roof seams leaking

"Good body" -----failed to mention huge hole in rt quarter, trunk floor completely gone

"Slant 6" ---- also failed to mention that it's been apart for what, 10 years? and is a rusting pile of #### missing parts, some of which are on the ground UNDER the trunk

This kid's ol' lady showed up, and I told her that she "might instill in her son the need to be a little more truthful"

SHE WOULDN'T EVEN BUDGE ON THE PRICE, told me "I have forty acres, it can just sit here."

Well go right ahead

Heres what I knew of the car before I got there, It ran and drove had a 360 and auto, was pretty solid sides for lower quaters, the interior was great, just need some body work and paint and it was good to go and he wanted 2500 for it.
All of that was true, at some point in the past.

I know how you feel. This summer I pulled a car hauler 4 hours round trip to look at a truck. The owner claimed that it had only minor rust issues. The truth was the truck was junk. Waste of gas and time. :angry7:

Last summer I drove 5 hours one way to look at a 340 4 speed Swinger. When I got there I soon found out it was a 318 auto car although the exterior of the car was totally restored and nicely too. The interior was full of old engine parts. I was pretty disappointed because the car wasn't cheap. A woman was selling it as her husband had passed away 5 years ago so it was hard to be mad.

I bought a 1969 440 off craigslist for $400. I drive two hours to pick it up only to find its a 383. I still took it at a much reduced price but man what a let down.

I bought a 1969 440 off craigslist for $400. I drive two hours to pick it up only to find its a 383. I still took it at a much reduced price but man what a let down.

My first question used to be "how do you know it's a 440?"

I just LOVE people selling intakes or distributors "fits 383/ 440"

Your right I probably should have asked that, but the guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Lesson learned.

my dad buys and sells cheap cars so we get a fair amount of calls like these but most of the time their new cars...we had a classic over thanksgiving break when a women wanted to sell her taurus so we drive about 30 min to go look at this taurus and she said to meet her in the part source parking lot...we pull up and see a silver taurus parked and it looks like someone cut the springs on it...ya know "lowrider"...anways long story short we find out this women is living in this car; thats way its sitting low. So she tried to sell us her house with all the things still in it so she could get a bus and plane ticket.

If we had the attitude of those two who are selling those 2 cars, our cars would be worth big money, unfortunately persons like those two think their cars are worth big money because of TV shows. Finding the right car at the right price isn't all that hard and some traveling may be involved, but their out there. Here is southern Oregon I come across fairly clean Mopars all the time and if you have something specific in mind, besides telling me as I'll be on the lookout for you, check out Craigslist, Medford Oregon or the rest of Oregon for that matter as Oregon is Chevy country and things here are pretty reasonable, that is, everything but my 64

my dad buys and sells cheap cars so we get a fair amount of calls like these but most of the time their new cars...we had a classic over thanksgiving break when a women wanted to sell her taurus so we drive about 30 min to go look at this taurus and she said to meet her in the part source parking lot...we pull up and see a silver taurus parked and it looks like someone cut the springs on it...ya know "lowrider"...anways long story short we find out this women is living in this car; thats way its sitting low. So she tried to sell us her house with all the things still in it so she could get a bus and plane ticket.

Wow thats kinda creepy.....:sad5:. My first truck I bought off my dad.....after I gave him the money he tells me its the truck i was conceved in....:vom: and once I graduate college I get his 1977 Pontiac Trans am SE (bandit car):toothy10: which I was born in

moose your nuts lol...ive been in cars that poeple died in but thats going to happen with u salvage cars.

If we had the attitude of those two who are selling those 2 cars, our cars would be worth big money, unfortunately persons like those two think their cars are worth big money because of TV shows. Finding the right car at the right price isn't all that hard and some traveling may be involved, but their out there. Here is southern Oregon I come across fairly clean Mopars all the time and if you have something specific in mind, besides telling me as I'll be on the lookout for you, check out Craigslist, Medford Oregon or the rest of Oregon for that matter as Oregon is Chevy country and things here are pretty reasonable, that is, everything but my 64

There are good deals out here, and there getting better. I don't know if thats good or bad.

Sounds like the seller is trying ride the now disappeared wave of expensive and Barret Jackson prices.

Your offer sounds very fair if it was in the condition you described. I went and checked out a 68 D100 pickup and it was just completely covered in bondo that looked like drywall mud. It wasn't overboard rusty but there was enough of it there for me to not want to deal with it. The guy was only asking $900 which wasn't crazy or anything. I told him I didn't want it a few times and he just kept asking me to make an offer. Finally I told him $200 and he basically told me to get off his property lol. Don't try and force me to offer you something for it because it's not what you're going to want to hear.

My brother in-law drove from Columbus, Ohio all the way to Texas to get a truck. The seller sent him photos of the truck and it looked pretty decent from the pics. The problem was the pics of the truck were taken before the owner beat the crap out the truck. He got down there and seen the truck. He told the seller he wasn't buying it and the seller got ticked. They argued over it. The seller thought that since my bro. in-law drove all the way there that there wasn't anyway he wasn't going to buy it. He thought wrong. Bro. in-law just wrote it off as a road trip.

I don't understand "ran when parked" in an ad. It tells me nothing. It's like saying "new when built".

I made it a habit many years ago never to buy a car in primer, I'd rather have faded original paint so I can see what's going on rather then bring a magnet with me

-
Back