Stupid Question about swapping a 64 Torqueflit transmission to an 4.2 inline 6

-

fastcorgigarage

Reaction score
Like the title suggests wanting to ask a stupid question so please be prepared, and try to hold back the harsh comments.

I'm wanting to know if it is possible to easily mount a 63/64 Torqueflit transmission to a 4.2/4.2L inline 6 engine.

The reason for this is my jeep decided to Grande it's engine. So I've decided to **** can the current 4.0L engine, and swap in a 4.2L to rid myself of a wiring mess / computer system that is faulty at best. So I'm going to a good old fashioned carburetor set up. This means eliminating me entire factory wiring harness and all computers. I know that is always necessary, but considering this vehicle has wire patches throughout its entire system, it is cheaper this way for me. I have access to a cheap 64 Torqueflit transmission, so I wanted to set up the push buttons in my center console, and bolt it in. I love the push button set ups, I know a lot of people hate them, but I love the look and feel of them.

Good question IMO.

If it was possible to see up close the two bell housing bolt patterns, that could help. I’m assuming the parts in question are not close to each other.

If one of the pieces is outside of the car, (engine?) perhaps a Small piece of cardboard can be used to cover the backside of the engine. Then use a screw driver to poke holes through the cardboard into the attaching screws holes. Now you have the bolt pattern to line up against the trans.

That’s 1 thing down. Next is depth of trans shaft, thickness and the cranks ability to accept the input shaft.

Good question IMO.

If it was possible to see up close the two bell housing bolt patterns, that could help. I’m assuming the parts in question are not close to each other.

If one of the pieces is outside of the car, (engine?) perhaps a Small piece of cardboard can be used to cover the backside of the engine. Then use a screw driver to poke holes through the cardboard into the attaching screws holes. Now you have the bolt pattern to line up against the trans.

That’s 1 thing down. Next is depth of trans shaft, thickness and the cranks ability to accept the input shaft.

Thank you for the input, I honestly didn't think of something as simple as making a template. I will do that as soon as I get my engine pulled. As far as the ability to take the power, I would imagine that is entirely possible, since I'll be using a 904 model push button Torqueflit, if memory serves me right it was used for small block V8 applications as well as the slant six setup. I do see the concern with the total length as well, this is a very good point you brought up, I'm only worried about overall length when it comes to being able to mount the trans, I already planned on having to get my current driveshaft modified for a swap like this.

Thank you for the input. I appreciate it and now have much more research to dive into.

Actually it wasn’t the total length of the transmission but the flex plate from engine to transmission fitment.
Or as I started to make a mistake in saying the input shaft of a manual trans into the back of the crankshaft.

Mount the engine first and worry about the transmission mount later as it is easy to make and mount.

-
Back