Suggestions about donating a car

-

fastcorgigarage

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any colleges, universities, vocational schools, or high school automotive programs that accept vehicle donations? I have a project that I'm not going to get around to due to moving and custody battles, and I would love to see some kids get some mechanic experience and sell it to help a school out.

Does anyone know of any colleges, universities, vocational schools, or high school automotive programs that accept vehicle donations? I have a project that I'm not going to get around to due to moving and custody battles, and I would love to see some kids get some mechanic experience and sell it to help a school out.

look for 501C3----they are non-profits and you can write the donation amount off on your taxes.

You can find a non profit that will take the donation, add to the value , and then give it away to a needy person- That allows you to deduct the fair market value of the car- rather than one that has it hauled away by a salvage yard and gets maybe $40-$300 for it.
That situation applies to a more modern driver rather than a collector car-

I take donations for teaching young kids how to strip cars and sell parts. Go to You rip-em we Strip-em school of knowledge. Donations picked up at your cost. let me know what ya got.

look for 501C3----they are non-profits and you can write the donation amount off on your taxes.

Just be careful who you donate to.(do some research)

My folks donated my mom's running/driving van say 10yrs ago. Filed all the right paperwork and kept documentation. 3-4yrs later they got calls from collection agencies about unpaid parking tickets. All dating a few yrs after they donated the car.

Mcpherson, Ks has a college just for the automobile, Jay Leno donates to it. check your local community college they might have classes that could use a donor. any technical colleges close to you? Pitt State, Independence CC? If you want to deduct it will have to go to a non-profit with the 501c3?? Good Luck Lawrence

I have checked my local schools and they don't accept whole cars. They only work on car people bring in to get fixed and then take back. I just want to donate it to a school that so some kids can get hands on experience and hopefully sale it to go back into the auto mechanics program. I honestly don't care to much about getting money back on taxes I just want to see the car get a new life and bring smiles to more peoples faces.

Mcpherson, Ks has a college just for the automobile, Jay Leno donates to it. check your local community college they might have classes that could use a donor. any technical colleges close to you? Pitt State, Independence CC? If you want to deduct it will have to go to a non-profit with the 501c3?? Good Luck Lawrence

I just got off of the phone with the McPherson college and I will be most likely donating to them.

Thank You, VDART

That is cool...

I was told that they are a full non profit college and that they will give me all of the appropriate paperwork for my taxes. I have to call back on wed to talk with a Brian Martin to get everything worked out.

They take donated cars in fix them up, then use it as a show car to promote the college, and finally sell it at a auction house to put money back into the program. :burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

What kind of car are they getting?
They are getting a early a body dart. Every time I got the money together to fix it something came up and the funds had to go else where. I tried to sell it but I got tired of dealing with dozens of people offering scrap prices.
My wife and I have been talking and we decided that donating it would work out best for us. We would love to see it done and the school promises to restore it, use it as a show car for a while, then auction it off to raise more money for the college. I figure if I'm going to give it away I might as well give it to a worthy cause.

-
Back