Super Charged Slant Six

-
:blackeye:

I did... and I went to the Wallace Calculators site, an online computer dedicated to mathematically predicting e.t.'s and speeds from weight/horsepower figures.

I don't know how accurate this program is, but experience with it has proven it to be SOMEWHAT accurate. I would be the last person to say it's anything approaching "dead-on." Too many variables to take into consideration.

But, for example, and just for grins, lets look at the results for Mark's engine, a pretty maxed-out combination, currently running very well, I think:

He's looking for an 11.3, having just run an 11.43, at (I THINK) 2300 pounds.

Wallace says that (11.3) will take 315 horsepower, at 2300 pounds.

At that same weight, a 10.90 would take 351 horsepower, or approximately 1.5 hp per cubic inch.

Call me a doomsayer, but Mark's car is VERY LIGHT for an A body (at 2300 pounds, I believe) and 1.5 horsepower per cubic inch is asking a LOT from a slant six cylinder head normally aspirated, regardless of how much work has been done on it.

I don't know if your plans include the Dart body you're currently running, and whether you have plans to adapt some form of 4-valve head to a slant 6 block, but without an EXTREMELY light chassis AND a 4-valve head, I don't see this happening (a 10-second NA Slant 6) in MY lifetime (which won't be very much longer, in any case...)

With the small bore/long stroke configuration that is part and parcel of the /6 design, and the limitations that come with it relative to valve size, the breathing that would be required to make 1.5 hp per cubic inch just doesn't seem to be there.

Bore and stroke it to 280 cubic inches, and all you've done is make an already poor-breathing engine, worse.
I don't think this 10-second car is gonna happen, normally-aspirated.

Just my 2-cents.

Now, tell me what's wrong with my argument...:blackeye:

Yep weight is king.

Been thinking how cool it would be to have a turbo slant in a sand car.

400-500 HP and only be around 1500LB:eek:ccasion:

Still would get smoked on buy my Grampas old 1973 200HP VW sand car but it is only 700LB.

But like I said.
Weight Is KING:joker:

"well it probably wont be a 4 valve head but something of the sort..."

Hmmm.... a 3-valve head????

I give up... My imagination is limited.... obviously.

IMHO, the limiting factor on power production with a /6 motor is NOT the size of the motor, but rather, the breathing ability of that cylinder head that has breathing commensurate with a 170 cubic inch motor.

And, there is not much that I am aware of in terms of a head that woud flow sufficient numbers for 250 cubic inches, much less 300.

But, what do I know? You've built a lot more of these motors than I have...:notworth: And that's the truth!!!

lol bill.... building the same motor twice doesn't count! it was my fault that top ring broke so i think were even one and one??

but yea how do chevy 305 pistons sound? 3.875"

805 Are you going to use Ford Head?

heavily modded slant head is what im thinking... but outside the box kinda thinking

lol bill.... building the same motor twice doesn't count! it was my fault that top ring broke so i think were even one and one??

but yea how do chevy 305 pistons sound? 3.875"

heavily modded slant head is what im thinking... but outside the box kinda thinking

Ok explain the 305 chevy pistons?

I personally had my hands on this particular build all the way from R&D, fab and production. As far as stoker scamps coments of the underhood filter...The engine is cooled by W/M and runs on E85 so no intercooler is needed. AIT's under boost are always below ambiant. 1/4 mile times are estimated off of 1/8 mile times. The car only made one 1/4 mile pass and during that pass, the front cover on the converter failed and oiled down the track. After the converter was replaced we took it to our local 1/8 for tnt. The car definatly has a high 10 in her.

I'll be glad to answer any questions about the Nitti's build.

about the comment from stroker scamp...That kind of attitude is usually hanging in a small block chevy guys closet! This car was well built to what Steve wanted...And it will run the number he wanted also! This car is beutifully done and the owner is a super nice guy. So if you have a street driven slant six that is nicer or faster please post pics and stats! Oh yeah...If you're ever up in this neck of the woods pick a track and we will see how that air filter works!

I personally had my hands on this particular build all the way from R&D, fab and production. As far as stoker scamps coments of the underhood filter...The engine is cooled by W/M and runs on E85 so no intercooler is needed. AIT's under boost are always below ambiant. 1/4 mile times are estimated off of 1/8 mile times. The car only made one 1/4 mile pass and during that pass, the front cover on the converter failed and oiled down the track. After the converter was replaced we took it to our local 1/8 for tnt. The car definatly has a high 10 in her.

I'll be glad to answer any questions about the Nitti's build.

what is the crank..custom or stock stroke ?
rods same questions ?
mains ?

Well all I can say is out of the thousands of cars at Car Craft this year this one was my favorite!!! Very nicely done!!!

what is the crank..custom or stock stroke ?
rods same questions ?
mains ?

The crankshaft is stock forged and offset ground. Bore and stroke numbers come out to 262 cubes.

moparsofmn,
You've got the dart sport that we we pulled in next to right? It was good to meet you! What happened to the rear quarter on your car?

-Jim

moparsofmn,
You've got the dart sport that we we pulled in next to right? It was good to meet you! What happened to the rear quarter on your car?

-Jim

Nitti's Duster accidently rolled back into it. When he was ready to leave and put it in 1st it was actually was in N. (Reverse manual valve body.) When Nitti looked down at the shifter and relized it was in N the damage was already done. The Duster only ended up with a slight scratch and we fixed and painted it this weeked. The Dart? not so good but we'll start the body work on it very soon.

Yall can talk about me in the first person like I'm here, cause I am. I stand by what I said. Any engine, regardless of what type build will benefit from cool air that is directed from out of the engine bay. I'm no forced induction expert, but have built a few roots blown engines in the distant past. I do know they also benefit greatly from an intercooler, regardless of how the build was done. I wasn't meaning to knock the build. It's great. I'm jealous....I wish it was mine. But if it was, the inlet side of that blower would be substantially different. Ok. Yall can talk about me again.

lol nope... i have at least 5 years before i get to build this motor and i dont want somebody to build it before i do...

.....*raises hand*........ I know the answer, I know the answer!!! lol

.....*raises hand*........ I know the answer, I know the answer!!! lol

My opinion (though nobody asked... lol) is that, if through some esoteric arrangement of parts in the reciprocating assembly, you could, somehow, build a 325 cubic slant 6 motor with a decent (1:1) bore stroke ratio, unless a free-flowing cylinder head (300 cfm, intake; 240 cfm, exhaust) can be fitted to this "wunderblock," it's never going to perform very well.

Horsepower is all about moving air... in this case. lots of it. I don't see ever getting it done, normally-aspirated, with a cylinder head that was designed to feed 170 cubic inches...

Just my 2-cents.:pain10:

why use a slant six with force induction when i can beat you with a small block v8 for a lot less time and a heck of a lot less money?

why use a slant six with force induction when i can beat you with a small block v8 for a lot less time and a heck of a lot less money?

Because this is the slant six section... :sign3: i'm joking, kinda, but really haven't you heard "to each his own"

i have, trust me ive had my odd ball moments too, some i wish i never had (2jz toyota into a 72 dodge charger anybody)

i have, trust me ive had my odd ball moments too, some i wish i never had (2jz toyota into a 72 dodge charger anybody)

Did it go fast? That's the goal right... to me anything that's quicker then 13's is fast. The new chargers and challengers are boring in my opinion... I'm thinking about doing a turbo slant, I've got a 318 in the garage but i cant get excited about that. I've thought about fuel injection on my car too, I've got to learn some how.

no it didnt materialize, im only 16 and it turned out to be a huge fabrication job and my old man stopped it so now i am selling the charger for 6000 obo to pay bck my parents the 5500 for my dart which is pictured

Because the owner bought it brand new and always dreamed of making it faster than most! If the car had a nicely built small or big block in it people would walk by and not pay to much attention to it. With its current set up people are always looking at it! Besides there is always somebody faster so he built it the way he wanted it!!! MOpower to him!

moparsofmn,

-Jim
Hey jim,
Yeah that was my dart sport. As hemidup said we had a minor shifter malfunction on Saturday afternoon that left the drivers quarter bruised! Steve being the stand up guy he is...made sure everything was taken care of quickly with insurance company. He felt worse than I did! A little work and some more FY1 yellow and the cornburner will back to the way it was! It was good to meet you too. let me know if need anything for your ride. We are always happy to help! Randy

-
Back