Super hot Battery

-

65_Dart_GT

Reaction score
1965 Dart (all original)
the battery became very hot so I took it out. My guess is it is not much good now. Should I be taking out the alternator and having it tested? Should I have the voltage regulator tested?

I don't want to put a new battery in hoping it's the fix and it's not. Any thoughts?

More than likely its being over charged (full fielding). First check the voltage accross the battery terminals, should be about 12.5 not running and no more than 14 running. If high than first check the voltage regulator. If its good then there can be an issue in the alternator or wires to and from regulator. I just had this issue last week ansd found a splice that had come apart. Use a mutimeter to test the wires.

Whatever you do, wear eye protection. Batteries can explode given the right circumstances.

older cars used positive voltage to regulate alternator, newer cars used negative so if you grounded the field term, your alternator would be full boogie charge. If you are at full charge all the time and are boiling out the battery, your regulator has failed or wiring has shorted to ground/a very weak positive somewhere. I think the changeover was late 60's. Something like this..but you get the idea.

I think the changeover was late 60's..

Change in Mopars to isolated field (come call it dual field) was 1970 and later.

I agree, some problem in wiring or the regulator. I ALSO agree "BE CAREFUL"

Most auto parts stores will test batteries and alternators for free if you don't have the equipment to do it.

Thank you all for your great replies!
I'll get to here I hope this weekend and check into all the different issues and let you know what I find. By the way the battery is out of the car (since last August), I figured it was pooched, maybe not, I'll check before I purchase a new one.

If I recall correct from training 25 years ago;

If the battery is sulfated inside, that would add resistance
to the plates causing overheating when charging.

Take the battery to an Auto Centre and have them test it.

Lee/ cavemanmoron

If I recall correct from training 25 years ago;

If the battery is sulfated inside, that would add resistance
to the plates causing overheating when charging.

Take the battery to an Auto Centre and have them test it.

Lee/ cavemanmoron

Would putting the battery on a charger tell me if it is any godd or would it heat up to if it is sulfated? =P~

Would putting the battery on a charger tell me if it is any godd or would it heat up to if it is sulfated? =P~

If the batteries plates are sulfated off it will still take a charge but will have a drastically reduced capacity, It'll go dead fast. Have it tested and they'll put it on a carbon pile that will tell you how good or not the inards are. It got hot because it was being overcharged, for whatever reason, alternator, voltage regulator or just bad grounds. The charging system must be checked out from one end to the other or next time the battery could melt down and you'll have acid everywhere.

Put the battery charger on it. Check the voltage before turning it on. If it
is 12 volts, start the charger. If the voltage go's over 15-16 volts the plates
have sulfated. Junk battery. Also possible shorted plates. Be VERY carefull
doing this. Wear leather gloves handling the battery and used eye protection.
When you put the battery on the charger. Keep the cables at full length
from battery to charger when doing this. Set it all up to stand back away
from that bomb, the battery. Be carefull!

Thanks again for all the replies and info. I think it best just to buy new one due to closer inspection the one side of the battery is slightly bulged so I think I'd rather not play around. Any suggestions short of NAPA for a decent battery for an original 65 GT?
Can I go up in years like for a 70's swinger etc. and still be OK?:book:

Some of the best rated batteries lately have been from CostCo. They have pretty reasonable prices too.

Thanks again for all the replies and info. I think it best just to buy new one due to closer inspection the one side of the battery is slightly bulged so I think I'd rather not play around. Any suggestions short of NAPA for a decent battery for an original 65 GT?
Can I go up in years like for a 70's swinger etc. and still be OK?:book:

Yes, series 24 was used many years,
for example, a 1980 Dodge Aspen used a series 24 battery.

Overcharging will cause a hot battery.

The original 2 terminal regulator is a simple relay, basically a "two speed" field regulator. The alternator has one field brush grounded, and the other one connects to the output side of the regulator.

When you energize the regulator, it uses the incoming power for a voltage reference, as well as power to the field. When the car is first started, the alternator is receiving full field power. As the system voltage rises, the relay receives a high enough voltage to open the full field contacts. This leaves the field powered through a resistor in the regulator, which gives the field less power than the direct contacts, and lowers the output. This is part of what can make the ammeter needle "twitch", the relay switches suddenly when the charge voltage hits about 14.8v.

The three big causes of overcharging are bad reference voltages, failed relay windings and welded or stuck relay contacts.

The relay inside the regulator can fail. This will leave the ammeter leaning toward charge, and an overcharging condition. You will see charging voltages over 15 volts.

The contcts can stick or weld together. You can remove the cover & clean them with some 600 grit sandpaper folded in half. The symptoms are the same as a failed relay, but sometimes the contacts will unstick with a sharp rap to the regulator case with a screwdriver handle.

Reference voltages are a bit harder to track down. You need to use a decent voltmeter or DMM. With the key on, and the engine stopped, measure the voltage at the two battery posts. Now with the negative probe still on the battery terminal, measure the voltage at the regulator terminal. If the voltage is more than .35 volts lower, you have resistance in the harness circuits. Corroded wires, connectors etc. Turn the key off.

The other side of the reference voltage, is the regulator's connection to ground. The only way it can accurately sense voltage is with a good ground connection. To test this, set your DMM to resistance, or Ohms. Put one probe on the negative battery post. Noe test the resistance to the frame of the regulator - this is the metal base below the cover, or the head of a cover screw - NOT the mounting bolt or screw Should be less than 2 ohms. If it is higher than that, check the mounting bolt next.

Ground resistance on those old regulators is a big issue, and a cause of lots of trouble. A fresh coat of paint on the firewall, and a rusty washer will cause all sorts of odd voltage regulator results. Loose mounting hardware can cause erratic charging. A missing engine to body ground wire will also cause problems.

So in your case I would pull the regulator, and open it up on the bench. Clean the contacts, and re-install it with clean hardware. Clean the mounting pads on the firewall before you bolt it down too. Borrow a known good battery from another car for testing the system, no sense chasing more than one problem at a time.

The check your charging voltages, and go from there.

Hope this helps.

B.

Thanks for the detailed info bohica2xo
I have purchased a brand new battery and I will be conducting the other tests that have been pointed out by you and the other members (with much thanks). I'll post the results I find for sure.

Thanks again to all! :prayer:
Overcharging will cause a hot battery.

The original 2 terminal regulator is a simple relay, basically a "two speed" field regulator. The alternator has one field brush grounded, and the other one connects to the output side of the regulator.

When you energize the regulator, it uses the incoming power for a voltage reference, as well as power to the field. When the car is first started, the alternator is receiving full field power. As the system voltage rises, the relay receives a high enough voltage to open the full field contacts. This leaves the field powered through a resistor in the regulator, which gives the field less power than the direct contacts, and lowers the output. This is part of what can make the ammeter needle "twitch", the relay switches suddenly when the charge voltage hits about 14.8v.

The three big causes of overcharging are bad reference voltages, failed relay windings and welded or stuck relay contacts.

The relay inside the regulator can fail. This will leave the ammeter leaning toward charge, and an overcharging condition. You will see charging voltages over 15 volts.

The contcts can stick or weld together. You can remove the cover & clean them with some 600 grit sandpaper folded in half. The symptoms are the same as a failed relay, but sometimes the contacts will unstick with a sharp rap to the regulator case with a screwdriver handle.

Reference voltages are a bit harder to track down. You need to use a decent voltmeter or DMM. With the key on, and the engine stopped, measure the voltage at the two battery posts. Now with the negative probe still on the battery terminal, measure the voltage at the regulator terminal. If the voltage is more than .35 volts lower, you have resistance in the harness circuits. Corroded wires, connectors etc. Turn the key off.

The other side of the reference voltage, is the regulator's connection to ground. The only way it can accurately sense voltage is with a good ground connection. To test this, set your DMM to resistance, or Ohms. Put one probe on the negative battery post. Noe test the resistance to the frame of the regulator - this is the metal base below the cover, or the head of a cover screw - NOT the mounting bolt or screw Should be less than 2 ohms. If it is higher than that, check the mounting bolt next.

Ground resistance on those old regulators is a big issue, and a cause of lots of trouble. A fresh coat of paint on the firewall, and a rusty washer will cause all sorts of odd voltage regulator results. Loose mounting hardware can cause erratic charging. A missing engine to body ground wire will also cause problems.

So in your case I would pull the regulator, and open it up on the bench. Clean the contacts, and re-install it with clean hardware. Clean the mounting pads on the firewall before you bolt it down too. Borrow a known good battery from another car for testing the system, no sense chasing more than one problem at a time.

The check your charging voltages, and go from there.

Hope this helps.

B.

great write up! didnt know the old on off voltage regulator had an internal resistor to semi power the alternator.

-
Back